Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
If I were to go to Wy. for a month for some, lots, of shooting, say the .223, what equipment should I look at. Press? Probably take the pop-up camper, so space would be limited. Also got to take my fishing pole!
Thanks.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a kit made up for taking to distance matches, I carry a Lee hand press in it. They are not as convenient as a bench mounted press but they work just fine.
Another option is that Midway sells a small break-down table with a plastic base, a round tube and a plastic reinforced top that can be drilled and used with a regular bench mounted press, I have one of those also but it takes up more room so I don't take it unless I expect to do quite a bit of loading on an extended trip,

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee loader and a hand priming tool.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can load a surprising of ammunition using the Lee Hand Press and the hand p riming tool. If you want to stay low tech small box the Lee Dippers work fine. Te Lee Perfect powder measure is a another low cost option.

Slim
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My shooting bench is drilled for a Lee Partner press. Wish I had gotten four of them when they were $10. A precision option are the Wilson hand dies and one of these.http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-tooling-arbor-press-by-henry-harrell Or these http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/sportsman-press

Even though it's slow going you can load a box of shells while your letting your barrel cool down.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lee hand press for sizing and seating, lee case length gauge and cutter, powder scoops and good scale, hand prime tool. That should all fit in a box and do the trick.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd go with the Lee hand Press, too, unless you plan to do a lot of reloading on vacation. I personally think Lyman 310 tools are more portable and more compact, but the 5/8 x 30 dies for .223 are hard to come by, and if you're reloading for a self-loader, neck-size only might not do it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Lee Hand Press. I wouldn't take my money back.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Guys. I`ve heard of the Lee, but not talked to anyone that has one. Sounds like the way to go.
I`ll check them out.
Just want something to back me up in case I go through everything. Plan to take 500 rnds. or so.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Same kind of rig. Definitely a step up and worth the extra money to me. Meacham Load Anywhere press and Harrel's measure.

I'd work hard to make room for wind flags.

A table/bench mounted off the spare tire is handy. Same for something mounted off a receiver hitch depending on clearances.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a setup that I can take along to the range or for traveling with a lightweight RCBS press.............but the real problem is keeping the powder scale out of the wind if you are loading outside at all.

MM

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Works for me.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
For years I took with me a box with my RCBS Jr press bolted to the lid and all the other gear (dies, measure, components, priming tools etc. packed inside. I still have the box but have not used it for some time. It was pretty convenient when I had to load at matches. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Arbor press, Lee Loader, Lee primer tool, Lee powder scale

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
If this is going to be an occasional thing, I would definitely consider a Lee Hand Press kit. I know this is going to sound like a Lee commercial, but for what you are looking to do, you should consider their kit. It includes the hand press, primer, powder funnel, lube and a quick change bushing. Use your dies or buy another set. For the powder, you could use a volume measure like the Lee scoops, or buy an inexpensive scale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I find this kit useful for many situations. Range trips, hunting and competition. When I go to the range, I generally keep a decapping die and a Lee collet die handy to deprime and resize between trips to the line. I used my little kit years ago shooting groundhogs, before the coyotes thinned the population.

It has a lot of different uses. It's inexpensive too, and gets the job done. If you discover that your want to take a kit into the field more often, you can upgrade your equipment as required.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to take a Lee Hand press for my 22-250 with me, and a Redding powder thrower, Lee autoprime..
I used to make sure all the cases were trimmed & chamfered before I left, so as not to have to worry about that for the next loading or two. And I set it up with a neck die and used the Forster neck brush setup with the motor mica lube.
At the time I was using WW760 & AA9 in it. I had the thrower setting recorded, I had tested it many times and was happy with the results on it.
The thrower was mounted on a Jorgensen clamp that I had heated and bent to suit for it. Also used it at Coors matches for my Schuetzen rifle, and various times out at the range on load testing, depending on what powder I was working with. It worked great, the clamp was long enough to mount to anything up to 6" thick. Another way to do the powder is to take brass and trimmed it to the length you need to toss the charge you want for that cartridge, use it like the Lee spoons. Bit of practice with it and you can scoop pretty consistently, even with stick powders.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That lee dipper set fits perfectly in a bigger ammo can. I think it's the 20mm one. I've got my stuff in two ammo cans, a big 50 cal. and the 20mm I think.

I've thought about making a press mount that fits in a receiver hitch. Sometimes it's a really big step between thinking and doing though.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Lucky for me I`m going to be in Green Bay thisThursday...gunna stop at Cabela`s, see what they got. Could pick up that Lee kit.
Sure is nice to see and read all the ideas.
209jones...I have done exactly that when I had a 222, 4895 fill, bullet on top.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have fun at Cabelas.

Years ago, all my centrefire rifles were bolt actions. When I started reloading, I always bought Lee Loaders. I don't think that I would want a Lee Loader if I was going to shoot ground squirrels though. smile

Even with an arbor press pushing in the cases, your arms would get pretty tired banging them out of the die. That's why I got the hand press. I wore myself out resizing the necks, and that was only for 50 or 100. I can't imagine shooting a 223 all day and attempting to use my LL for case prep.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lee Breech lock single stage press $38
Lil Dandy RCBS powder measure $33 + Rotor $10
OR
Lee Perfect Powder Measure $26
All mounted on a Black & Decker Workmate portable bench or Harbor Freight Equivalent
I use the Lee Hand Press to seat bullets at the range in cases primed and sized at home. Nice press but very tiring to use if more than a few rounds to load. If no room for workbench and portability is primary look for a used Pacific Pak-It, Roberts Pax Tool or Lyman 310 Tong tool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.