Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So a little background.
I just graduated high school and will be going to college in the fall and I want to buy a good hunting jacket that will last me 15-20 years. I am willing to spend some money (up to $400) (looking to invest with some of my graduation money) but also want to be reasonable. I live in Indiana but only God knows where I could be living 10 years from now. I cannot remember a single time being warm in the blind and this is my major gripe about hunting. I understand no jacket is perfect but I want something durable and versatile to last me many years. I hunt deer, duck/geese, and pheasant pretty much every year. I also usually elk hunt every 4 years in CO and am going this fall which is why I posted here.

So what jacket would you recommend?
Again I'd like to hear from guys who have had their jacket for 5+ years and have been overly satisfied. Also warranty is a must.

Thanks in advance!

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's most important to you? Sitting in a blind hunting waterfowl is a lot different than running ridges looking for elk. Camo? Waterproof? Warm enough to sit in a freezing blind or versatile enough so you don't overheat when you're moving?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Basically you’re asking about one jacket to hunt the lower 48. That’s a tall order, but it can be done.

When I was your age, I hunted in jeans, department-store boots, cotton waffle-weave long handles, cotton flannel shirts, and an old M-65 field jacket. That much cotton is a recipe for being miserable and I froze my ass off most of the time. Looking back, I’m amazed that I didn’t just give up on hunting entirely. Then I discovered mountaineering and skiing. People who spend time in the mountains are not afraid to put money into their sport, and they push technology like crazy because being comfortable can mean the difference between life and death.

One of the first things you learn is that layering is the best way to stay warm, which means a system, not just one jacket. Start with polypro long underwear, then add insulating layers as needed for the conditions. (Experience will teach you which layers you need and when you need them, but as smokepole pointed out, it varies widely based on what you hunt and how you hunt it.) Top all of that off with a wind-resistant GoreTex outer shell and you’re good.

A full system to cover the lower 48 will cost a lot more than $400, but you can pick up pieces here and there. The most versatile piece is the shell, so that's where I'd invest. For years, I used a black North Face Guide's Jacket over my insulating layers. It was rugged as hell and relatively quiet. I varied the insulating layers for deer hunts in warm autumn rain and elk hunts in wind-blown sleet or snow up to my ass. Also, since it was a solid color, I could wear it to work, so I got a lot of use out of it. Unfortunately, I tore one of the sleeves a while ago, so I had it repaired and now it’s in reserve.

I replaced it with a Sitka Cloudburst (https://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/jackets-vests/cloudburst-jacket), which I recently wore on an elk hunt (https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11623852/Searchpage/1/Main/800021/Words/%2Broosevelt/Search/true/first-elk-first-roosevelt#Post11623852). It rained every day of that hunt, and this jacket was easily one of the best hunting-gear purchases I've made in the last 40 years. The outfitters on that hunt were wearing Kuiu (http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-rain-ge...olor=ViasCamo&cgid=rain-gear#start=4). I believe that Kuiu and Sitka are pretty much top of the heap these days. They borrow ideas about materials and construction from mountaineering, then combine that with camo technology that has come out of the recent wars. For that reason, I’d forget about this:
Originally Posted by Shifty98
Again I'd like to hear from guys who have had their jacket for 5+ years and have been overly satisfied.
The technology in outdoor gear changes so fast that something more than five years old is practically pre-historic. This definitely applies to my old North Face jacket. It's similar to the Sitka, but the Sitka has a number of details that are far superior: the pocket designs, the zippers, the hood, even the Velcro is all way better than it was on my old North Face Guide's Jacket. So while the North Face is still a viable option, it's just not in the same class as the Sitka.

I can't give you too much advice on a pattern for everything. I'd be tempted to go with multicam or something like the Sitka pattern, as it seems pretty versatile. And that's another very recent advancement that you won't find on older garments. When the US government needed new camo uniforms for the military, they wanted ONE pattern for everything instead of several patterns. Hunters are benefitting from that, so you no longer need to have the same stuff in several different patterns unless you just want to. I don't have that kind of money...

Finally, get the largest size they make so you'll have room for plenty of insulating layers underneath, even if that means placing a special order and waiting a while for it to show up.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'd say my priority is to be warm when stationary. What I've don't for elk in the past is pack my coat in then put it on in the stand (carhartt by the way). I'd say that the shell is definitely a need because my current hunting jacket is more of a middle layer and not entirely waterproof. I'd like something warmer than just a rain jacket though. I've been looking at Firstlight and like the sanctuary jacket except the price.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I think you're missing my point.

Even if you want to be warm while stationary, it's still not a good idea to expect one piece of clothing to handle it. If you read what the Firstlight website says about the Sanctuary jacket that you mentioned, the very first line talks about it being part of a layering system.

Your current jacket will be a lot warmer if you put a good shell over it, plus it will keep you dry.

Which Carhartt are you using?

