Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
To my knowledge the 256 win mag was never imported down here though ive heard of a few 30 carbines.

I'd like to hear how you found the 256 seems like it would be a fun rifle for rabbits & foxes.

Johno

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned a couple of Marlin 62s in 218 Bee, 256 Win Mag, and 30 U.S. Carbine.

The 256 Win Mag is OK, but factory ammo was hard to find and expensive, as were reloading components. I mostly shot 86 grain Remington component bullets intended for use in the 25-20 in my 256 Marlin.

The Marlin 62s that I've owned had poor triggers, even after having been worked over by an expert in such things and the barrels are pinned, not threaded, which struck me as being an odd way to attach a barrel on a centerfire rifle.

I have long thought that the Marlin 62 might have found success as a short range deer hunting rifle if Marlin had made them in .44 Magnum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one. It is and it isn't a good rifle cartridge combination. The chamber is too large in diameter at the bade. The chamber is cut too long at the shoulder. This combination is hard on brass. You can load the cartridge down but this makes it a .25-20 which is fine.
You cannot simply neck size as you risk firing the rifle unlocked.
If the barrel were set back 3/4" or so and the rifle rechambered you might overcome the chamber.the cases are easy to form. I have C-H form dies. Rocky uses the seat die and we both get there.

My Marlin does not have a serial number - a few got out like this. I believe the rare rifles are the ones sent back to Marlin to have a serial number applied.

Slim
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got one in 22lr. Fun gun, I wish the mag held more rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Case life for the .256WM is short in the Marlin and in the TC Contender.
I made some rimless cases from .223 Remington bras and this helped some. The cases are different (reduced) capacity and change your load data. I made up some long neck wildcats based on the .223 case and they had promise but the .25-222 would be an easier case to make and work with.
I enjoy small game cartridges and rifles but the .256WM is a lot of work. Bob Millek back in 1993 wrote an article: Why the .256 Winchester Magnum?
His case life was not any better than mine

256WM Broken case
[Linked Image]

256WM Rimless
[Linked Image]

Slim
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johno
To my knowledge the 256 win mag was never imported down here though ive heard of a few 30 carbines.

I'd like to hear how you found the 256 seems like it would be a fun rifle for rabbits & foxes.

Johno

Johno,

I haven't worked with the Model 62 I have enough to give you the rundown as william_iorg did. I have shot a few rounds though mine, maybe 50? I haven't experienced the case head separation,.......... yet. My loads are in the 'medium" range at present. I haven't worked up to max for that gun yet.. I might not if I find a load that shoots well, and extends case life.

My problem is I have a custom revolver in that cartridge and I'd like to find a nice strong level load to use in both without ruining brass. As someone else stated, it's expensive when you can find it. I have a good supply I found at a gun show. Do they have anything similar there in Australia? I haven't attempted to make them from .357 magnum yet, but online searches say it's anywhere from easy to a pain in the arse.

I actually found some original Winchester ammunition, but haven't shot any yet as it is worth more as collector ammo than it is for me to reload it. My Model 62 came with some load info from the previous owner so I'll check those out, perhaps he found one that works without ruining brass. He used some varmint bullets that I believe are no longer available. There is a good amount of date online also.

I can tell you, even from the short (7.5") barrel of my pistol it is more than capable for rabbits and foxes. I killed a javelina of about 30 lbs dressed weight with it using the 75 gr flatpoints from Speer (number 1237). The lungs and liver were mush. I'd imagine they would work well for other things you have there, smaller 'roos maybe?

Someone on here posted some info about a Ruger .357/77 they converted to .256 WinMag. It seems like a suitable rifle for the cartridge, if magazine length allows pointy bullets it might be perfect. I'd like to do one up for myself, but the cost of the donor rifle, even used is too much for me at this time.

Good luck with the round and rifle if you decide to use it.

I look forward to working with mine for a little while as I'm turning "retired" soon and will have more time to get to the range to play with it. Should it not work out, I may send it down the road to finance the Ruger option?

Thanks for starting this off, perhaps it will gain a little traction as I kinda like the little gun on first impression.

Geno

PS, should I find a decent load for it, I'll use out back of our place for bunnies and coyotes and try to remember to post results for all to see.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
William,

as always, thanks for sharing your info on this little cartridge.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fellas thanks or the informative replies, you see ive been thinking on buying on in the US and importing it that side would cost as much as the rifle itself.

The other option that I like is to find a model 62 in 30 carbine and fit a barrel in 5.7 MMJ (Johnson) I think that would make a nice little rifle. I read somewhere a long time back where a bloke made an extended magazine for the 62, I think it only 6 shot but its reasonable without hanging to low.

Heading bush for a few days i'll check back when I return, need to put a sambar on the deck nearly out of venison here

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of the large magazine. I believe it was a factory item. This from the 1963 Gun Digest

[Linked Image]

Slim
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Oh that looks good, what capacity? I see the ad mentions 22 rem jet yet apparently only one was made as a trial.

Got a real nice sambar spiker hanging in the chiller, just have to love the old 300 savage

Johno

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a 256 that shot a literal one hole group at 40 yards. It was an amazing shooter. I still have one levermatic, a 56 in 22LR. I love em.

LOL
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Roy, you ever see either cal in your neck of the woods? if you do what sort of money would one in great condition bring?

Johno

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Johno I don't see them unless on the internet. Great condition $600-700, but you never know you could score one for less.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds reasonable given that around 2010-11 I paid in that range for one in relatively "great" condition, with sling, old Leupold scope, dies, bullets, NOS ammunition, cases, and boxes for reloaded ammo. I figure there was at least $100-200 in the unopened ammo from when it was available, given that brass was nearly $1 ea. at the time.

Of course, as you (FB2) rightly said, should one be able to locate one for sale. They don't seem to come up often.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Winchester 92 that dad rebarreled to 256 Win. Very accurate with factory ammo.
I've made quite a few cases from 357 Mag. Also I have all I need factory.

That 62 seemed to be a lot like my Marlin 57 22. While that rifle was accurate the trigger pull was approximately 20 pounds from the factory. (HARD TO MEASURE!!). Dad wanted to send it back. Walked a lot of bean fields pulling weeds to get that rifle.

That rifle was shot a lot. Towards the end it shot hot gases and burnt powder back in my face.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry for the delay friends in getting back here, have'nt been keeping to well so really only lurking.

I did see a nice one on GB but to expensive for me once you take all the export costs into account

Johno

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have one in 30 Carbine, fun little gun and more accurate than I anticipated
Perfect companion for my Ruger Blackhawk

Last edited by Hairtrigger; 08/07/17.

I am one gun away from happy
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yoy fellas mind having a look at the one on gunbroker at the moment, looks really nice condition but expensive

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a nice rifle. Better condition than mine.
Mine has good blue all over but my stock has no real shine to it.

Marlin made an error when they did not serialize the rifles. Marlin did a recall but few rifles were sent in for the serial number. When Marlin added the serial number they were put on the barrel.
I believe the rare rifles are the ones sent in for the serial number.
My rifle does not have a serial number but I do not consider this to be a selling point.

The .256 WM Marlins have a chamber which is too large in diamiter at the base and too long from rim to shoulder. The rifles are hard on brass. There is little you can do to exte case life. If you load to full potential you will break cases.

Loaded as a .25-20 I have better case life.

Just something to think about.

For $775.00 you can buy a pretty nice rifle. Personally I would leave it to the collectors.

Last edited by william_iorg; 08/10/17.

Slim
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the advice I would be looking at around another $500.00 to import to Australia so its an expensive rifle.

Just to be clear is this one that was sent back to marlin for serial number?

Johno

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.