Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12106353 06/22/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What do you call a road kill armadillo in Louisiana?

[Linked Image]

Possum on the half shell!

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A bill recently signed into law in Oregon allows drivers who crash into deer and elk on the road to harvest the animals' meat for food.

It's not as rare as you might think.

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles. And advocates say roadkill can be high-quality, grass-fed grub.

Washington state began allowing the salvaging of deer and elk carcasses a year ago.

In Pennsylvania, people can take deer or turkeys that are killed on the road if they report the incidents to the state Game Commission within 24 hours.

In Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown signed the roadkill measure with little fanfare last week after lawmakers passed it without a single "nay" vote.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's what we call 'em here in Georgia.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I picked up about 6 road kill deer when I lived in Georgia. DNR was glad for a civilian to pick up a road kill.
I skinned 'em and quartered 'em and I got a lot of good meat.

Four years ago in the big rig I ran over a big, beautiful 8 point buck on I 10, east of San Antonio about 3am one night.
Hit the big buck right in the ass, really messed up the right quarter panel of my truck. Amazingly, still had the headlight so I could drive.
I pulled over, and went over to check up on the deer. He was alive but paralyzed from the waist down.
Pitiful to see. I got out my buck knife and cut his throat.
The deputy came out and made a report.
I told the deputy, "I am going to get these back straps before I leave."
Now, the hams were trashed but that would have been about 10 pounds of great backstrap. And, I had a cooler full of ice!

The deputy said, "I am leaving. Don't let DNR catch you. I don't know nothing."

From this remark I inferred that it was illegal to cut up road kill in Texas. I decided to leave, and leave the dead deer alone.
It is weird to me that a state would make it illegal to eat road kill.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

Deer jerky!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've only hit one deer in my life. $6300 damage to the car. I called Highway Patrol and they drove 40 miles one way to bring me a possession tag. I have picked up two I did not hit because they were convenient, one I called MHP and they gave me an incident number. The other I just threw in the back of the truck. The first and the last had a combined total of half a cup of ruined meat. The last one was the best eating deer I have ever eaten. The second one was only a mile from deer camp during deer season, couldn't leave that one laying there.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Volunteers in Alaska take care of road killed moose, which are donated to various places. Mostly all the salvageable meat anyway. Mostly...

The ones who have it together have winch trucks or trailers. 1,000 pound moose (plus or minus 500) at 30 below just ain't no joy to retrieve at any hour day or night. The vlunteers are "on call".

Person who hits it is SOL. Otherwise, I'd be out hunting in my old beater truck..... smile

I did score one many years ago - totaled the 1/2 ton of course... and the cow.

Last edited by las; 06/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shake the legs, you can get a quick read on how busted up it is. We are only allowed 1 per 90 days, I think. F'em, why let good deer meat rot.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I never would imagine that it would be illegal to pick up road kill. Around here, we have a big deer population problem. During the rut, it's not uncommon to see a dead deer every couple of miles. Our bag limits are generous and you can basically kill as many does as you want if you hunt with all weapons (firearm, muzzle loader & bow). I average about 10 a year, so I have no desire for road kill, but the critters need to eat too. It seems like a waste, but there's just too many. The county and state have to pay to get rid of them, at least as many as they can. I'm can't believe that the local governments wouldn't want you to take them.

My last one was March of 2016. This one was $4000.00.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It used to be in this state that if you hit a deer, the state would take the deer and pay for your vehicle damages but no more - now you get the deer and the repair bill.. cry
The last one cost me 3500.00 on Christmas night..

Last edited by CEJ1895; 06/23/17.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Right- shake the leg on a moose.. You might need a chiropractor in the near future.... smile. Deer, I can see it.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not sure if it's still the same but anyone who wanted a fresh road killed deer used to be able contact their local Ky State Police post and have their name and phone number put on a road kill request revolving list. When a deer was reported hit and killed on a highway the name at the top of the list was called first. If for whatever reason the first person contacted didn't want or couldn't come and pick it up within a reasonable amount of time, or didn't answer their phone, the second name from the top was called, and so on down the list until someone answered and committed to picking up the dead deer. IIRC, too, whether you accepted the road kill deer or not your name moved back to the bottom of the list again.

Never used it my self but did hit and kill a little doe late at night coming home from work once and threw her in the back of my SUV on a tarp and when I got home I called and reported it to the KYSP mainly for insurance claim purposes. Dispatcher asked me if I wanted to keep the deer for the meat but I told them no, it was too late at night to butcher and too hot to not butcher immediately, plus I was too tired to as I had just got off from a 12 hour shift at work. They said OK and they would call someone from their road kill list that lived nearby to come and pick it up. Within about 15-20 minutes or so a local man I already knew showed up and got it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by joken2

Not sure if it's still the same but anyone who wanted a fresh road killed deer used to be able contact their local Ky State Police post and have their name and phone number put on a road kill request revolving list. When a deer was reported hit and killed on a highway the name at the top of the list was called first. If for whatever reason the first person contacted didn't want or couldn't come and pick it up within a reasonable amount of time, or didn't answer their phone, the second name from the top was called, and so on down the list until someone answered and committed to picking up the dead deer. IIRC, too, whether you accepted the road kill deer or not your name moved back to the bottom of the list again.

