Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So a little background.
I just graduated high school and will be going to college in the fall and I want to buy a good hunting jacket that will last me 15-20 years. I am willing to spend some money (up to $400) (looking to invest with some of my graduation money) but also want to be reasonable. I live in Indiana but only God knows where I could be living 10 years from now. I cannot remember a single time being warm in the blind and this is my major gripe about hunting. I understand no jacket is perfect but I want something durable and versatile to last me many years. I hunt deer, duck/geese, and pheasant pretty much every year. I also usually elk hunt every 4 years in CO and am going this fall which is why I posted here.

So what jacket would you recommend?
Again I'd like to hear from guys who have had their jacket for 5+ years and have been overly satisfied. Also warranty is a must.

Thanks in advance!

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's most important to you? Sitting in a blind hunting waterfowl is a lot different than running ridges looking for elk. Camo? Waterproof? Warm enough to sit in a freezing blind or versatile enough so you don't overheat when you're moving?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Basically you’re asking about one jacket to hunt the lower 48. That’s a tall order, but it can be done.

When I was your age, I hunted in jeans, department-store boots, cotton waffle-weave long handles, cotton flannel shirts, and an old M-65 field jacket. That much cotton is a recipe for being miserable and I froze my ass off most of the time. Looking back, I’m amazed that I didn’t just give up on hunting entirely. Then I discovered mountaineering and skiing. People who spend time in the mountains are not afraid to put money into their sport, and they push technology like crazy because being comfortable can mean the difference between life and death.

One of the first things you learn is that layering is the best way to stay warm, which means a system, not just one jacket. Start with polypro long underwear, then add insulating layers as needed for the conditions. (Experience will teach you which layers you need and when you need them, but as smokepole pointed out, it varies widely based on what you hunt and how you hunt it.) Top all of that off with a wind-resistant GoreTex outer shell and you’re good.

A full system to cover the lower 48 will cost a lot more than $400, but you can pick up pieces here and there. The most versatile piece is the shell, so that's where I'd invest. For years, I used a black North Face Guide's Jacket over my insulating layers. It was rugged as hell and relatively quiet. I varied the insulating layers for deer hunts in warm autumn rain and elk hunts in wind-blown sleet or snow up to my ass. Also, since it was a solid color, I could wear it to work, so I got a lot of use out of it. Unfortunately, I tore one of the sleeves a while ago, so I had it repaired and now it’s in reserve.

I replaced it with a Sitka Cloudburst (https://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/jackets-vests/cloudburst-jacket), which I recently wore on an elk hunt (https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11623852/Searchpage/1/Main/800021/Words/%2Broosevelt/Search/true/first-elk-first-roosevelt#Post11623852). It rained every day of that hunt, and this jacket was easily one of the best hunting-gear purchases I've made in the last 40 years. The outfitters on that hunt were wearing Kuiu (http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-rain-ge...olor=ViasCamo&cgid=rain-gear#start=4). I believe that Kuiu and Sitka are pretty much top of the heap these days. They borrow ideas about materials and construction from mountaineering, then combine that with camo technology that has come out of the recent wars. For that reason, I’d forget about this:
Originally Posted by Shifty98
Again I'd like to hear from guys who have had their jacket for 5+ years and have been overly satisfied.
The technology in outdoor gear changes so fast that something more than five years old is practically pre-historic. This definitely applies to my old North Face jacket. It's similar to the Sitka, but the Sitka has a number of details that are far superior: the pocket designs, the zippers, the hood, even the Velcro is all way better than it was on my old North Face Guide's Jacket. So while the North Face is still a viable option, it's just not in the same class as the Sitka.

I can't give you too much advice on a pattern for everything. I'd be tempted to go with multicam or something like the Sitka pattern, as it seems pretty versatile. And that's another very recent advancement that you won't find on older garments. When the US government needed new camo uniforms for the military, they wanted ONE pattern for everything instead of several patterns. Hunters are benefitting from that, so you no longer need to have the same stuff in several different patterns unless you just want to. I don't have that kind of money...

