Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12107651 06/23/17
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Wondering what to do with this old Leupold M-7. Will Leupold rebuild it, or is it even worth it? Has dot reticle with super fine crosshair.Still clear, despite some scratched lenses.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Send it to leupold. What they will usually do is replace it with a current scope and at no charge. This is what they did when I sent them a 1960's era VX-2 2-7x they would give me a new one free but I opted to upgrade to a 2.5x8 and just paid the difference.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't know. I have sent two old Leupolds. One, an old 3X was replaced with a new 3X complete with Heavy Duplex and the nifty, finger tip adjustable dials found on the VX2's. But the even older 7.5X AO I sent them can't be modified and they offered no replacement. E

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks guys!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see folks sending in a lot of old scopes in hoping for a replacement. However at some point I think you have to look at the scope and ask yourself did I get my moneys worth and if you have gotten 40 + years of service maybe Leupold has done their part andit's time to just buy another scope. Whittakers has a sale on the vx-1 2-7 variable for $150 it's a much nicer scope than what you have. Maybe it's time.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by kenster99
Wondering what to do with this old Leupold M-7. Will Leupold rebuild it, or is it even worth it? Has dot reticle with super fine crosshair.Still clear, despite some scratched lenses.
[Linked Image]
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/kenster99

/DSCN2387_zpsjvizyfin.jpg[/IMG]

Just HOW OLD is that scope anyhow? I'm "older than dirt" and have had Leupold scopes on my rifles for all of my life. And I have never seen or even heard of a "Mountaneer" ???

Leupold has excellent C.S. IME but I would just donate that thing to a museum someplace.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Ok, to answer your question, I didnt know, so googled Leupold mountainer. Under the heading of "why variable scopes are better now than in Jack O"connors days, there is a picture of MY scope! Article in Field and Stream. They stoled my picture!! LOL

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The old Leupold scopes were good for their day, but pretty sorry compared to what's available today. Trade it for something useful or put it on a period rifle like an old Savage 99, etc.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
[Linked Image]
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/kenster99

/DSCN2387_zpsjvizyfin.jpg[/IMG]

Just HOW OLD is that scope anyhow? I'm "older than dirt" and have had Leupold scopes on my rifles for all of my life. And I have never seen or even heard of a "Mountaneer" ???

Leupold has excellent C.S. IME but I would just donate that thing to a museum someplace.

Natty,

I have one of these, with the post reticle, on a Marlin Model 62, 256 WinMag, probably from the mid-60's. It is "period correct" I'm guessing for the rifle and still seems to work, so I haven't swapped it out....................yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...Mount-caps-XLNT-/132156642379?rmvSB=true

It'll not go to a museum, it'll stay with the rifle until it is sold or passed down. If I choose to put another on it while using it, I'll still keep the scope so it can go with the gun later.

I think it's cool old technology! And while aiming is not as precise, it is fast. Point gun, post under aim point, bang.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Did it come on a rifle? From the same era as the scope? If so, you might consider keeping it with the rifle. Perhaps mount a modern scope for use now, but if you sell/trade the rifle it might help to have an original scope from that time to go with it?

Or not?

I like old stuff and would really hate to send mine to Leupold for cleaning and be sent back a new model. If it's just in need of some cleaning perhaps a camera shop or some sort might be able to take care of it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, the mid 1950's era Leupold Mountaineer is the scope Jack O'Connor had mounted on his famous No.2 rifle. It was the predecessor to the M7 series and are not constantly centered reticle scopes. Leupold can clean & check the adjustments if desired, but if it needs parts or replacement lenses, you might be out of luck. I have one & its good for a period rifle setup, but certainly not up to the standards of modern optics.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
OK ,thanks. I might just mount it on a 22. Still fairly clear, and I like the fine crosshairs with dot reticle. Blew my mind to see my picture of the scope in Field and Stream article by Dave Petzal. Not sure how they got the pic, probably posted on here along time ago.
It came mounted on a beat to hell pre 64 Win 88.!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK ,thanks. I might just mount it on a 22. Still fairly clear, and I like the fine crosshairs with dot reticle. Blew my mind to see my picture of the scope in Field and Stream article by Dave Petzal. Not sure how they got the pic, probably posted on here along time ago.

The parallax free distance may be a hindrance.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Perhaps, the scope once belonged to DP or someone that DP knows who allowed DP to publish the pic of the scope.

Could happen.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Doesnt matter, just kinda funny. Picture I took ,of my scope, on my kitchen counter. I want Royalties!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, sure enough that is your scope in the photo you took some time ago. I remember when you posted it & o'le Petzal must have found it here on the campfire and decided to use it. Too funny!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Doesnt matter, just kinda funny. Picture I took ,of my scope, on my kitchen counter. I want Royalties!!!

I skimmed and missed the part of your post that it was a pic you made. You own the copyrights.

Go git em.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Ken, the mid 1950's era Leupold Mountaineer is the scope Jack O'Connor had mounted on his famous No.2 rifle. It was the predecessor to the M7 series and are not constantly centered reticle scopes. Leupold can clean & check the adjustments if desired, but if it needs parts or replacement lenses, you might be out of luck. I have one & its good for a period rifle setup, but certainly not up to the standards of modern optics.

I have a new in box Leupold 4 X Mountaineer. My scope was made in 1955 and I'm pretty sure it was the first Leupold scope with turret adjustments, prior to that, windage and elevation adjustments were done via the mount (Leupold adjusto mounts).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thats cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.