Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Don't have any rifle that's bedded with fore end pressure. Many are glass bedded, several are just in the wood stock but the action screws are tightened correctly. (Not "farmer tight", JB.) All also have relatively even contact on the bolt lugs, too. My 700 Classic in .300 Savage shot 2" and larger groups out of the box. Barrel floated, action bedded, and lugs lapped gave consistent sub-inch groups with the same loads. The bolt had one lug bearing firmly and the other with the tiniest skim of contact. That made a big difference, once it was lapped. Maybe should have checked it first, but I'm happy with the over all results.

The one rifle I do have that has fore-end pressure is giving me fits on load development. I'm taking a round rasp to the barrel channel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Muledeer offered this tip awhile back. For shims, use the plastic clips that come on bread bags .They have a hole in them that the screw can go thru and are about the same thickness as credit card.Take 3-4 to the range. I know a few guys that have shimmed their rifle and then never did anything else to it..
Whatever is done, make sure you fire 4-5 rounds thru your rifle BEFORE deciding if accuracy improved or got worse ,so you can settle the action in the stock. Then recheck you action screws

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had a Swedish Mauser military rifle that had way too much space between the receiver at the recoil lug and the issue stock, putting excessive up-pressure on the barrel. I didn't want to glass bed it or permanently alter the stock. I made shims from pieces of refrigerator magnet advertisements. They don't shift around under the receiver, and they're easy to cut with that pair of scissors on your bench that you use for such cutting chores. They could be made even less prone to shift by drilling a hold through them for the guard screw.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
As noted above, start with just a shim under the lug area.
Also make sure that wood is still not touching the barrel anywhere.
If no improvements doing this, you have other issues.
If the box is not free to move a little, it may be adding a pressure point you do not want.
If the bolt is touching the stock when locked shut this is also a problem.
If none of this helps, a couple inches of bedding in front of the lug area may help.
If none of this has helped, add something to regain the pressure point at the end of the fore end.

Have you done any load development?
Tim

Good advice, but it may be worth checking the scope mounts and bases, as they can be loose enough to throw a shot yet appear tight.
If all the above fails, I would change the scope and if that fails, bed the action and get someone else to shoot the rifle.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had seven Remingtons, all got free floated, some bedded actions, most just the lug.
Buddies have had as many or more.
One had a VS in .22-250 that liked forend pressure.
To the point now, I don't even test em "as is".
First thing I do is remove the pressure point.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hookeye

To the point now, I don't even test em "as is".
First thing I do is remove the pressure point.

+1

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember a 700 in 223 with the triangle barrel. It shot poorly. I did MD's shim trick, stacked them DEEP, actually had to go buy some longer action screws. The POA shifted eight inches down, and groups went from 2 inches with a tailwind to 3/4 just like THAT. Then the chase began, I ended up needing to build a clamping jig so I could heat and bend the stock. It was not a pleasant exercise and, while a success, I will NEVER try that again. Lesson learned.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I had campfire's own Redneck pillar bed and free float the barrel for me. It was not only a well executed job, but it shrank the groups a solid 1/2" What stood out even more was the ability to keep groups with a warm/hot barrel. In the past, groups would start opening up on the 4th shot. After the free float, we were able to keep 5 shot groups consistent. It was definitely worth doing. Now I have the confidence to tweak loads knowing what the rifle is capable of. BTW, Redneck was a pleasure to deal with. Thanks again Lee.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You're very welcome sir.. FWIW, I hate 'pressure points', especially on any wood stock.. IMHO they create mucho more problems than they cure..

Best wishes... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Years ago I read an article, probably in Gun Digest, that said any 700 could be improved by one swivel swipe to the pressure point, to make a "V" shape.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by wyomike
I have a new CDL in 25/06.It shot O.K., just O.K.--1 1/2" @ 100 yards. I had the action glassed, no improvement, next had it pillar bedded. Still no noticeable improvement, before any of this was done I had replaced the trigger, with a Rifle Basic trigger. I finally replaced the barrel with a Lija, same contour as the factory barrel . Now it shoots like it should have in the first place.---1/2 to 3/4 " Now my $850.00 Remington has an additional $910.00 worth of improvements in it.----Oh well, it's only money.

Another person asked. What about the loads? Before I did all this I would have tried variou loads and bullets. You probably have if you are making this much of an effort.

I am sorta new to loading for rifles. I can't believe how much different the powder and bullet make. I now have a batch where I am loading longer, that I am waiting to try. So far all my loads have been to book lengths.

It has realy surpised me, how one rifle likes partition, the other interlock. Same powder, very similar bullet designs. Or how a couple grains can make a huge difference. 1.5" just seems like big on factory gun, speaking from my bowels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a problem with pressure points on a wooden stock. Over time the pressure causes the wood to relax. When this happens the pressure point is just rubbing the barrel causing problems. Then more shims need to be added to regain wanted pressure. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think MD said they are there to give people something to jack around with. I have seen rifles go both ways or not change at all floated compared to PP. Most cases floated works better and less likely to have POI shifts from slings or different rests or holds but if not easy enough to add a PP.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,291
Posts18,448,935
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.