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I understand layering. The sanctuary jacket was what I was looking at before seeking advice on here.
Right now I have both the heavy classic Carhartt and the hooded lighter one. Both with the canvas exterior and quilted interior.
Do you are suggesting a shell type jacket?
Is that basically a rain jacket type exterior with a sort of insulation inside it but is intended to be worn with a insulation heavy mid layer that is not water/wind proof?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Firstlight looks to be a very nice jacket and it sounds like it'll do most of what you want. I bet you can get it for less than $400 if you can wait for a sale. It's water resistant, not waterproof but IMO that's a good thing; I want my waterproof shell to be separate from my insulating layer so that I'm not wearing the shell all the time. The one I use as my "warm jacket" has been a puffy jacket made by Mountain Hardware, the Chugach but they don't make it any more. It's not as nice as the firstlight though.

PS, here's a little unsolicited advice related to this:

What I've don't for elk in the past is pack my coat in then put it on in the stand (carhartt by the way). .

I'd be willing to bet you grew up hunting whitetails. Hunting "on-stand" is a good strategy for whitetails but rarely is for elk on public land. When I moved to CO it took me a couple years to figure that out, and to figure out that my success rate went up exponentially once I stopped hunting stationary and started moving until I found animals. Sneaking within range of elk and getting a good shot opportunity out west is much much easier than sneaking within range of whitetails back east. The footing is much quieter and the animals are not as paranoid. Plus, elk move around to different areas at the drop of a hat or for no reason you can discern. You can be hunting over really heavy sign but the animals have moved out. So the heavy jacket is almost always in my pack and I'm normally wearing much more svelte layers for 95% of my hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a couple of ways you could go with it: A warm jacket you can wear for 25 years and stay warm in, and a newer-technology jacket that is great for hiking around, water-resistant, versatile.

Good quality wool will keep you warm, is very durable, breathes well, is water-resistant, insulates when wet. It's also heavy and bulky.

Something like the Kuiu Guide jacket is fairly warm, water-resistant, very functional and versatile, lightweight and pack-able, but won't last nearly as long as a good wool coat. I certainly wouldn't expect 25 years out of it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So here's what I think I'm hearing.
Buy good puffy insulated and warm mid layer. May just keeping current mid layer non waterproof hunting coat.
Buy good shell jacket that is waterproof but certainly separate from insulated mid layer.
Does anyone have specific examples of jackets for each category or pictures?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no 1 for all jacket. There are just too many variables. I have a hooded fleece uninsulated waterproof shell that comes as close as anything. In warmer weather, I wear it over a shirt. As it gets colder, I add whatever is needed under it. It's kind of baggy so I can get a lot on under it. The hood is removable so I use it as needed. When it's really cold, the hood wraps around my face and is a great windbreaker.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
One jacket is tough. IMHO there really isn't a silver bullet... different tools are meant for different situations. Looks like your on the right track for layering.

I hunt elk in September, Whitetails in Nov, and coyotes through Feb. Most of the hunting is on the move. I like having a nice base layer (wool), an optional insulation layer, an outer shell jacket (currently Skre hardscrabble), then something waterproof in the pack. Took me a number of years to feel I got it right, and weather still makes me wonder if I need something different. Overall I prefer light gear as many miles are covered each season.

Sitting in a blind ambushing whitetails and waterfowl in the midwest's weather is much different than finding and stalking deer and elk out West. Out here gear requirements can change if your hunting plans change by a couple weeks or a few thousand feet elevation. The one item I always use is wool base layers. I suggest starting there.
Good luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There is no 1 for all jacket. There are just too many variables. I have a hooded fleece uninsulated waterproof shell that comes as close as anything. In warmer weather, I wear it over a shirt. As it gets colder, I add whatever is needed under it. It's kind of baggy so I can get a lot on under it. The hood is removable so I use it as needed. When it's really cold, the hood wraps around my face and is a great windbreaker.

I agree with the layering you guys are suggesting. I also have a thin waterproof jacket that is folded up and in my pack most of the time, until it starts getting colder or starts raining or snowing while elk hunting. I like a thinner jacket like this that I can wear about 1/2 the time I'm out actually hunting elk, the other half the time, it's packed away in the pack.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at garments that are made out of Schoeller Textile fabrics. Kryptek Altitude products come to mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you certainly asked a great question and to a *very* knowledgeable and experienced pool of elk hunters and outdoorsmen.

Not to be argumentative with 22WRF, but I've not had good experience with the Schoeller "soft shell" fabrics/garments. I tried 'em when the y first came out in climbing/mountaineering garments. My experience was they did not keep melting snow from soaking me nor did they "wick" away or breathe enough to keep incidental perspiration from soaking my base layer.... Maybe they've improved over the years..?

You have good taste - that Firstlight jacket does look very good - depending, of course, on atmospherics.

A large, fail-safe shell jacket/parka and pants are a must (I have a Cabela's "Guide-Wear" and it's the closest thing to my old North Face "Guide Jacket" like Okie mentioned - it was good for what it was). For shell pants, i picked up some British "g-tex" mil-surp for cheap and it is nothing short of awesome (fully water and snow-melt proof!).

