Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Now that Apex is not receiving any guns until their backlog is better, where do you go to get a nice trigger job on a 9MM or .40 Cal.?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Order the Apex parts from whichever vendor you choose and do it yourself. As long as you can run a punch, hammer and feeler gauges you can do it yourself. Not much to it at all. Their YouTube videos walk you through it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What MA said. There's no reason st all to have someone else install those kits. I've done a dozen or so of them and have never even used feeler gauges.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree with the other fellows. I ordered 4 APEX kits for me and a couple buddies along with a $25 punch kit and had no issues installing in both a 9mm Shield and M&P. Just watch the online videos and follow along.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What MA said. There's no reason st all to have someone else install those kits. I've done a dozen or so of them and have never even used feeler gauges.

I have never needed the feeler guages either, but have used them once on a strictly gaming gun. My 9mm Pro CORE was a little sloppy on reset after the FSS and RAM but as it's only a range toy and I wanted every little bit I could get I tweaked it. Surely didn't need it and I was after minutia for gaming and would have ignored for ccw uses entirely.

For carry stuff the DCAEK and RAM kits have never given me a lick of problems.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like a plan, Fella's. I think I'll get started today

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I ordered one today on e-bay and as soon as I get, I'll try it and if I.m successfull I'll order another. Only about $25 with free shipping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I happen to like the stock Shield trigger very much. What does the Apex trigger do for you?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Shield triggers seem to be much nicer in general than the FS M&Ps. I haven't changed anything on my wife's Shield. If it were mine I'd probably polish it up and leave everything stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My shield got and Apex trigger body (just prefer the center safety bar design to the factory pivot type) and a polish job only. My compacts and full sizes have the DCAEK and RAM kits as well as the trigger bodies.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Shield triggers seem to be much nicer in general than the FS M&Ps. I haven't changed anything on my wife's Shield. If it were mine I'd probably polish it up and leave everything stock.

Does anyone ever just replace the trigger springs in the shield to make the trigger pull any lighter? I saw one apex trigger kit for $150 and another for $91.00 which is almost half the price of the gun, that seems impractical to me. Other than the slide the barrel some molded plastic, and springs there is not too much too a semi auto pistol these days...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Does anyone ever just replace the trigger springs in the shield to make the trigger pull any lighter? I saw one apex trigger kit for $150 and another for $91.00 which is almost half the price of the gun, that seems impractical to me. Other than the slide the barrel some molded plastic, and springs there is not too much too a semi auto pistol these days...

I bought a shield 40 when they were in short supply and had just hit the dealers shelf. The trigger was bad so I bought an Apex kit , it helped immensely but my Glock trigger is still better. It hurts to walk into the local gunshop and see a NIB Shield for 225+ dollars after rebates. I won't buy another that is for sure. I might never buy another Glock either for that matter. grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rondrews
I ordered one today on e-bay and as soon as I get, I'll try it and if I.m successfull I'll order another. Only about $25 with free shipping.

25 bucks for the Apex kit?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just for the spring kit. Not the whole trigger kit. I can't see changing the whole trigger just to improve the action. Some reviews on Midway said changing the whole trigger isn't necessary, just buy the spring kit. The one I bought is for my S&W SD40. I think a Shield kit is less. Like some guys have said here I am not that unhappy with my Shield trigger. I might leave it alone until I try this Apex kit.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought the trigger, DCAEK for my full size 9&45 (even bought a barrel for my 9) but left my Shield 9mm alone. It was pretty good from the factory.

I'm not sure about springs alone though, the sear and plunger made a huge difference in my full size guns and I wound up using one stock spring to keep the pull from being too light. I guess some have had luck polishing the internals though.

Just be sure you actually have a bad trigger first. Sometimes we change things just to be changing things.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TWR
I bought the trigger, DCAEK for my full size 9&45 (even bought a barrel for my 9) but left my Shield 9mm alone. It was pretty good from the factory.

I'm not sure about springs alone though, the sear and plunger made a huge difference in my full size guns and I wound up using one stock spring to keep the pull from being too light. I guess some have had luck polishing the internals though.

Just be sure you actually have a bad trigger first. Sometimes we change things just to be changing things.

Initial Shield triggers were awful. I looked at some a few months ago and they were much better

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never changed just the springs so I don't know how it'll change the feel.

A large part of the improved feel come from the sear and plunger. I usually buy the sear and polish the plunger myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks. I think I'm okay with it the way it is.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 51 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.