Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11759922 01/22/17
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My lady friend and I are going there to visit her family,likely this fall. I was thinking of mixing some hunting into the trip.

Interested primarily in boar, but would entertain thoughts of deer, stag, etc.

Any experience or suggestions welcome.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been on neighboring Herzegovina 3 times, we hiked every day, never saw so much as a rabbit, did see a male pheasant once. During the war those poor people ate anything they could catch. Our tour guide said prior to then there were good numbers of wild pigs.

Sorry, not much help other than a bump. Make it a point to drink some Schlivovitz (Bohunk Chemotherapy).

I'd go back in a heartbeat, loved the people, the food and the countryside. Some of the most beautiful dark-haired long-legged women I'll ever lay eyes on.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 01/25/17.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Slivovitz will hurt you, if you're not careful.
Go carefully - and it WILL "sneak up on you" smile
I love the stuff (in very small doses)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Slivovitz will hurt you, if you're not careful.
Go carefully - and it WILL "sneak up on you" smile
I love the stuff (in very small doses)

Oh boy will it! The town we were in is kinda touristy, lots of vendors. Seems like they all make their own family recipe schlivo and wine. They'd hold up a bottle and ask "You try?"

Blitzed by mid-morning from all the sampling. Sure miss the place but my liver wouldn't handle living there.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes, they are warm and generous people. Each family wants one to try [i]their/i] slivovitz. Lots of dancing and singing can break out after a few shots; fun to be around.

My lady friend mentioned yesterday that she might know someone in one of the hunting clubs there. Will see what happens.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'd be all over a Roe hunt if possible.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
O
O
Some of the best roebucks in Europe are on the border to Hungary. Fantastic but costly stag hunting near the danube.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you.Yes, from what I've seen the stags look pricey.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Saw videos either here or more likely on Accurate Reloader of hunting Mouflon on the coastal cliffs. Looked interesting and feasible for a vacation/hunting trip. Some of the trophies were very good. Fees are based on horn size and were reasonable compared to other European countries.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I went in 1983 (Yugoslavia)... beautiful country, great people. I'd go back in a hart beat.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I first tried Slivovitz in Kasilof, Alaska back in 1984 from a (now departed) dear friend from that part of the world. If you read Bram Stoker's "Dracula" you'll find that Count Dracula's favorite drink (other than blood) was Slivovitz. I've never been to that part of the world but have always wanted to visit. I can confirm that Slivovitz will hurt you if you're not careful!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slivovitz is good stuff. Years ago, I used have a glass when sitting with my German landlord.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Some of the most beautiful dark-haired long-legged women I'll ever lay eyes on.

Yes..stunningly beautiful..especially Croatian women!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[Linked Image]

Hopefully, the image downloads properly from photobucket?

This is from the side of the road in Croatia near Krka National Park. In speaking with the locals, almost all the activity was at night and they hunt primarily with dogs and/or drives. We were in Croatia and Bosnia on the latest trip and twice now to Romania with Horia. Great countries with very nice people who are friendly and your dollar goes a long ways.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mu unit use to stay in Romania when rotating out of the desert. Every single time somebody got their ass kicked and robbed. One guy got his jaw broke, sucker punched. We won't go through there anymore. This was Bucharest. I'm betting the rural areas are better.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We have folks currently in Romania and we are 50-50 back in forth to the Middle East. Most of the time we have had incidents it's when the young'ns have too much to drink at get into a bad part of town. That said Bucharest would not be my first choice for sight seeing. One of the great things regarding Horia is he will pick you up at the airport and drive out into the hunting area. It is three hours away and very rural.

The Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania etc. have some great opportunities for hunting and fishing. Just my take, but the towns/cities that retained their original (pre-soviet) culture are real sleepers when it comes to tourism. There are some beautiful cities e.g. Budapest that in order to reach you have to drive through some ugly soviet era cement block housing structures, but it is worth the trip.

Most of the people we have met are hard working and trying to establish hunting and fishing operations to provide the same service you would receive in the U.S or Africa.

Depending on what you want out of a trip, the more established countries with hunting operations e.g. Germany have some very nice organized quarters, but I was amazed at both the quantity and quality of game in Romania. I am sure some of the other countries are similar.

If you're combining a vacation, don't forget areas like Lake Bled in Slovenia and Zadar, Split and Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm looking at a Hind hunt in Croatia this winter! Anyone with some good contacts would like to hear from you guys!

Semper Fi USMC/0331

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.