Print Thread
Hop To
#12109115 06/24/17
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Took that Kelly ax I cleaned up from a rusted and pitted up mess the other week, and dropped it off at a local Amish to have a sheath made for it. Didn't really give him any instructions just told him I wanted a leather sheath. I wanted to protect it and also to keep any nieces and nephews or anybody else that doesn't realize how sharp it is now, from getting accidentally hurt if they'd be messing with it without my knowledge. I was tickled with the results. Heavy well made sheath that goes on and off easily.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cool. I should see if any of the Amish around here make them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice job.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent work.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do a bit of leather work for my knives, axe sheaths, archery arm guards, etc. and that looks like some beautiful handiwork!!!

Did the maker put a welt between the layers? I do for any sheath going over an edged tool - otherwise, the stitching and/or leather gets sliced out very quickly.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I guess you are pleased, great work!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I don't know that these guys particularly make them.......far as I know it was their first one. But if you have Amish around, then somewhere in their community is likely a leather and harness shop. This place does harness work and also fixes shoes and boots. Cost me a little over $20. I considered trying to make one myself but I'd of went through that much in leather trying to get it right and learning from my rookie mistakes, not to mention my time. Lol.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 325Abn
I do a bit of leather work for my knives, axe sheaths, archery arm guards, etc. and that looks like some beautiful handiwork!!!

Did the maker put a welt between the layers? I do for any sheath going over an edged tool - otherwise, the stitching and/or leather gets sliced out very quickly.

I see what you are saying, but no. In this case it would be hard for that to happen. There is a good inch of gap past the end of the edge on both sides and the sheath is contoured with the shape of the edge so that gap maintains the length of the edge......the leather is fashioned around the handle in such a way that as soon as the edge starts down in the sheath the sheath is already up to the thick part of the handle keeping it straight and true. You would really have to physically put pressure in a pushing fashion on either the end of the sheath or the handle to get it tilted enough where the leading top edge might be able to reach the edge of the leather and stitching. It cannot twist left or right because the handle is flat and wide at that point and the leather fits snuggly against the flat part.

Here's a view of the sheath around the handle. It's a tight fit that runs it straight on and off, yet goes on and off very easily. The more I look at it the more I realize all the figuring I would've had to do to get it even close to this. They done a good job.

[Linked Image]

Might be hard to see but here is a view with it open and the inch or so gap on each side of the edge.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah,i see what you mean. This piece is very nicely crafted (the snap locations are perfect - this was not their first rodeo!!!).

In general most leather work is really not quite as hard as folks may think. However, the difference from really nice to expertly fashioned takes many years of experience (i'm far from there!).

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

I don't know that these guys particularly make them.......far as I know it was their first one. But if you have Amish around, then somewhere in their community is likely a leather and harness shop. This place does harness work and also fixes shoes and boots. Cost me a little over $20. I considered trying to make one myself but I'd of went through that much in leather trying to get it right and learning from my rookie mistakes, not to mention my time. Lol.

That's exactly what I was thinking, there is an Amish guy that does harness/saddle etc work.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The maker did a great job.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Hey that will work. And cheap enough also. Looks to me of good enough quality with the stitching and snaps as long as they fit decent.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are solid, I have about 1/2 dozen of them.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 325Abn
Yeah,i see what you mean. This piece is very nicely crafted (the snap locations are perfect - this was not their first rodeo!!!).

In general most leather work is really not quite as hard as folks may think. However, the difference from really nice to expertly fashioned takes many years of experience (i'm far from there!).

This place has been in business for years and probably does as much business with the "English" as they do the Amish. They sell shoes and boots, belts, hats, spotting scopes, regular scopes, binoculars, including Swarovski etc, and do leather work.

They have one guy that ran all the leather work for yrs......when I took this up and asked for him I was informed he turned it over to his son. This guy is young, I'd guess between 18-22. I'd venture to say he's better than his Dad. He must of been taught well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats a good looking sheath.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Who ever made the sheath does nice work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,238
Posts18,466,745
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.