Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My son is pretty damn handy doing things mechanically and of repairing things that don't work . He is definitely a computer geek of the first magnitude, he has some serious skills in that area.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

Sad but very true! The thing that pisses me off is the TV add about the teen that needs to call his insurance company to change his flat tire! mad

Last edited by CEJ1895; 06/27/17.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My son is pretty damn handy doing things mechanically and of repairing things that don't work . He is definitely a computer geek of the first magnitude, he has some serious skills in that area.

I am pretty sure those responding to this thread would have made damn sure their offspring can look to their own welfare.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The thing that gets me is that I have witnessed any number of truly horrid little scroats with abysmal parents lacking any semblance of discipline or parental ability, turn into quite reasonable and well settled adults, and I have also seen youths with doting parents and all the benefits of education turn out to be the foulest filth that have even taken breath.

As a general rule though the ones with well adjusted parents tend to be well adjusted adults.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Millennials need an App to perform any function.

High divorce rate has = raised by Mama. Gynocentric Pop Culture pushing Feminism has celebrated the passive White male.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
Millennials need an App to perform any function.

High divorce rate has = raised by Mama. Gynocentric Pop Culture pushing Feminism has celebrated the passive White male.

On Saturday my eighteen year old daughter will be out in the paddock cutting a load of firewood with myself and my wife, my lass will be using the chainsaw and loading...and it will not hurt her to do so.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

Sad but very true! The thing that pisses me off is the TV add about the teen that needs to call his insurance company to change his flat tire! mad

Haaaaa, I said the same thing when I saw that. Unbelievable. That was one of the first things I showed my kid when he first started driving, along with checking the oil and other fluids.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

every thing God put forth is being challenged. Now its " go to college and become a liberal neuter and never break a sweat.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah my son has some pretty useless friends who for the most part come from very wealthy parents, I would say a 50/50 mix, the ones who have parents that GAS are well adjusted. One had multiple used Tahoes which he wrecked(each and every one) and when he graduated from College his dad bought him a Silverado 1500 LTX. SMH

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
FreeMe, your perspective in not skewed.

Most of them never had a job until they were in their 20's. They've never built or fixed anything. They had it handed to them their whole lives. They've been pampered and coddled like little babies and their parents never made them lift a finger. The schools did away with auto mechanics and wood shop, they didn't help either.

My son, on the other hand, was forced to work. We did give him a little pick up when he was 16, but that was more for us so he wasn't driving our cars. But if he wanted to drive it, he needed to get a job to pay for his own gas. When that truck was done, he was on his own and had to get an auto loan and buy it himself. I co-signed for him so that he could build his credit up. He learned how operate a Bobcat when he was about 15 and when he got his truck, he was all over it as far as fixing it and taking care of it. When he was 18, he started working for me and was running heavy machinery and became a great stone cutter. If he needs something done or fixed, he doesn't come wining to Mommy and Daddy, he figures it out for himself and makes it happen. He killed his first deer when he was 11. I showed him how to gut it once, after that, he had to do his self with my supervision. He also had to quarter it, bone it and pack it too. How many 14 year old's can do that? Not too many. When he was about 20, he used to laugh at his friends because they were so lame. I'm very proud of him and what he's become. He's now 25 and owns his own home.

In short.....he's NOT A 'WUSSIE'!!

GOOD JOB!!

I taught my son to fly and he learned agricultural aviation from the ground up. Knows all about radial engines...and now turbine aircraft and runs a multi-million dollar business! He knows a crescent wrench from a Phillips head screwdriver!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I observed two 13-15 year olds getting some un-forced exercise yesterday.
Wife and I were going in to Dick's Sporting Goods and the yutes were jumping up and down and back and forth on the Kayaks that Dick's had out on the sidewalk.
I decided to go act like I was shopping for a Kayak and it made no difference to the Yutes. Apparently nothing was going to deter them from getting their exercise. wink
The sound of blow mold grinding on concrete was music to their ears apparently.
I saw it going on for at least 10 minutes.

FYI- my millennial son is a welder[but may have exercised in this manner earlier in his yute-hood for all that I know].

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh the millennial conversation...

My issue is that the millennial men never became men. They grow a beard, wear a flannel shirt, but any sort of fitness be it in the gym or in the field is foreign to them. They want to look manly - they recognize that need or that want, but it's all fake, just a costume, they don't have the manly core underneath. Broad shoulders, defined arms/body, cardiovascular fitness means nothing to them. Knowing their way in the woods, clueless. Ask them for a metric Cresent wrench and they'd go look for one. Change a tire = AAA to them. Starting a fire means flipping the gas fireplace switch. That's what irks me. It's hard to see our country, literally built on the hard labor, the drive for success, a strong military, go the direction it has. Chivalry means nothing to them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Reminds me of a engineering intern we had at the plant back in the day. The engineering manager asked me if I had something for him to do as he was mostly idle. I had some new manufacturing chairs that needed inventory tags attached so I said sure. The job required drilling two holes and fastening the metal tags to the chair. I handed the kid a drill and a pop rivet tool and a box of the numbered tags and was showing him where to attach the tags. Turns out he had never used a drill and had no clue what a rivet tool was. This was a senior engineering student. I agree however it is mostly the parents fault for not teaching them anything along with the absence of industrial arts in the schools.

