Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Stump's Baby Smoker. It's a insulated gravity fed charcoal vertical smoker. They are expensive but no doubt one of the best. Everything I put in it comes out perfect.

Stump's Baby

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Cookshack for 20 years. It used chunks of wood, no pellets, So I get my wood from the forest, no cost. Super easy to use and clean, and temperature controlled. I have a new smoker from Cabelas that is sitting in a box for 8 years. It was a Christmas present, and it is bigger, but I won't give up my cookshack M09.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRYAZFdQZo&list=UUdGMel5F67Xx_DQqXC7ughA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RecTec 680 is what I am using. Holds temp great and cooks well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a pellet grill my wife and I have had a Yoder YS640 for over 5 years and been very happy with it. We have quite a few other grills and smokers, our preferred to use most of the time are ceramic kamado grills. But the pellet grill is our go-to for jerky and also once a year we participate in a local small town ribfest which for that we take the YS640 cause of capacity and easier/safer to transport compared to ceramic.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been intrigued (and skeptical) with pellet grills and just broke down and bought the small Green Mountain (Davey Crocket). First try was burgers to keep things simple and it worked great. Decided to go for it tonight with bone-in Ribeyes - have to say it was one of the better steaks I've had in quite awhile...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had the small Traeger for about five years and have only one complaint. It is dirty burning! All the different items I have cooked, from burgers to steaks to Boston Butts have been delicious. And it's almost impossible to burn anything cooking on a Traeger. My one complaint? They are extremely dirty burning! I have a mostly open air "cook shack and bar in the back of my house which is where the grill is housed. I constantly have to clean a greasy brown film from everything including the ceiling fan. Problem is, the Traeger has to be protected from the weather. Dealing with damp or wet pellets in the hopper is no fun either. Just me............

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for the feedback!

Still trying to decide on a new grill.

The little Woman wants a Kitchen Aid gas grill and I'm thinking mid size Treager, or Green Mountain.

Gotta do more "looking"

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Know several who have hated on Kitchenaid gas grills. I don't know of any negative experiences with a 3 burner Weber gas grill. If you don't go pellet, lobby hard for the Weber.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
30338;

That's GOOD information! Thanks!

I passed this along to the little Woman.

This is what I like about Campfire. A wealth of information here!

Virgil B.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Rec Tec 680 and only cry once! Pricey but it is the last one you will ever need to buy. Great customer service also

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Another question;

Anyone have any experience with Broil King gas grills?

They LOOK better quality than Webber, thicker metal, etc

Thanks for any feedback!

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Go to Amazing Ribs and look at their gas grills reviews. Here's their 2017 list for best value grills. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/top_10/2017-top-10-gas-grills.html

I bought a Napoleon Prestige a few years based on the AR review and love it. The ceramic side burner puts a great sear on steaks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

trf215;

Thanks for the link!

I pulled up the Broil King. Sounds pretty good.

Will go take a closer look at them.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bit the bullet and caved in.

The little Woman got a new Broil King gas grill.

It has to be shipped over from Bend, Or. so we will get it next week.

Got one with four stainless burners and a side burner.

Sure hope it works as good as it looks.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a good one based on the reviews. Made in USA too. Nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
I've been intrigued (and skeptical) with pellet grills and just broke down and bought the small Green Mountain (Davey Crocket). First try was burgers to keep things simple and it worked great. Decided to go for it tonight with bone-in Ribeyes - have to say it was one of the better steaks I've had in quite awhile...

I too have the GMDC and after a week of running it with great results I can only hope that t has a long life ahead. Wonderful burgers, M & C as well fantastic PBs.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I had a small Treager pellet BBQ and was very happy with it, but thought I needed more grill space, so I bought the big Texas, the biggest grill Treager makes.

Well, I've had problems with it from day one. It wouldn't hold temp. So, I ended up buying a "new and improved" thermostat.

It STILL won't hold temp. correctly.

Last time I was using it, after turning the temp. down for slow cooking, it went Ka Boom!

My Wife cam running out of the house to make sure I was OK!

I think what happened, was the auger pushed a clump of fine wood dust on the burner all at once, setting it off like gun powder.

So, I'm giving up on my big Treager, and am in the market for a new BBQ

Anyone have any feedback on the Green Mountain pellet grills?

Thanks! Virgil B.

Virgil,

I have the 'Lil Tex Traeger and it's been my experience that you can turn up the heat anytime but if you turn down the heat, you risk the fire going out in the pot and the grill just keeps feeding pellets. And if you restart without cleaning or there is smoldering pellets in the bottom you get the kaboom / fire. Luckily, I caught this before I had a kaboom. A buddy had a pretty good fire in his after it went out and the pellets built up in the pot.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
rooster7;

Thanks for the feedback!!!

It's nice to know what actually happened.

I'll pass this on to my Daughter, who now has my Treager.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Also Virgil,

Tell your daughter that if this happens to be careful not to vacuum up any smoldering pellets when she's cleaning out the excess. This could cause fire inside the vacuum cleaner, which could lead to a whole world of chitt.

Rooster Jim

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Just got done executing the "emergency shutdown" on my small Pit Boss.............again. Partially my fault, but a design fault with many of them that I'm getting fed up with. I bought the small Pit Boss to try pellet grilling, and love the meat I've done on it, but after a couple "kabooms", hopper fires and flame-outs, I'm getting leery to use it. I may replace it with a Camp Chef or Cabelas (made by CC) that have the quick clean out feature on both the fire box and pellet hopper.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.