Finally, get the largest size they make so you'll have room for plenty of insulating layers underneath, even if that means placing a special order and waiting a while for it to show up.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'd say my priority is to be warm when stationary. What I've don't for elk in the past is pack my coat in then put it on in the stand (carhartt by the way). I'd say that the shell is definitely a need because my current hunting jacket is more of a middle layer and not entirely waterproof. I'd like something warmer than just a rain jacket though. I've been looking at Firstlight and like the sanctuary jacket except the price.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I think you're missing my point.

Even if you want to be warm while stationary, it's still not a good idea to expect one piece of clothing to handle it. If you read what the Firstlight website says about the Sanctuary jacket that you mentioned, the very first line talks about it being part of a layering system.

Your current jacket will be a lot warmer if you put a good shell over it, plus it will keep you dry.

Which Carhartt are you using?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I understand layering. The sanctuary jacket was what I was looking at before seeking advice on here.
Right now I have both the heavy classic Carhartt and the hooded lighter one. Both with the canvas exterior and quilted interior.
Do you are suggesting a shell type jacket?
Is that basically a rain jacket type exterior with a sort of insulation inside it but is intended to be worn with a insulation heavy mid layer that is not water/wind proof?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Firstlight looks to be a very nice jacket and it sounds like it'll do most of what you want. I bet you can get it for less than $400 if you can wait for a sale. It's water resistant, not waterproof but IMO that's a good thing; I want my waterproof shell to be separate from my insulating layer so that I'm not wearing the shell all the time. The one I use as my "warm jacket" has been a puffy jacket made by Mountain Hardware, the Chugach but they don't make it any more. It's not as nice as the firstlight though.

PS, here's a little unsolicited advice related to this:

Originally Posted by Shifty98
What I've don't for elk in the past is pack my coat in then put it on in the stand (carhartt by the way). .

I'd be willing to bet you grew up hunting whitetails. Hunting "on-stand" is a good strategy for whitetails but rarely is for elk on public land. When I moved to CO it took me a couple years to figure that out, and to figure out that my success rate went up exponentially once I stopped hunting stationary and started moving until I found animals. Sneaking within range of elk and getting a good shot opportunity out west is much much easier than sneaking within range of whitetails back east. The footing is much quieter and the animals are not as paranoid. Plus, elk move around to different areas at the drop of a hat or for no reason you can discern. You can be hunting over really heavy sign but the animals have moved out. So the heavy jacket is almost always in my pack and I'm normally wearing much more svelte layers for 95% of my hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a couple of ways you could go with it: A warm jacket you can wear for 25 years and stay warm in, and a newer-technology jacket that is great for hiking around, water-resistant, versatile.

Good quality wool will keep you warm, is very durable, breathes well, is water-resistant, insulates when wet. It's also heavy and bulky.

Something like the Kuiu Guide jacket is fairly warm, water-resistant, very functional and versatile, lightweight and pack-able, but won't last nearly as long as a good wool coat. I certainly wouldn't expect 25 years out of it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So here's what I think I'm hearing.
Buy good puffy insulated and warm mid layer. May just keeping current mid layer non waterproof hunting coat.
Buy good shell jacket that is waterproof but certainly separate from insulated mid layer.
Does anyone have specific examples of jackets for each category or pictures?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There is no 1 for all jacket. There are just too many variables. I have a hooded fleece uninsulated waterproof shell that comes as close as anything. In warmer weather, I wear it over a shirt. As it gets colder, I add whatever is needed under it. It's kind of baggy so I can get a lot on under it. The hood is removable so I use it as needed. When it's really cold, the hood wraps around my face and is a great windbreaker.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
One jacket is tough. IMHO there really isn't a silver bullet... different tools are meant for different situations. Looks like your on the right track for layering.

I hunt elk in September, Whitetails in Nov, and coyotes through Feb. Most of the hunting is on the move. I like having a nice base layer (wool), an optional insulation layer, an outer shell jacket (currently Skre hardscrabble), then something waterproof in the pack. Took me a number of years to feel I got it right, and weather still makes me wonder if I need something different. Overall I prefer light gear as many miles are covered each season.

