Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm just a mouse click and a mailed deposit away from starting a 6.5 Creed custom build. Then I start looking at all the factory guns hitting the shelf that hammer home the 6.5 factory ammo.

So I've held my email and my deposit to ask: Should I just go with one of the excellent factory options? Save the dough and buy more ammo to burn into the wind? Has the great ammo and good guns killed the custom 6.5 Creed?

Help me decide oh wise ones. Build it or buy it.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Guess it depends on what you're planning to do with it. What were you planning on the custom specs being?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I,m left handed and waiting for the LH Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM rather than building one.

A factory rifle usually is cheaper than most custom builds, and lately preforms as well as a lot of custom builds.

Plus if it has issues you can get it resolved.

And have more resale value, but there is something to be said about taking 2 or 3 thousand dollars and getting half back!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Llama...I was going to drop a check off with the boys at GA Precision for a non typical with a little extra weight, a manners, and a DBM. Basically a high end Tikka CTR, if I'm being honest with myself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dang, that is a tough one right there. To me it comes down to what I can get from the factories and if I think they will be what I want them to be. So darned many good 6.5 CM's out there, it would be tough to build one unless I was just sitting on a perfect action.

Semper Fi
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Now that the Tikka CTR is available in 6.5 Creed, and with both 20" and 24" barrels.... it's pretty much a no-brainer to me.

CTRs have killed two custom 6.5s in my safe....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tikka T3x CTR stainless 24" 6.5 creedmoor and a MDT ESS Chassis or your pick, XLR, KRG, MPA. Check out the sticky Tikka thread over on sniper's hide and search for the recent CTR threads. Stupid results from a factory gun. Think you'll be pleased. If not can always sell and go GAP

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Specifically in the context of hunting rifles, if I was going to go custom I'd want a larger case capacity than the Creedmoor case for a 6.5 - WSM/SAUM/GAP, 6.5-06, .264WM etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm patiently waiting on the kimber open coutry to come out for my short action 6.5 needs. My 264 win mag stacks holes on top of one another with 130 gr. Accubonds at 3100. 6.5's are such a fun little game, you really can have 3 or 4 of them in different calibers set up in unique ways and not get bored

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Tikka T3x CTR stainless 24" 6.5 creedmoor and a MDT ESS Chassis or your pick, XLR, KRG, MPA. Check out the sticky Tikka thread over on sniper's hide and search for the recent CTR threads. Stupid results from a factory gun. Think you'll be pleased. If not can always sell and go GAP

This would be a very tempting way to go. 24" CTR in an MPA BA Lite would be my vote.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I haven't shot a factory 6.5 Creedmoor that wouldn't shoot. And those four were two Ruger American Predators, Ruger Predator Hawkeye, and the Howa Lightning. I think a Tikka CTR would perform better if not just as good. However the Custom build may offer a rifle that's built to suit you. I've done that too. Life is full of choices. LOL

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by fats
I haven't shot a factory 6.5 Creedmoor that wouldn't shoot. And those four were two Ruger American Predators, Ruger Predator Hawkeye, and the Howa Lightning. I think a Tikka CTR would perform better if not just as good. However the Custom build may offer a rifle that's built to suit you. I've done that too. Life is full of choices. LOL

And, I'd include factory CM ammo.

Just seems to be a well thought out, well executed project.

Cudos to Steve Hornady, Chief Ballistic Scientist, Dave Emary and the Hornady team.

First thing they did, they listened...

Df

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I agree with the guys above. The CTR is very impressive straight out the box. Bought one a month or two ago in the 20" barrel from Whittakers and have been very pleased with it.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by fats

And, I'd include factory CM ammo.

Just seems to be a well thought out, well executed project.

Cudos to Steve Hornady, Chief Ballistic Scientist, Dave Emary and the Hornady team.

First thing they did, they listened...

Df

You're right Dirtfarmer, I've only shot Hornady, Winchester, and Copper Creek factory Ammo. I haven't seen the need to reload!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Factory ammo is very good.

But factory ammo (inch/sub inch) doesn't group like my 123 gr. Scenar/Varget reloads (sub half inch).

Still, for those who don't reload, the 6.5 CM is a good choice, great performance with off the shelf guns and ammo.

That's a real achievement, IMO.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I'm just a mouse click and a mailed deposit away from starting a 6.5 Creed custom build. Then I start looking at all the factory guns hitting the shelf that hammer home the 6.5 factory ammo.

So I've held my email and my deposit to ask: Should I just go with one of the excellent factory options? Save the dough and buy more ammo to burn into the wind? Has the great ammo and good guns killed the custom 6.5 Creed?

Help me decide oh wise ones. Build it or buy it.

As other folks have said, it depends entirely on what you want to do with it. When I was in the Army, I got some serious trigger time on the prototypes of what later became the M-24 Sniper Weapon System, and the Tikka T3 Lite that sits in my safe right now will outshoot them. It is by far the most accurate rifle I've ever worked with, and with a sticker price about like that of a Glock, I see no justification for a custom just to get pure accuracy. For the kind of money involved in a 700-based custom, I'd very seriously consider getting a Tikka and truly superb glass.

That said, I'm a big fan of blue/walnut rifles. Tikkas offer very little to love in that department, so I MIGHT consider a blue/walnut custom, but that's way down the line for me.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This Creed has been a perpetual project for a couple of years. It started out as a .22-250 I got in an estate sale, for cheap. The barrel was toast. I had a 24" #2 SS Shilen fitted, and have had three stocks glassed and fitted. The first was an HS I got on the Classifieds. I found the comb to be really high, needed high rings. Then, I picked up a used McWoody mtn. rifle stock, fitted and glassed it. I think it's the prettiest, but is std. fill, sorta heavy. I then took an ADL stock with lots of sap wood, hollowed out the butt, slimmed it down, rattle can painted it, glassed the action, free floated the barrel. It's 26 oz, about the weight of a Hunters Edge. I like the aluminum butt plate on these old vintage M-700 stocks. This one came off a buddy's late '60's .243 that we fitted with a better stock. Sap wood is bad, but it's light. So, it was OK, set up like this. Paint covers a lot... grin

Anyway, I sorta like this old ADL stock, the other two are BDL's and I have a BDL set up for them. I like the Conquest, will get a ballistic tape for the turret when I decide on a load. This Creed shoots almost everything well, so deciding is tough... grin

But a Loony's just gotta experiment. We can't help ourselves... cry

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found a Legendary Arms Works rifle in 6.5 CM while they were in transition. It is the Professional Model and I could not be more pleased. It shoots Hornady 129 gr Whitetail Hunter very well and Hornady 143 gr VLD-X even better.

I would also consider a Barrett Fieldcraft, but I really don't need one at this point.

I am definitely a rifle looney, and am having a 260 Rem being built, but I can't imagine giving up the LAW.

donsm70

PS. I also had a Savage in 6.5 CM for a short time, but it went down the road.

Last edited by donsm70; 07/09/17.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don,

Barrett fieldcraft?
Jarrett beanfield?
It's a lysdexic utopia! :-)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
You are correct. That is probably one of the reasons I don't need one at this stage of my life.

I meant Barrett Fieldcraft. I fixed my original post.

Thanks AK.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 07/09/17.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.