Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just wanted to thank Redneck publicly. I have a M70 Compact Classic (short action, originally a 7-08) that had been barreled to 257 Roberts.
It had always been contrary in terms of feeding. But lately had been giving me more probems, and began to not extract properly. Two local 'smiths looked at it.

The first said there was nothing wrong with the rifle as it extracted Remington factory ammo just fine, The problem, he said, was with the Winchester brass. Being a long time Roberts slut, I have large stash of Winchester brass, so I didn't like that answer!

The second 'smith "fixed" it. ..it did usually "work", but it almost required a hammer to push a round into the chamber.

Next, I thought maybe it was the cheap Winchester extractor, so I ordered a new Williams..No improvement.

Since I had heard good things about Redneck here regarding his expertise with M70's, I shipped the dang thing to him.

He fixed and returned it promptly, price was fair, and it now feeds and extracts like a M70 should! Thanks, Lee, for a job well done. ST

Last edited by southtexas; 06/27/17.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, Lee can make a model 70 sing.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GREAT !!

Can U tell us what he did, to make it function ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jerry: The magazine block had been removed to allow a slightly longer COAL. But the bolt stop and the ejector had not been modified. He also worked on the feed rails and the follower, along with installing a new Winchester extractor. At least, that's my, probably oversimplified, understanding. .

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Redneck did a great job on my 70. Great trigger, shoots anything I've tried, and has never missed a beat.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice, bet it makes you happy as heck with it feeding and functioning so well. Sounds like a cool rifle.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, that put a smile on my face this morning... And you're very welcome! smile

Some guys that rebarrel a M70 do not pay attention to the other workings of the action that are necessary for it all to work in concert - hence your issues with the rifle.. I hope it gives you many many years of good service..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
Jerry: The magazine block had been removed to allow a slightly longer COAL. But the bolt stop and the ejector had not been modified. He also worked on the feed rails and the follower, along with installing a new Winchester extractor. At least, that's my, probably oversimplified, understanding. .

I was following everything until I saw this.

Isn't the William extractor superior to the OEM Winchester part?

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that Winchester was using Williams extractors now. Can someone clarify this ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A) yes, it is a sweet little rifle!, thx
B) I believe this particular rifle was built before Winchester started using Williams extractors.
C) I dunno why the Williams extractor didn't work. Just happy that the rifle works now, and I guess I have a spare extractor

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

DF
Yes, and no... The later Winchesters are using Williams extractors.. This was an older model. He had tried a Williams in it and it was not holding the round close enough to the bolt face. When a case was extracted it would literally fall off the bolt face and sit on the next round in the magazine.. I was fortunate enough to have an original MIM extractor on hand and swapped it in for the Williams.. When placing them both side-by-side the Williams had a noticeably longer gap between the guide and the claw which allowed the case to become loose.. I had to modify the magazine a bit, along with the follower, bolt stop and ejector in order to get it all working as a functional unit..

Whoever rebarreled the rifle obviously knew nothing about M70s - although they did extend the magazine for the longer round in a unique (and very interesting) way which helped it all a bit.. It was also a magazine that I hadn't seen before and is not listed in the Winchester parts book that I have.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All the rifles Lee has built for me are as good as it gets. I have a M 70 SS NH Classic with him now, waiting on the parts to arrive to have the ultimate 6.5x55.... You definitely chose the right metal artist.... Any plumber can screw on a barrel, takes a man with knowledge and skills to build a rifle...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck

DF
Yes, and no... The later Winchesters are using Williams extractors.. This was an older model. He had tried a Williams in it and it was not holding the round close enough to the bolt face. When a case was extracted it would literally fall off the bolt face and sit on the next round in the magazine.. I was fortunate enough to have an original MIM extractor on hand and swapped it in for the Williams.. When placing them both side-by-side the Williams had a noticeably longer gap between the guide and the claw which allowed the case to become loose.. I had to modify the magazine a bit, along with the follower, bolt stop and ejector in order to get it all working as a functional unit..

Whoever rebarreled the rifle obviously knew nothing about M70s - although they did extend the magazine for the longer round in a unique (and very interesting) way which helped it all a bit.. It was also a magazine that I hadn't seen before and is not listed in the Winchester parts book that I have.

I have a New Haven M-70 .375 H&H Classic SS. It cycles great, if fact you did some work on it.

It has the OEM Winchester extractor, I thought about swapping it for a Williams.

Now, think it may pay to leave well enough alone...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never fix what ain't broke... Trust me on that... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee, I could swear USRAC made a Roberts-specific follower... is that the case? Likely it was a LA not a SA.

Also, is it safe to assume when taking out the magazine block on a SA to open it for the 3" Roberts, a LA follower has to be modified (shortened) to fit?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Lee, I could swear USRAC made a Roberts-specific follower... is that the case?
Not that I'm aware of..
Likely it was a LA not a SA.
Yep.

Also, is it safe to assume when taking out the magazine block on a SA to open it for the 3" Roberts, a LA follower has to be modified (shortened) to fit?
It's usually better to leave the SA follower in place, but work the magazine spring carefully so as to ensure even pressure front-to-back, or else it can 'rock' and cause misfeeds.. ..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the response Lee.

I got to wondering about the 257 Rob follower and my memory... apparently still firing on all 3 cylinders!

257 Rbt's Follower:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/winchester-model-70-followers/U353600850

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny - that looks exactly like the standard follower found in many M70s from the mid-80s on... smile

I wonder if that was for a pre-64 M70... That part number you list, (or product description) is not found in my M70 parts book - but mine is for the PF, CRF and CRPF models..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redneck - "Never fix what ain't broke... Trust me on that... " How true, how true. One can avoid a lot of self induced
"pain" by doing so, mentall and otherwise. Homesteader

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Redneck - "Never fix what ain't broke... Trust me on that... " How true, how true. One can avoid a lot of self induced
"pain" by doing so, mentall and otherwise. Homesteader

laugh

It's hard for a Loony to resist compulsions to "fix" stuff, which sounds like job security for Lee and colleagues.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.