Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm interested in hunting Huns in Montana. I've been doing done research and have been told that North Eastern Montana is in severe drought. Anyone here from the are that can give acurate report on weather in that area and likely impact on Hun populations? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's still early in the season and good info isn't available. Also, bird numbers vary from area to area. I'd start calling MT FWP in July and see if they can hook you up with a biologist. Some guys on this site who live in NE hopefully will chime in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pharmvet
I'm interested in hunting Huns in Montana. I've been doing done research and have been told that North Eastern Montana is in severe drought. Anyone here from the are that can give acurate report on weather in that area and likely impact on Hun populations? Thanks!

The situation looks to be real bad. MT's governor has declared a drought emergency and the USDA has authorized emergency haying on CRP lands which could really hurt brood production.
http://helenair.com/northeast-montana-drought/pdf_784bd587-6a5f-58cb-beed-dc4a6ce4170b.html

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-...f5d010a-30ea-5a26-87e5-630b52e7a1d4.html

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-...2021be9-105d-53f3-8211-e0038a2b78e5.html

The drought is also hitting ND and SD real bad, too. Friends in both states tell me crops are failing and ranchers are selling off cattle.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

I would be real worried about the UGB hunting in all 3 states, and not just due to depressed bird populations. If it stays this dry, private landowners will shut down access due to fire danger.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Any other good options?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure if you're restricting yourself to Montana, but we have some out here in SE WA, If you're just vacationing and not limited as to where you can go. They're mostly on private lands up the hill from me so I haven't personally hunted them.

Maybe check here for info?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/

Might be some Hun info here, there are pretty good "where to hunt" maps showing some of the private land that is "feel free to hunt" or "hunting with permission only" including contact info if I recall.

The quail and pheasant hunting can be pretty good around here, chuckar too on the Snake River Breaks.

Good luck,

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 06/25/17.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not sure if you're restricting yourself to Montana, but we have some out here in SE WA, If you're just vacationing and not limited as to where you can go. They're mostly on private lands up the hill from me so I haven't personally hunted them.

Maybe check here for info?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/

Might be some Hun info here, there are pretty good "where to hunt" maps showing some of the private land that is "feel free to hunt" or "hunting with permission only" including contact info if I recall.

The quail and pheasant hunting can be pretty good around here, chuckar too on the Snake River Breaks.

Good luck,

Geno

Plenty of Huns on the other side of the river too Geno. wink

There's better eating birds but there's no better bird to train young dogs on than wild Huns.
Especially in the early season when they hold the best.

OP.......SamOlson lives in NE MT. Send him a pm.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/26/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lived in Steptoe, WA for a few years (Whitman county), I loved the bird hunting there. I think Huns were my favorite bird as far as eating.
CHukar were pretty sporty, and pheasants would out smart me a lot of the time. also good dove and waterfowl hunting. I didn't bother with the little quail but they were also around in numbers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pharmvet and Charlie, it is beyond dry up here on the hi-line. Total wreck as far as grass and crops go so I am not sure how the hatch will turn out.

There might actually be an abundance of food later this summer and fall with unharvested fields but until then???

Actually curious myself as to how the birds will respond to these conditions.

As for finding and hunting huns I would simply walk section lines(fence lines) next to stubble fields. Huns love to work the edges and run under fences.

Any info on how upland birds in general handle drought conditions would be appreciated. Maybe I should start another thread on this subject.

Should add that I have yet to see a pheasant chick on the riverbottom and that is highly unusual given that it is almost July. Obviously not a good sign especially considering we have a great population of adult birds.

Last edited by SamOlson; 06/27/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam- I can't imagine the drought is doing the birds any favors. Seems like the less new growth would impact not only their food, but nesting success as there's not as much to hide a nest in. A quick search pulled up a bunch of reports from different states wildlife biologist about drought impacting nesting success and mortality on young birds. However, not too many spelled out the explicit causes except for nesting cover. I was hoping to do a bird trip to your part of the the state this year, but drew a bull elk permit for the north side of the lake. So, if it doesn't all burn up this summer, I plan on chasing elk and deer there instead of birds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Pharmvet and Charlie, it is beyond dry up here on the hi-line. Total wreck as far as grass and crops go so I am not sure how the hatch will turn out.

There might actually be an abundance of food later this summer and fall with unharvested fields but until then???

Actually curious myself as to how the birds will respond to these conditions.

As for finding and hunting huns I would simply walk section lines(fence lines) next to stubble fields. Huns love to work the edges and run under fences.

