Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
s s

Well... with no one to give or inherit, I 'think' I'd probably sell it and do something else 'in it's place'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an old friend and former hunting partner of 35-40+ years who has told me of his Stage 4 Prostate Cancer couple months ago. He hasn't hunted in years and his 2 sons are not, or ever were much interested. He has a church buddy who occasionally borrows one of his 2 R77's that will get one of them I'm sure ....but I'm at a quandry on how to tell him who to trust of the LGS'sI use on selling his remaining guns guns on consignment, and WILL NOT get involved in selling them for him unless his wife asks after he pass'es. Most if not all of his guns came from me originally when I was working in the Industry, at my cost.

It's not an immediate problem with my friend, but has been grinding on me on how to approach him soon without sounding like a greedy dog.

I've been selling/trading downsizing all my own stuff already, and my own sons are also not involved, but my BH knows of and has been in the LGS shops I use and how the consignment drill works. I just hope she keeps the late '70s highly tuned S&W M60 pin barrel for her house gun, that is always with me on the nite stand on my side of the bed wherever I sleep...it's got lots of miles of business travelling for 35+ years under my pillow, and I'm as familiar with it's custom grips that were fitted to my hand from a clay mold, as I am with the 50 years of sound, smell & feel of her sleeping that we've been together.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 06/25/17.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My time has come and I am reluctant to admit it. Lord willing, I will be eighty in a few weeks. Health is so so, meaning I can live several more years, but with diminished physical capacity. I have way too many guns, especially rifles. I have three daughters, two SILs, and three granddaughters, one grandson, and two great grandchildren. Daughters all have handgun and shotgun. Rifles are next. I have .22 rifles for all. Granddaughters all need a twenty gauge. I may have excess rifles to trade for those. Sell a few high dollar rifles, but in my past experience, that can take a while to find a well funded buyer who wants your stuff.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JT

Congrats on having a long life & still hunting & shooting. Many, many guys don't get to participate this long. Here's hoping you're
able to continue a while longer.

One of my long time friends/gun nuts/hunting pards IS having health issues now at 68. IF he lives many more yrs. he won't be able to
hunt much more. It hurts me to see him deteriorating.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I had another test of my good sense/middle age dilemma. I got sent to Mansfield, OH last week for Special High-Intensity Training at my new employer. As soon as I could get away, I made it up the road to Fin Feather Fur Outfitters in Ashland. It was my first pilgrimage to this place in 4 years. Sadly, I have to admit no major acquisitions.

The reloading section in the basement held the most of my attentions. It is one of the few places left I know that has it all. I could have easily spent $1000 on bits and pieces. However, good sense prevailed and I left with less than $90 in merchandise.

One thing I did grab was a pound of Blue Dot pursuant to working up some ersatz 22 Hornet loads.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Huntz
I am 73.So many guns,so little time.The fun part for me is load development.When I get a rifle shooting good,I move on to the next quest.Selling and trading is all part of the fun.I still hunt Michigan,Wisconsin and Montana.I would rather eat venison than just about any other type of meat and shoot all I am allowed.I found "Time" is much easier on you if you have a daily regimen of walking and exercise.I also weight lift every third day.My days are pretty busy and I have a hard time cramming in everything I want to do.

My type of man... except for eating all that venison!

At closing in on 82, I've already "pared" down to two big game rifles, a couple 22RFs and a 12ga. And, oh yeah, I just shot a bunny in the head this a.m. with my "target" .17 cal. pellet pistol - at about 7 yards... he'd been eating my wife's flowers and veggies as they appear above ground! A one-shot kill!

But really, "two big game rifles" can be made into target, varmint and deer rifles, and they have been, even though they were mostly chosen for black bear. Both are "oldies" in design, but very modern in construction, and I have "mild" downloads for each (as well as Max loads for each). One or both will see action come September, God willing. The latest has now been with me for six years, and has taken three bears. It's a Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. It has replaced all magnums and mediums, including .375 H&H, .340 Wby, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelan and .300 Win Mag. It can do anything they could do... if needed or wanted. Plus, with downloads, it makes an ideal rifle for big whitetails in woods hunting. My other BG rifle has been with me for quite a long time: a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 with an improved throat (lengthened) for the long monos. I can shoot cast bullets at 1200 or the 500 Hornady at 2200. And all else can fit somewhere between those extremes.

