Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't reload much, but man does it hurt! I've started having arthritis in both thumbs about a year ago.

I have a Lyman case prep setup and RCBS press and dies. I'm working on prepping 150 30-06 brass, once fired. Had no real trouble depriming and resizing. But, they have to be trimmed as they are longer than book indicated max length. Just a tad, but too long. Working the trimmer and deburing tool are just murder. Turning that little crank and twisting the deburring tool. cry

Other than buying the $350 RCBS Universal Case Prep Center (which looks nice!) do you have any hints and suggestions on "less hand intensive" brass prep techniques?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 06/26/17.
GB1

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought the RCBS power trimmer along time ago thankfully, I know your pain I still use the hand crank on real small trim jobs or if I don't have the right shell holder, I just do 10 and walk away till tomorrow, even the WFT trimmers hurt my hands after 10 or so

Getting old anit for p___ys

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can get adapters for most trimmers to attach a cordless screwdriver. Redding makes an adapter to use 8-32 tools in the screwdriver and you can get debur and chamfer tools that will screw into it. The Hornady case prep trio and duoprep might be worth a look too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the Frankford Arsenal model. I don't have one but 2 of my friends do. I may not be able to hold out much longer. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For small lots, 40 cases or less, I use file trim dies.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I took the crank handle off my trimmer and screwed in a 1/4 -20 bolt that i cut off. Then attached the cordless drill to it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I took the crank handle off my trimmer and screwed in a 1/4 -20 bolt that i cut off. Then attached the cordless drill to it

That's what I do too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You can get adapters for most trimmers to attach a cordless screwdriver. Redding makes an adapter to use 8-32 tools in the screwdriver and you can get debur and chamfer tools that will screw into it.

This.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have arthritis all that bad, but I do have really large hands. The handle on the RCBS trimmer was too small from the get-go, so I just place my palm on it and crank it that way. It saves me a lot of cramping-up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, I used to reload handgun ammunition 500 at a time. The solution for me was to build a press powered by an electric motor, I added power to the other handloading operations with a cordless screwdriver.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Got to say that sounds easy enough. Got to figure out how to get the handle off!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I don't reload much, but man does it hurt! I've started having arthritis in both thumbs about a year ago.

I have a Lyman case prep setup and RCBS press and dies. I'm working on prepping 150 30-06 brass, once fired. Had no real trouble depriming and resizing. But, they have to be trimmed as they are longer than book indicated max length. Just a tad, but too long. Working the trimmer and deburing tool are just murder. Turning that little crank and twisting the deburring tool. cry

Other than buying the $350 RCBS Universal Case Prep Center (which looks nice!) do you have any hints and suggestions on "less hand intensive" brass prep techniques?

You could get rid of that Lyman case prep center and buy the Frankford Arsenal unit. It will save your hands big time.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You could get rid of that Lyman case prep center and buy the Frankford Arsenal unit. It will save your hands big time.

Watched the video. That does look nice!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I turned down the shaft on one of the Lyman trimmers that i have.

It fits in the 1/2 in.chuck and i use a cordless drill now.

Even when doing small lots of brass it makes it easier and besides i already had the drill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Grandkids. I have arthritis and it comes and goes. Mine's in my hands worse than other places, and it's especially bothersome trying to do tedious work with the fingers, such as priming cases. I have gotten my granddaughter to place the primers in the priming arm for me, as I was having trouble holding onto them. The rest of the process I could muddle through as long as I took my time. I did buy a Frankford Arsenal case prep center, and it's absolutely great when it comes to trimming and deburring cases.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Got to say that sounds easy enough. Got to figure out how to get the handle off!

Mine just unscrews, reverse threading.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Geezeer, go to the Lee website and get their lock and stud for their case trimmer. A 30-06 single case trimmer w/holder will run you less than $10. It has a 3/8in button on the bottom of the trimmer. Just attach it to your cordless screw driver and trim till the brass stops coming off and then run the burring tool on the inside and outside. Their tool will cut the squarest mouths in the business and all the exact same length. It's not like you're going to do 500 cases at a time. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/30/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For trimming try a WTF - Worlds Finest Trimmer, mount it in a drill set it up just once and you can trim 100 cases in just a few minutes. I ordered a 35 whelen trimmer and I use it on 25-06 / 270 / 30-06 and my 35. It is really only seconds per case.

https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa

Worlds Finest Trimmer

Ted
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The WFT is very nice! Pricey too, and it only trims. And I'd need 3 of them. Still have to hand de-burr unless I picked up a powered de-burr.

Great suggestion and I've never seen them before. Thanks O_W

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Dillon die trimmer.... dies are somewhat spendy. Full length size or bump the shoulder back for a crush fit.... throw them in the tumbler to clean off the lube and make them shinny. I deburr them while watching TV with my cordless Hornady power tool. When it's time to load them... they go through a lee collet die to decap and uniform the neck without stretching them.

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.