Any info on how upland birds in general handle drought conditions would be appreciated. Maybe I should start another thread on this subject.

Should add that I have yet to see a pheasant chick on the riverbottom and that is highly unusual given that it is almost July. Obviously not a good sign especially considering we have a great population of adult birds.

Sorry for your troubles Sam. We had a hard winter with plenty of snow and endless rain this spring.
I'm sure we have a good bird crop but I haven't seen any due to the 6' high wild Rye grass.
Things are drying out now though. Well go from being a jungle to a tinder box come August.
Hope you get some rain in the very near future.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
SE Idaho has more damn water EVERYWHERE than I've ever seen.Thinking the upland birds may be pretty good again like last season. Feel for the guys further north.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Of all the birds I have been seeing, huns are the most prolific. Sharpies and pheasants seem to struggle more in the drought.

CRP haying won't start till the 15th of July or later for some areas. Old stands of CRP aren't that appealing to huns anyway.

I still maintain that cold and wet is harder on birds than dry.

It really is not looking too bad for birds right now. Maybe not record highs but certainly not record lows.......yet! Pretty early to count your chicks.

Better do some checking before coming out though.

My place is not posted......but if I catch you in the haylot or my shelterbelt killing huns you are sunk!

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a covey of huns on my property in central WA. I'll drive a thousand miles to chase huns, sharpies but will not shoot them on my property. Have noticed that quail and chukar pops seem way down this year.

Called a rancher friend up by Chester MT where I hun hunt and advised a dry year. I know ND got hit really hard this winter and now is in a drought. Looks like have to cancel my annual bird hunt out there this year.

Last edited by ribka; 07/01/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pharmvet

Pharmvet,

I'm not a biologist but it's so dry here that one strong fart could set the whole area ablaze.

Having traveled for birds in the past, I'd probably sit this year out.

That being said I do keep seeing sharps and Huns. But no COCK.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Not sure if Photobucket will still work, but here is a graph of the Kansas spring crowing counts. In the last ten years guess what years were during/immediately following mega droughts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cheesy,

He's asking about Hungarian partridge, not pheasants. They have very different nesting and habitat requirements.

I've seen this locally for many years. Last year was the best pheasant hatch ever in this particular valley in southwestern Montana--and one of the worst for Huns. The best Hun year I've ever seen sucked for pheasants.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Cheesy,

He's asking about Hungarian partridge, not pheasants. They have very different nesting and habitat requirements.

I've seen this locally for many years. Last year was the best pheasant hatch ever in this particular valley in southwestern Montana--and one of the worst for Huns. The best Hun year I've ever seen sucked for pheasants.

You're right, but in spirit of the campfire nothing like a proper thread hi-jack. smile

There was some other discussion about pheasant/other upland birds with respect to drought that prompted me putting that graph up for my target bird. The years we had major drought that hit Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas made for high beef prices because everybody sold their herds off due to no hay, but we had no pheasants at all to shoot at. This year is shaping up to be a great year, assuming we get out of the nesting season in good shape.

One of these days I'll get north and west to hunt some of these other birds.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, nothing like "another direction" in a Campfire thread!

Upland season's going to be very interesting here in Montana, because both snow and rainfall varied so much throughout the state--and we have so many different birds and kinds of habitat. All but one of the 10 kinds of upland birds in the state lives within an hour's drive of my house, but their preferred habitat runs from open plains to high mountains to riverbottoms. It's often hard to tell exactly what really happened with the various hatches in local areas until hunting reports come in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My BIL and 3-4 of his buddies own two pheasant hunting ranches in South Dakota. Every spring they purchase 750-1000 chukars as hatch-lings. Raise them to mature birds. They use them for practice to stay on top of their game for hunting pheasants. When I go to visit them, it's always a fun time. They have a sweet little Benelli 28g that is a blast to shoot. And it makes hunting that Huns a real challenge.

As a side benefit to the area they live, because there are birds that they have missed, the chukar population has increased significantly. All of their neighbors appreciate having more plentiful birds in their little corner of northern Utah.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, nothing like "another direction" in a Campfire thread!

Upland season's going to be very interesting here in Montana, because both snow and rainfall varied so much throughout the state--and we have so many different birds and kinds of habitat. All but one of the 10 kinds of upland birds in the state lives within an hour's drive of my house, but their preferred habitat runs from open plains to high mountains to riverbottoms. It's often hard to tell exactly what really happened with the various hatches in local areas until hunting reports come in.

AKA, "spotty." smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.