Sitting in a blind ambushing whitetails and waterfowl in the midwest's weather is much different than finding and stalking deer and elk out West. Out here gear requirements can change if your hunting plans change by a couple weeks or a few thousand feet elevation. The one item I always use is wool base layers. I suggest starting there.
Good luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There is no 1 for all jacket. There are just too many variables. I have a hooded fleece uninsulated waterproof shell that comes as close as anything. In warmer weather, I wear it over a shirt. As it gets colder, I add whatever is needed under it. It's kind of baggy so I can get a lot on under it. The hood is removable so I use it as needed. When it's really cold, the hood wraps around my face and is a great windbreaker.

I agree with the layering you guys are suggesting. I also have a thin waterproof jacket that is folded up and in my pack most of the time, until it starts getting colder or starts raining or snowing while elk hunting. I like a thinner jacket like this that I can wear about 1/2 the time I'm out actually hunting elk, the other half the time, it's packed away in the pack.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at garments that are made out of Schoeller Textile fabrics. Kryptek Altitude products come to mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you certainly asked a great question and to a *very* knowledgeable and experienced pool of elk hunters and outdoorsmen.

Not to be argumentative with 22WRF, but I've not had good experience with the Schoeller "soft shell" fabrics/garments. I tried 'em when the y first came out in climbing/mountaineering garments. My experience was they did not keep melting snow from soaking me nor did they "wick" away or breathe enough to keep incidental perspiration from soaking my base layer.... Maybe they've improved over the years..?

You have good taste - that Firstlight jacket does look very good - depending, of course, on atmospherics.

A large, fail-safe shell jacket/parka and pants are a must (I have a Cabela's "Guide-Wear" and it's the closest thing to my old North Face "Guide Jacket" like Okie mentioned - it was good for what it was). For shell pants, i picked up some British "g-tex" mil-surp for cheap and it is nothing short of awesome (fully water and snow-melt proof!).

An insulated mid-layer is also important and for that i've gravitated back to wool. I love my wool vest coupled with breathable base layer long-sleeve T-shirts (again, depending on temps/wind/activity). When it's colder, i have a few select 100% wool sweaters that have been amazing on my forays into the mountains. Good quality, Irish 100% wool sweaters can be sourced on eBay. You can spend anywhere from $35 for a "previously owned" (I have several like this that look like new) or $200-$300 (or more...).

There are some amazing options available these days which requires a disciplined, bias-free reflection on your actual, anticipated needs.

Enjoy the search!!!

A
A
swazi they just work great

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What works in alaska usually won't work in texas so remember the laying part.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I agree with the layering you guys are suggesting. I also have a thin waterproof jacket that is folded up and in my pack most of the time, until it starts getting colder or starts raining or snowing while elk hunting. I like a thinner jacket like this that I can wear about 1/2 the time I'm out actually hunting elk, the other half the time, it's packed away in the pack.
My parka isn't thin. I wear it when I know I'll need it all day because its too bulky to stuff in a pack. What I pack are the layers under it. Mine is heavy fleece with a liner and a waterproof layer between them.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Dick at Owl Creek cropped lr.jpg (78.88 KB, 14 downloads)

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Does anyone have specify recommendations for a shell type jacket?
Right now I'm thinking I'll keep my current jacket as my insulative layer but add a waterproof shell on top for those days when the weather is really bad.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Westcomb makes nice stuff but you'll need to look for sales to get a good price. The Marmot Precip is a less expensive alternative.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Your biggest problem will be that most likely you will not be the same size 20 years from now as you are today, trust me. When I got out of high school I was 158 lbs and had a 30" waist, I will not tell you my size now.

Something like a Cabelas 7 in 1 ( 5 in 1) type jacket with a zip out insulated inner jacket with weather proof shell will give you a lot of versatility until you out grow it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.