Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Originally Posted by FallGuy
I have the Lowa Tibet GTXs in size 14 and love them. Excellent support and comfort, and I especially like the lacing system. Mine seem true to size with plenty of room in the toe box.

I've been thinking about them. I got a pair of Lowa Caminos in 14 this spring and have been really liking them. I did some steep uphill hiking with a 40lb pack yesterday...then came back down the same slope, and the 14's gave me room to not bump toes, even down hill with extra weight. So I've been thinking about the Tibets. No insulation kinda bugs me.....these will get used here in Pennsylvania for stand sitting as well as in the west for elk.....hmmm...

Joel, they have a 600g option for the Granite now (I think it's a pretty new option), so they have 200g or 600g options, and Kenetrek has uninsulated and 400g options.

I use Lowa Tibet Pros size 14 and highly recommend them for hiking with heavy loads (on my second pair). For my feet they are about perfect although any stiff soled boots are a little noisy and overkill for most hunting. For stand hunting whitetail in New England, I use Arctic Shield boot blankets and just slide them on when needed. This way when walking your feet don't sweat as much and you can instantly add a lot of insulation. 600 or 1000 grams isn't enough to keep your feet warm when sitting on a stand anyway so don't stress over getting a boot with insulation. I've tried several Kenetrek's and they never seem to keep my heal in place.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've been eyeing the Lowa Hunter (lightly insulated), but there's also the Tibet GTX Hi, which also is appealing, and can be had at attractive pricing.

Been thinking about them a lot, actually. Over $150 lower in cost than Schnee's and Kenetrek, and if they're anything like my Camino hikers, they'll be pretty solid boots.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lowa's are great boots. I had a heavy hiking pair that lasted through 3 re-solings. I tried to add up how many miles I put on them and not sure but over a thousand and possibly two or 3.

Agree about the insulation and boot blankets as EJO posted. 200 grams is just enough for rock protection and more can make your feet colder from sweating.

I have also been happy with Alico's from Sierra trading post nice old school alpine boots. Not sure if they have your size but worth a look.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would go with a Custom Russell, that you can use for some different terrains and seasons. They are $$$, but cheaper in the long run. I've had mine for over 15 years and have replaced the soles once. Best footwear I've ever owned.

Link http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots/

Last edited by Swede65; 07/03/17.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just ordered a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi's in 14. July 10 we'll see how they feel....

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Just ordered a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi's in 14. July 10 we'll see how they feel....

Cancel your order.

What I'm about to say will make the high-end hunting boot manufacturers absolutely despise me.

Go get you a good pair of after snow-ski boots. ($25-50) That's right, after snow-ski boots.

I've been using them in the mountains chasing elk for over ten years. I don't even remember where I got them.

Wear two pair of wool socks and a bootie over them with Thinsulate. If need be, throw one of those chemical hand warmers in the boot. I never do, but my pardners do sometimes in their $150 knee high snake proof boots they hunt in.

They are super comfortable and loose when sitting, so you have great circulation to keep your feet warm. They also have that half inch thick bootie. I've hunted in them in 8 degrees and was fine. They're made to keep your feet warm in snow. What more do you want or need?

Trust me. They're super quiet still hunting too. They're already water-proof.

What more do you need.

And again, they're cheap. You don't have to lay out several Benjamins.

Watch this. I carry Rockies for a back-up, and hunt in the $30 dollar boots.

2016 in HOT Colorado, I actually laced up the Rockies for the first time in over ten years. I didn't use the after snow-ski boots, because in 2016 you were "hiking" for elk, not hunting in that summer weather in winter.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try Meindl Men's boots . I believe they make a 14.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Cabela's like 5 miles away and I know they're Meindl's top out at 13. Don't know if direct from Meindl goes to 14 or not.

I just decided that since I love my Lowa Camino's, it just made sense to stick with Lowa.

Thanks, all!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Tibet's came today. Very impressed with them. Fit is good, they feel just as comfortable as my Camino's, but more "burly". Not heavy, though. From what I've read about the Tibet online, I expected them to feel heavier. I guess we'll see how they feel after a few miles of steep up-slope hiking.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good choice. If they fit your feet you are in good shape for many years to come.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Took them for their first hike yesterday. 7.5 miles of service roads/"barely there" two-track, 908' of gain. Not a ton of rocks.....some, enough to know the stiff soles are good and stiff!

Had a 50lb pack. Not huge weight, but some.

The boots flat are flat out awesome. The only "issue" was at about 6-7 miles, I started noticing a mild heel rub on steep uphills. Part of that is a new boot, and part is that I didn't cinch the laces as tight as I needed to. My hikers are Caminos, which are lower volume boots, so I can crank the laces too tight on those. I need to go a little more snug on the lacing on the Tibets than the Camino's. As it is, the "issue" was minor. No hotspots or blisters or anything, just noticed enough to know I need to tighten the lacing a tad.

Man are they comfortable. A pair of SuperFeet and they should be pretty well set....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 34 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.