Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Exactly.......it's very liberal of you to ask .gov to protect you from all those scary issues.

Yet that same gooberment in much of the USA, won't let a person carry a weapon to protect themselves from just such an attack.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still reeling over learning that a 9 year old is capable of interstate driving. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A friend of mine had his hand chomped while trying to save his Jack Russell from a pit bull. The pet died anyway and Tom spent a week in hospital, no hope of getting full use of his hand back. A month later he now carries a pistol whenever he is working outside. The pit bull (next door) wasn't even put down, and the owner has yet to even apologize. Pretty sad if you ask me. Am I prejudiced against those dogs? You damn betcha.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly.......it's very liberal of you to ask .gov to protect you from all those scary issues.

If we could legally walk down the street and eliminate every pit bull that looked at us funny or charged a fence, to save any future kids, then there would be no need for any farther action. Until then they need to either pass a law making them illegal for most people to own, or else hold the owners directly responsible for any maiming's or killings, same as if they had done the dastardly deed themselves. Do that and nobody would want to own them, and the few that did would make sure they were kept under lock and key with no ability to ever harm anyone but the caretakers themselves. If that was my 2 kids that had gotten their faces chewed off while strapped in their car seats, there wouldn't be a law on the books, or the punishment for breaking any of those laws, strong enough to protect any I'd run across.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
So.......if it saves just one child! Got it.

Around 'here', if a dog poses an imminent threat and you deal with THAT dog
..... good-to-go. Not sure I'm okay with breaking out a blaster every time a dog "looks at you funny".

Of course I don't really fret dogs much. Respect, yes..... worry, no.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A friend of mine had his hand chomped while trying to save his Jack Russell from a pit bull. The pet died anyway and Tom spent a week in hospital, no hope of getting full use of his hand back. A month later he now carries a pistol whenever he is working outside. The pit bull (next door) wasn't even put down, and the owner has yet to even apologize. Pretty sad if you ask me. Am I prejudiced against those dogs? You damn betcha.

If I were him, I'd give Alan Dershowitz a call.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So.......if it saves just one child! Got it.

Around 'here', if a dog poses an imminent threat and you deal with THAT dog
..... good-to-go. Not sure I'm okay with breaking out a blaster every time a dog "looks at you funny".

Of course I don't really fret dogs much. Respect, yes..... worry, no.

When 1 "breed" of dog is known to be routinely responsible for horrible attacks and deaths involving children, YES. I'd shoot every one of them twice if I knew it would save just one child, and be glad I done the world a favor.

Nice to know you don't "fret" about it. Of course all children come armed ready and able to fully defend themselves. That's very brave of you.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
So, after you exterminate pits, is my beloved GSD breed next on the hot list or will you go after Mals first?

Schutheads who want [bleep] dogs will have them regardless of breed..........and I have no [bleep] use for pits, personally. You can get emotional, but it's pointless.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So, after you exterminate pits, is my beloved GSD breed next on the hot list or will you go after Mals first?

Schutheads who want [bleep] dogs will have them regardless of breed..........and I have no [bleep] use for pits, personally. You can get emotional, but it's pointless.

It's not about emotion. It's about statistics and facts. Those statistics and facts prove out that by far, among dangerous dogs, pit bulls are prone to unprovoked attack children. There's been documentaries produced about this 20 yrs ago already. Call it raw prey drive that young high voiced children excite in that breed of dog, or whatever, I'm not sure we fully know why. It's also without question that an attack by a pit bull is far more likely to result in horrific maiming or death than the fairly common amount of dog bites that happen with a whole host of other breeds every yr.

They are a different animal. Not in any way, shape or form, a normal dog. I would think you of all people would be able to recognize that given your screen name.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
............and, thus, statistically once you (theoretically) eliminate pits the "sub-caste" that in the present time emulates them will move on to another "dangerous breed". Right now, Mals are "en Vogue", so let's go that route. Soon, the Mal will be bred and 'trained' (lack thereof) and statistics will show them to be child-sitting. I certainly wouldn't classify a Mal as "normal" on their best day, so there's that as well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Bullcrap. There are enough statistics to back up eradicating certain large dogs and sending their owners to the electric chair.

