Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My son has a nice 700 stainless fluted CDL in .257 weatherby. I have been telling him to ditch the stock and let's order a McM for it. He is starting to listen (he is 19 YO) to the old man. In the meantime, I am thinking about sanding off the pressure point on the forearm and see if that might improve accuracy. The gun shoots OK now BUT I know we can do better. Why is there a pressure point to start with? Short of bedding the factory wood stock, should I try to free float the barrel with a shim?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'd float it with a shim first and if accuracy improves sand the points out and bed it. If it doesn't improve then you've not altered the stock.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A couple of chunks of credit card under the chamber usually work for me.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
As noted above, start with just a shim under the lug area.
Also make sure that wood is still not touching the barrel anywhere.
If no improvements doing this, you have other issues.
If the box is not free to move a little, it may be adding a pressure point you do not want.
If the bolt is touching the stock when locked shut this is also a problem.
If none of this helps, a couple inches of bedding in front of the lug area may help.
If none of this has helped, add something to regain the pressure point at the end of the fore end.

Have you done any load development?
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The pressure point is there because the threaded joint of barrel and receiver is not reliably rigid. The pressure point pre-stresses the barrel. It tends to reduce fliers.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by denton
The pressure point is there because the threaded joint of barrel and receiver is not reliably rigid. The pressure point pre-stresses the barrel. It tends to reduce fliers.

As usual, harummph smile Mr. D is right.

However, OTOH, ISC some rifles or barrels shoot better 'free floated'. It seems to be individualistic, maybe a conundrum ?
(ISC = In Some Cases). BTW I don't think there is a hard n fast rule.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/27/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
As noted above pressure points TEND to reduce fliers.
Pressure points just don't work very often for me.
Some swear by them as the absolute fix. I am glad for them.

I am wondering what the OPs groups are that need to be improved.

I also would like to hear what the OPs actions and results are.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not an engineer for a gun company, but have worked on a number of rifles with factory pressure points. I would say that 90 percent, maybe 95 over the years have improved (a LOT) with a good float and bed, sometimes just the float.
But for manufacturers, it's "safer" to pressure a point and settle for "okay."
The guns I worked on, most did better floated. But a few shot amazingly worse floated, while they shot "needs work, but tolerable" with the pressure point -- like in the 2 inch range that is okay for many shooters. But they were TERRIBLE floated. I had one Rem that went from a 2.5 incher to blowing 6 inch patterns no matter what was chambered. I did the card trick and re-did a pressure point, then it was a 1.5 MOA gun but the point of aim would change with environmental conditions. That rifle got sold soon after.
I still have another rifle, a military sort-of-collectible, that got the full monty bedding treatment. It finally shot, with full-length bedding and the stock otherwise sealed completely with either thick finish or epoxy.
With all that said, I would bet money that it is a risk calculation against profit that drives the decision to pressure the forearm. The odds going out the door is, if a gun is "acceptable," it won't be sent back. If it goes out floated and is terrible, back it comes. If it's only 5 percent, that's bad, when the "safe" option of a bed point only brings 1 percent back, if that.
There's another factor. If you float something, or change the rifle in any way, guess what? You've voided the warranty, officially. SOME companies, and I won't spill any beans, will work with you if you explain everything you did before calling them up. Most won't.

That all said, unless you have a flyweight barrel, careful, orderly floating and/or bedding almost always improves grouping and consistency. If it doesn't, there's something fundamentally wrong.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I am going to shim, I am going to put it right where the screw goes through it. Putting it anywhere else will leave space under the bottom of the action, which will force the action to bend when the screw is tightened and it is pulled down.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Unless you know what you are doing with the original wood stock, I`ve done many, float, pillar bed etc, save your self time and trouble. Get the McM or H-S Precision. They will be stable for life, and you can enjoy the rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton

I think "reliably" is the key word, you'd expect a properly fitted and assembled barrel/receiver to be plenty rigid. Past that I think the pre-stressing against the stock provides dampening to somewhat suppress (statistical smile ) variations in barrel vibration which can come from any number of things. May be helpful, maybe not, depending. Since manufactures build and test fire gazillions of rifles I suspect it helps more than not for mass produced rifles.

So I think we're saying essentially the same thing in different ways.

(Just felt compelled to stick statistics into the mix. wink )

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
To answer a few questions; we are getting about 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, sometimes 1". I have not done a lot of load work. We are currently shooting 110 gr NAB's and a max charge of r22. I think his velocity is 3400 fps. The mag box is free. I do think heat has been an issue when sighting in. I would like to see consistency in the groups. I have a 1965 6mm rem with a factory wood stock that has been bedded. I can shoot that rifle until it gets VERY hot and it will drop bullets into less than an inch all the time.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'vew often thought (just speculation on my part) that this issue may have to do with whether the (internal) receiver threads are square to the face of the receiver and/or the (external) threads on the barrel shank are square to the face of the shoulder of the shank. If a square condition exists with both parts, the shoulder of the barrel shank snugs up all the way around where it meets the face of the receiver, the barrel is going be pretty stable, and the more free-floated the better. If an out of square condition exists, it can create a "whipping" effect that can be stabilized by some fore end tip pressure. My guess is, this would not tend to resist thermally-induced point of impact change as much as having everything square to begin with. I think these same dynamics can exist as a result of a lack of concentricity between the OD of the barrel and the bore diameter. As I said, just speculating.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
With all that said, I would bet money that it is a risk calculation against profit that drives the decision to pressure the forearm. The odds going out the door is, if a gun is "acceptable," it won't be sent back. .

Good post Dave. I'd say, another factor is that it's really quick and cheap to slap a pressure point in the forearm (vs. bedding it right) and it improves most rifles going out the door.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sakoluvr, I'd talk with MR. Gadget. He can have that wooden stock bedded, and your rifle shooting accurately in no time flat.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fats
Sakoluvr, I'd talk with MR. Gadget. He can have that wooden stock bedded, and your rifle shooting accurately in no time flat.

TFF I will tell him you sent me.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Even if a pressure point improves group size on the bench, it will introduce POI shift from field positions as the stock flexes in different ways and this in turn flexes the barrel-action joint.

There is no substitute for correct free floating.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a new CDL in 25/06.It shot O.K., just O.K.--1 1/2" @ 100 yards. I had the action glassed, no improvement, next had it pillar bedded. Still no noticeable improvement, before any of this was done I had replaced the trigger, with a Rifle Basic trigger. I finally replaced the barrel with a Lija, same contour as the factory barrel . Now it shoots like it should have in the first place.---1/2 to 3/4 " Now my $850.00 Remington has an additional $910.00 worth of improvements in it.----Oh well, it's only money.

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I float the barrel and glass bed the action on all my wood stocked 700s. I've never had a problem getting hunting accuracy (inch and a quarter or under for me) with bullets I want to hunt with using this method.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't have any rifle that's bedded with fore end pressure. Many are glass bedded, several are just in the wood stock but the action screws are tightened correctly. (Not "farmer tight", JB.) All also have relatively even contact on the bolt lugs, too. My 700 Classic in .300 Savage shot 2" and larger groups out of the box. Barrel floated, action bedded, and lugs lapped gave consistent sub-inch groups with the same loads. The bolt had one lug bearing firmly and the other with the tiniest skim of contact. That made a big difference, once it was lapped. Maybe should have checked it first, but I'm happy with the over all results.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.