I enjoy experimenting with loads, and have a few hundred .458" bullets lying around of various shapes, weights and construction. Really, I could get by with the Ruger No.1 as my only hunting/target shooting/practising rifle for all the days remaining that God has ordained for me. Same could be said for the 9.3 x 62.

Don't cry over ageing! As Huntz said, and I agree, ".... I have a hard time cramming in everything I want to do."

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 06/27/17.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lately I've been thinking of a 6.5X55 should fit nicely in the line up and a Ruger #1 pops up in 6.5 Creedmoor. I still think I need the Swede...don't you?

Last edited by GSPfan; 06/28/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO picking up a Swede is never a bad idea at any age...but lots more bettah for someone old enough to appreciate the calibers history and functionality and able put it to good use...Thank You Darrik for the T3 Superlite Swede on that last closeout...it fits me like a pair of many years old bluejeans...
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am 67 and have been f-ing around with rifles since 13. I still think of myself as a GUN-NUT and prefer that moniker to rifle looney.

I have owned more really fine rifles than necessary. Most were commercial pre-war Mausers worked on by Thos Burgess and stocked in fine European walnut by Fisher, Kennedy, Milliron, Biesen etc.

Today I am much more interested in going and doing rather than owning. I have slots for 4 CF rifles. When one comes in then one goes out. I have been very fortunate to hunt a lot and have taken a lot of BG. I could have done all of it, except the dangerous African animals, with a 270 Win. I have not observed any consistent difference on game with most of the stuff guys talks about. From the 6.5x55 to the big 30's and 33's there isn't much difference except in rifle weight and recoil. If you need something bigger then get a 416 or a 458 Win. There is some appeal with the 375's and the 9.3-62 but I am a timid soul when I see something big and dangerous up close.

Besides my 4 CF's I have a Glock 19, an 870 20ga, and two 22lrs.

I am still building the ultimate 270 Win and have decided the best bet is a Rem 700 action worked over properly with a well installed good barrel, a great trigger, and a synthetic stock. Have owned pretty much every custom action and none were better for a hunting rifle than a Rem 700 that has been given some love. If I had learned this long ago I would have saved myself the money equivalent of two grand slams plus a full bag 21 day African trip.

Am about to start on a 458 Win and will likely use a 700 for that too. No worry.

Last edited by RinB; 06/29/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RinB
I am 67 and have been f-ing around with rifles since 13. I still think of myself as a GUN-NUT and prefer that moniker to rifle looney.

I have owned more really fine rifles than necessary. Most were commercial pre-war Mausers worked on by Thos Burgess and stocked in fine European walnut by Fisher, Kennedy, Milliron, Biesen etc.

I could have done all of it, except the dangerous African animals, with a 270 Win.

*** I am still building the ultimate 270 Win and have decided the best bet is a Rem 700 action worked over properly with a well installed good barrel, a great trigger, and a synthetic stock. ***

Have owned pretty much every custom action and

***none were better for a hunting rifle than a Rem 700 that has been given some love.***

If I had learned this long ago I would have saved myself the money...

First I wished I'd had Milliron and OR Biesen do a couple stocks for me.

I made the statement recently that I could have killed all the WT I have with the FIRST 700, 270 W !!

Also if it were possible I could get 6-8 guys I've hunted & shot with and THEY would tell everybody that WE ALL
had tremendous service from Rem 700s ----- and NO failures at all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have thought many times of selling off some stuff. I really don't need most of what I have as my hunting is mostly confined to deer hunting here in Michigan and a trip to Wyoming every other year. I have a surplus of Pre64 M70's and Parker shotguns that haven't seen the light of day in many years. I'm not sure this is the time to try to sell a rifle as I put a nice Ruger #1 International on GI and hadn't even had a response! I have no family that would be interested in anything other than how much can I get for it and no knowledge of how much there worth. So I sometimes think sell them take the cash and go to Alaska or Africa and sometimes I think the hell with it I like em I'll keep them and when I'm gone I won't care.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 19 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.