A man should get the death penalty for:

Driving under the influence
Texting whilst driving
Owning a dangerous animal breed that attacks a person
A gun mishap in the hands of a child

Sounds like you chose the right screen name for yourself.

my first thought

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my experience about 80% of the people that own any type of dog should not even own a dog.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
............and, thus, statistically once you (theoretically) eliminate pits the "sub-caste" that in the present time emulates them will move on to another "dangerous breed". Right now, Mals are "en Vogue", so let's go that route. Soon, the Mal will be bred and 'trained' (lack thereof) and statistics will show them to be child-sitting. I certainly wouldn't classify a Mal as "normal" on their best day, so there's that as well.

Maybe, maybe not. I couldn't predict that. We would have to wait and see if another breed of dog had a 30 yr documented reputation for being in the news on a regular basis maiming and killing children, as well as adults. Like you said in an earlier post, you deal with the imminent threat once you run across it. Dangerous dogs dictate that there is an inherent danger that comes with them. That is mostly due to their bite strength, size, and what they're bred for. But that just means the possibility exists and people need to be aware of that, it doesn't mean as a breed they are prone to do so. With pit bulls we've moved past the mere "possibility" of that danger decades ago, they've proven to have something in their DNA that promotes often unexplained attacks, again and again in the news. Even when it is explained, the inability to get those dogs out of their locked down "kill" mentality by their owners or anybody else once an attack occurs, is also well known and documented.

G
G
My Chiweenie was recently attacked and badly injured by a pit bull while I was walking her down the sidewalk on my street. Mine was on a leash, the pit didn't even have a collar on. The owner claims the collar broke when his dog lunged against the chain it was on. I'm currently out about $3000.00 and looking at $4500 to $6000 more to fix her leg. The owner rents and has no renters insurance. Our county requires $100,000. Liability insurance to own a pit. Animal control took 2 weeks just to show up, and has done nothing. Not even a fine. Ask me how I feel about pitbulls. Please.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Schit dog.........schittier owner!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most guys I know carry a handgun in case they meet a criminal.
I carry a handgun in case I meet a pit bull again.
I was ripped up by a pit bull 52 years ago, and I am ready for a rematch.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
G
I've never had or really wanted a concealed carry permit. Florida does not allow open carry unless you're fishing, hunting or possibly hiking in the woods.i now carry a sheet metal hammer when taking her out. As far as I know, open carry of hammers is legal

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gophertoise
I've never had or really wanted a concealed carry permit. Florida does not allow open carry unless you're fishing, hunting or possibly hiking in the woods.i now carry a sheet metal hammer when taking her out. As far as I know, open carry of hammers is legal

You better swing hard between the eyes and mean to bash the skull and kill on the first swing. When dealing with a pit your very life could depend on it. Most dogs are all bluff and will never cross the line of a full out attack. Those that do 98% of them if you can stay on your feet, then get a couple of good hoofs to the chest or guts while screaming at them it will quickly make them re-think their strategy, I don't care how big they are, when push comes to shove they lack the grit to stay with it. Pitt's seem to lack an on/off switch once making a decision to attack. Once in attack mode those kicks would mean no more to them than the latest gnat they bit off their leg. They will ignore pain and the inherent self preservation gene that is in just about any dog, seems to be completely lacking with them when they jump on someone. It's what makes them so dangerous in my view....not only can't you trust them, and they have enough bite force to do serious damage, but you cannot get the demon possessed spawns of Satan to stop. Again, darn near 30 yrs of documented cases now in the U.S. alone, verify that. They are NOT a normal dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
knife is probably a much better option.

A woman who stabbed and killed two pit bulls after they allegedly attacked her and her dogs on an Apple Valley street is under fire from the dead dogs' owner, who says her dogs didn't deserve to die. Tony Shin reports for the NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on Friday, May 23, 2014. (Published Friday, May 23, 2014)

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Woman-Uses-Filet-Knife-Fatally-Stab-Pit-Bulls-260490201.html

Last edited by 700LH; 06/24/17.
G
G
I know that I couldn't hurt it much by kicking. I landed 3 good kicks, and 1 not so good one. Hardly phased it. And I'm 6'4" and about 210 lbs. If I see it off leash and all alone, I have a .22 hornet propped up by the front door.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.