Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just got a used one in 22lr/20 ga.

Anyone recommend a peep sight? I think there are aperture sights that fit the grooves for .22 rimfires, but am wondering if they stay put when the 20 ga barrel is fired? Any experience with this?

Haven't had a chance to take the gun apart, but wondering if the trigger is able to be stoned or a spring changed to reduce the pull?

Any experienced input would be helpful. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
24Cs are something of a collectors item, so I wouldn't drill for a peep. I haven't tried a groove mounted peep, but a peep sight weighs a lot less than a scope, so I'd bet that with a little loctite you could get one to stay put. That just leaves the question of whether the front sight would be the proper height.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Not worried about collecting. I don't find anyone making a receiver sight for this gun. Out of production maybe

Also, I read on another forum that some guys fire the 20 ga barrel without having the scope mounts slip, if you use good mounts...not sure which mounts they use. Anybody have this experience .?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would just scope it. I have a 24 in .22 mag over a 20 ga. I did some trigger work but I am not sure it is worth the trouble. It breaks a lot cleaner but you can't do anything for the heavy pull. Use slave pins when putting it back together or you will drive yourself crazy. I used some finishing nails ground to size. The link below will bring you to a Savage 24 forum. Click on the links button to see the trigger work. That is the method I followed.

http://www.savage24.com/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used and do use ringmounts clamped to a dovetail on guns which recoil as much as or more than 20 ga Savage 24. Holding a scope would also subject them to a lot more force than that involved with securing a peep, due to the much greater inertia of the scope. If you want a peep I'd say get one which clamps to the dovetail and don't worry about it moving.

For my own purposes though, I prefer a scope for combination guns and drillings. A variable which goes down to 1 or 1.5x works fine for shotgun use, and I've even shot trap with one. Something like a 1.5-6 also has the ability to wind up the magnification for a longer shot with the rifle.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I would just scope it. I have a 24 in .22 mag over a 20 ga. I did some trigger work but I am not sure it is worth the trouble. It breaks a lot cleaner but you can't do anything for the heavy pull. Use slave pins when putting it back together or you will drive yourself crazy. I used some finishing nails ground to size. The link below will bring you to a Savage 24 forum. Click on the links button to see the trigger work. That is the method I followed.

Thanks guys,

Sakoluvr - so I assume you fire the 20 ga barrel without the scope mounts slipping, etc? What kind of mounts do you have?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No scope on my 24 C ....have a Burris Fast-Fire used a Weaver base that clamps to dove-tail....it rides in my truck, ATV and snowmobile year round never lost zero....has supplied 100's of meals of grouse, hares, squirrels....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Thanks guys,

Sakoluvr - so I assume you fire the 20 ga barrel without the scope mounts slipping, etc? What kind of mounts do you have?

No slipping at all. I will have to do a little digging to see what I bought. Here is my rig when I first put it together. It has a little more wear and tear now since it's my designated 4-wheeler gun when I am at the farm.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I used this 3/8" dovetail to weaver base adapter. No problems so far. Scope is an old B&L / Bushnell that is awesome for what I use it for. BTW, the .22 magnum barrel shoots well and I have the scope zeroed for 100 yards. The 20 ga just hits where I aim at reasonable shotgun range.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...122000011-18690-42841.aspx?sku=122000011

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the most popular/common peep sight for the rimfire Savage 24s is the long discontinued Redfield RE-24. If you decide to buy an RE-24, make sure that you get the front sight riser with it, otherwise you might not have enough elevation adjustment range to get to zero.

If you're going to put a scope on your 24C, I highly recommend that you consider the B-Square 3/8" groove to Weaver adapters. They work great and are lower than the comparable grooved receiver to Weaver adapters that I have seen.

If you haven't read it, Marshall Stanton wrote the best article that I've read about the Savage 24 in the tech notes section on www.beartoothbullets.com. His article was written back in 2000 from a practical, actual user's, perspective.

EDIT; The set up that Sakoluvr wrote about and posted pictures of looks like mine, except I used Warne QR rings and Leupold VX-I 2-7x33s on my 20 gauge guns and an old Bushnell Banner 4x20 on my 22M/410.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 06/23/17. Reason: Extended the conversation
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Just got a used one in 22lr/20 ga.

Anyone recommend a peep sight? I think there are aperture sights that fit the grooves for .22 rimfires, but am wondering if they stay put when the 20 ga barrel is fired? Any experience with this?

Haven't had a chance to take the gun apart, but wondering if the trigger is able to be stoned or a spring changed to reduce the pull?

Any experienced input would be helpful. Thanks

I had this put on my Savage 24 .22 WMR 20 gauge. I went to a ramp Firesight for the front. Brownell's has them.

WILLIAMS GUN SIGHT - WINCHESTER 94 5D-94SE ECONOMY RECEIVER REAR SIGHT

Gary

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/24/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.