Never used it my self but did hit and kill a little doe late at night coming home from work once and threw her in the back of my SUV on a tarp and when I got home I called and reported it to the KYSP mainly for insurance claim purposes. Dispatcher asked me if I wanted to keep the deer for the meat but I told them no, it was too late at night to butcher and too hot to not butcher immediately, plus I was too tired to as I had just got off from a 12 hour shift at work. They said OK and they would call someone from their road kill list that lived nearby to come and pick it up. Within about 15-20 minutes or so a local man I already knew showed up and got it.

Similar situation in Alaska, only the volunteers go out and pick up the moose, if I am understanding the process correctly. I believe we tried it the first way, but so many were incapable of retrieving an animal as large as a moose, that we went to the volunteer pick-up-deliver to road-kill list way. Free meat, anyone?

Last edited by las; 06/23/17.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by joken2

Similar situation in Alaska, only the volunteers go out and pick up the moose, if I am understanding the process correctly. I believe we tried it the first way, but so many were incapable of retrieving an animal as large as a moose, that we went to the volunteer pick-up-deliver to road-kill list way.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Lived in NE PA for 4 years. Ran Fire and EMS. At that time, PA had 40,000 deer vs vehicle accidents per year. Amazing the number of people listening to scanners who would show up an accident scene trying to lay claim. Unwritten rule was that vehicle owner got first dibs. After that ... several heated discussions on the side of the road in the middle of the night over a deer carcass...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
some years ago by meeker colorado, i hit a doe in a blinding snow storm. pulled her off to side of road, passerby said i h ad to report it, so i went into meeker to highway patrol. Lady cop followed me back out. Gave me a certificate for roadkill. Then turned her toplights on on the patrol vehicle, put on rubber gloves, and helped me gut the deer.
I told her i could get her hooked up with any number of my friends, but she already had one, plus was going hunting next week anyway.
I forgot to ask her if she had a boat.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A very long time ago I was going south on California's Highway 5 taking the back way in from San Francisco to San Bruno to pick up my date. Guy is a big Lincoln IIRC passed me going like a bat out of hell. I saw his brake lights come on as he swerved to miss a deer. He failed. I pulled up and asked if he was OK to which he said yes. Fender was a loss but the car drivable so I asked him what did he want to do with the deer. Said he was gonna get the hell out of there and got in the car and took off. I threw the deer in the trunk of my Mustang and went on to pick up my date. Told her we were gonna eat later, went back to my place, hung the deer in the garage and did a fast gut and skinning job. Washed my hand and we went on to dinner. My date asked me what I was going to do with the deer. I told her I'd butcher, cut, wrap and enjoy some very fine venison dinners. Told her she could have some but she declined somewhat forcefully. Only road kill I ever ate. Never could get her to try it.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was living in central Georgia I was dating a nurse who lived 30 miles away. Took her home one night about midnight, she lived with her parents, so I was headed back home on a country road at midnight. Big deer population in this area, last I checked the limit was 12 per year, only 2 could be bucks.

So I came over this hill, very rural area, very dark, and I noticed a pickup stopped about a half mile away, right in the road. In a few seconds, the guys jumped in the pickup and drove off.
As I got near to where they had been, I saw a doe laying right in the middle of the road. Road kill.
She didn't look too badly beaten up just saw some blood on her neck. For some reason those guys in the pickup had decided not to pick her up.
So I threw her into my pickup.
As I started to drive off, I noticed that the truck that had been there before had stopped about a half mile away.
The guys were obviously watching me.
I wondered, "What the hell."
As I drove towards them, they drove off, fast.

Well, it was a warm fall evening so when I got home I strung up the deer and made ready to gut, skin and quarter this deer.
Hung that doe up from a tree and put the headlights on her. I saw that the blood on her neck came from a bullet hole!

Those rascals that I ran off had just shot that deer, and I came upon them just before they had the chance to throw it into their truck.
Good God, if I had known that I had come upon some poachers I would have driven right past that doe and left those boys alone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What will shaking the legs do for you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the deer says pleased to meet you he is not road kill..

If the leg wiggles loose probably will be too damaged to eat.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years ago while driving I saw two crows in the road on a road kill. I made up this poem and my wife wrote it down as I recited it to her.

Two old crows in the middle of the street
helping themselves to a road kill treat
Along came a car doing eighty five
now those two old crows are no longer alive

Now they've become a part of the mess
mixed right in with all of the rest
Before too long they'll be a red spot
and no one will know if they're crows or not

The moral of the story is to kill you're own meat
and don't eat your meals in the middle of the street

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.