Print Thread
Hop To
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I watched this video and how do you know when to stop cutting?

https://youtu.be/WtIBv6VIQGE

Last edited by ronc; 06/25/17.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

The instructions on mine say to stop when you cut 1/8"-1/4" or so into the rifling.

Cut slow and check often and you'll see the rifling starting to get shiny. I've cut several 357's, 44's and 45LC's and I've always stopped 1/8" or so after the lands are shiny

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is there anything cheaper besides the kit Brownells sells? Only need it for 45 Rugers...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Not that I found. I got the Brownells basic kit that covered 38's - 45's. It was around $80

R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Oh, ok, the kit i saw was $265 but covered several different calibers.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw that one too, it has all the bells and whistles.

The one I got: Basic Kit

R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks man i appreciate it. Have you ever opened cylinder throats on a Ruger 45? Got a Blackhawk 45 colt on the way and i'm positive the throats will need some attention. I know several professionals who provide this service but would like to try it myself. What you think?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Well, I did the throats on a 44 I had because they were .427". It probably seems crazy but I followed this article: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59

I used a drill, a dowel and some emery cloth. Again, going slow, and it turned out perfect. My accuracy went up and leading went completely away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Well, I did the throats on a 44 I had because they were .427". It probably seems crazy but I followed this article: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59

I used a drill, a dowel and some emery cloth. Again, going slow, and it turned out perfect. My accuracy went up and leading went completely away.
Veral Smith recommended this method and I used it successfully to open throats on several Ruger SA's, mostly .45's but at least one .357 and one of their newly introduced .44 Specials as well. Always figured it would make a gunsmith cringe but if you go slowly and carefully as noted in the article it works just fine. When the guy at cylindersmith.com offered his services I figured for $45 and quick turnaround it was worth having the throats opened in a more conventional manner but I never ruined any of the ones I did and accuracy always improved.

The other technique in conjunction with opening throats is firelapping the frame constriction out of Ruger SA barrels but that's another story.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I believe 2 Dogs over on Lee Martin's forum is doing throat work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ronc
Thanks man i appreciate it. Have you ever opened cylinder throats on a Ruger 45? Got a Blackhawk 45 colt on the way and i'm positive the throats will need some attention. I know several professionals who provide this service but would like to try it myself. What you think?

A friend and I did the throats on our .45 Colt Redhawks. It's a pretty straight-forward process. We removed the cylinders, placed them in a padded vise, and turned the cutter smoothly with liberal amounts of cutting oil to lube the metal and flush the chips. Don't force the cutter, let it do the work and it'll come out smoother. One of the things we did do was cut off a piece of .45-70 brass and used it as a chamber sleeve to keep the cutter square.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would be more concerned about throats before worrying about the forcing cone. Do the throats first and then shoot the gun before worrying about the cone. Buy pin gauges (you can buy just the range that you need) and measure the throats before you purchase anything else. Having all the throats even is as important as having them sized "correctly". Cast bullets can be purchased in a variety sizes and moderate hardness if you don't cast your own.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.