I also see reports that in the future we are going to need to double the food out put etc. and then I hear all about the poor coal field and the out of work miners what are we going to do. One obvious answer is in eastern Ky there are thousands of abandoned home places that are grown up in weeds. Funny the only folks that can seem to make that work are the Amish and Mennonites.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was never taught anything mechanical growing up... grew up living in rented housing or on a military base...
Parents had a house, we lived in for 3 years... and they rented it out the rest of the time I grew up as we lived elsewhere...

When it came time for college, I was on my own...If I wanted wheels to get around, I was on my own.

I had to learn the HARD way, of buying cheap VWs, and keeping them running...with NO one to teach me
squat.... I hated it, but it beat walking...

When my son graduated High School, my folks gave him a 5 yr old Scion they had with like 30,000 miles on it.
Was of course in great shape... he was attending the local Community College, and even tho he was taking a program
for him to enter the medical field, I had him enroll in a batch of automotive courses also..

No one taught me, I made darn sure he was taught.. as when I showed him how to do things, he watched with a very
bored looking attitude...at the college he got his hands dirty with hands on experience and instruction. they certainly taught
him more than the basics....he can now do all the daily stuff to keep his car running.. from tune ups to oil changes, brakes, Alignments, Air Conditioning... He has a clue, compared to a lot of other kids his age...

I wish I'd have had courses available like that at his age.... maybe there were and I just never knew it...

on the other end, I've had him over at my buddy's place who is a retired Navy Electronics Instructor...who went and
got a degree in Computers and Computer Technician.. he's taught my son to build computers, and how to fix them...etc...

He is an Eagle Scout and a 4.0 Student... to include his college at the community college level...

He's working at our local hospital fulltime as a Tech supporting ICU and the ER...while he is working on finishing his
bachelor's degree on line in Hospital Administration...

He'll also finish his degree and be already employed when he does....and my biggest present to him... he won't have
any college debt to deal with....after the money ran out for his completing what he has, he is paying for his own tuition
and education via the online school, and then is given reimbursement from the hospital.

He' also conservative.. and most of these millennials always seem to be raised to be democRATS....

I've advised him on routes to go ( something I was never given), but he's been on his own to complete the work...
and it being instructed by someone else in an academic program, he's embraced it with a better attitude...and passed
those courses with a 3.9 GPA.. so stuff has been retained...

Parental involvement goes a long way I think...

Last edited by Seafire; 06/27/17. Reason: spell check..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take a little pride in not always having to take my mechanical stuff to the shop. And there's often little excuse for it since Youtube came along. I spent Father's Day working on a lawnmower that I tore up. John Deere wants a grand for a new transaxle, but the transaxle maker wanted about a hundred bucks for a new axle shaft and rebuild kit. Easy decision, and I don't mind a little grease and sweat sometimes. That being said, I've got a lot of room to grow as a carpenter.....no skills there....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father was a urologist so he never taught me how to rebuild an engine but I worked in his office for a couple of years and can take and develop x-rays (digital imaging nowadays so that's an obsolete skill), diagnose some conditions and infections under a microscope and could do a passable urethroscopy or catheterize someone if need be. Ain't doin' no prostate exams, though, not for love nor money or both.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They tend to be less competent than their female counterparts, in my experience. The only time I really deal with them is at work, though.When it comes to calling the insurance company to change a flat-hey,I did that once. It was after an F250 stopped my car rather abruptly. Totally my fault, no one was hurt thankfully, and the tire was changed when a new used car was bought with the insurance check.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I remember doing basic to intermediate repairs on my old Ford F-100 back in the 1980s, but you could pop the hood and sit on a wheel well and work on the engine there was so much room in there. No computers to fool with, just a simple V-8 302 engine. Now I can't even get my hands in past the oil dipstick on the family Honda van. You have to take half the front end off to replace an alternator.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad taught me how to mechanic, how to run a lathe, how to weld, run a torch, saw, other things....

Got started running heavy equipment early. I used to have to stand up so I could see which way to steer the old 2U D8.

By far the most important thing he taught me was to figure things out on my own.

I hardly every said "I cant figure it out". Would have been a waste of breath any way.

Fellow I worked for in college was the same way, except he used ridicule to motivate you to figure it out.

You can show a kid every little thing, or you can try to make them independent thinkers.

Favorite line from the Green Mile is sorta an example.

Percy: I did not know the sponge was supposed to be wet.

Warden: How long did you spend pissing on the toilet seat before someone told you to put it up?

Something like that anyway.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My children are early and late (21-29 yrs old) millenials, Strangely, the girls are more competent mechanics than the boys. My youngest daughter made a 98% score on her military ASVAB test. Oldest daughter has had to teach
other momma's boys how to chain up a car, pitch a tent, shoot a rifle. It is a sad state of affairs...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.