An insulated mid-layer is also important and for that i've gravitated back to wool. I love my wool vest coupled with breathable base layer long-sleeve T-shirts (again, depending on temps/wind/activity). When it's colder, i have a few select 100% wool sweaters that have been amazing on my forays into the mountains. Good quality, Irish 100% wool sweaters can be sourced on eBay. You can spend anywhere from $35 for a "previously owned" (I have several like this that look like new) or $200-$300 (or more...).

There are some amazing options available these days which requires a disciplined, bias-free reflection on your actual, anticipated needs.

Enjoy the search!!!

A
A
swazi they just work great

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What works in alaska usually won't work in texas so remember the laying part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree with the layering you guys are suggesting. I also have a thin waterproof jacket that is folded up and in my pack most of the time, until it starts getting colder or starts raining or snowing while elk hunting. I like a thinner jacket like this that I can wear about 1/2 the time I'm out actually hunting elk, the other half the time, it's packed away in the pack.
My parka isn't thin. I wear it when I know I'll need it all day because its too bulky to stuff in a pack. What I pack are the layers under it. Mine is heavy fleece with a liner and a waterproof layer between them.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Dick at Owl Creek cropped lr.jpg (78.88 KB, 14 downloads)

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Does anyone have specify recommendations for a shell type jacket?
Right now I'm thinking I'll keep my current jacket as my insulative layer but add a waterproof shell on top for those days when the weather is really bad.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Westcomb makes nice stuff but you'll need to look for sales to get a good price. The Marmot Precip is a less expensive alternative.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Your biggest problem will be that most likely you will not be the same size 20 years from now as you are today, trust me. When I got out of high school I was 158 lbs and had a 30" waist, I will not tell you my size now.

Something like a Cabelas 7 in 1 ( 5 in 1) type jacket with a zip out insulated inner jacket with weather proof shell will give you a lot of versatility until you out grow it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd avoid anything synthetic. As good as Kuiu, Sitka and some of the other companies are, they work until they don't....which IME isn't very long with normal usage.

You really may want to look into Filson. Their double Mackinaw Cruiser is simply awesome, but too heavy if you're hiking around all day and not real good for the layering theory. If you did go this route, you may just want to strap it to the outside of your pack when hiking a lot. It'll certainly last 25+ years, assuming you don't put it in a hot air dryer. If you're just wanting an outer shell, one of Filson's tin cloth jackets may be worth looking into.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shifty,

If you tell us your size and weight and such, most likely someone here has an older but good jacket in their closet that they would give you or sell cheaply.

You need a 3-part system:
1) undergarments next to skin
2) insulation garments
3) outer shell

Go with merino wool undergarments, as they are the most comfortable, work great, and won't STINK.

Go with synthetic down and fleece as insulation. Especially, get yourself a synthetic down vest or two. Vests keep you warm without restricting blood flow through your elbows, which makes your hands cold.

For cheaper-priced shells, check Sierra Trading Post closeouts. Marmot Precip (or any eVent fabric) is a good value.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am 6' 0" 155 #. Usually wear medium but wear some larges so I might be looking for a large to fit for more years.
I already have a pretty good rainjacket (REI bike rain jacket). So in that case should I use that as my shell and get an excellent imsulative layer to go under that? Also note the rain jacket is hunting orange, not sure if this makes it better or worse for hunting. I'm trying to post some pictures of what I have to give you guys a better idea. I am definitely on board though with getting a shell and an insulation layer to save costs and allow for better versatility.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here are my jackets.
The camo one is my go to. It has waterproofing on shoulders but fleece in back and some reflective stuff on the inside.
The other is my rain jacket.

Attached Images
IMG_3829.JPG (37.43 KB, 59 downloads)
IMG_3828.JPG (44.83 KB, 49 downloads)
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I understand layering. The sanctuary jacket was what I was looking at before seeking advice on here.
Right now I have both the heavy classic Carhartt and the hooded lighter one. Both with the canvas exterior and quilted interior.
Do you are suggesting a shell type jacket?
Is that basically a rain jacket type exterior with a sort of insulation inside it but is intended to be worn with a insulation heavy mid layer that is not water/wind proof?

I think we've found our problem: a cotton canvas jacket. In the mountains, we say, "Cotton kills." It absorbs water instead of letting it evaporate or wicking it away from your skin. Then the water gets cold, then you get cold. Get a down jacket for your insulating layer. You'll be astonished at the difference it makes. Even a cheap department-store one will do a good job, and you should be able to find one for under $100 this time of year. Get a thick one, not one of the little thin ones that soccer moms wear to drive their minivans. It won't weigh much, and you'll be able to roll it up in to a little ball in your pack.

I am NOT a big fan of Filson gear. It's OK for wearing to work and stuff like that, but it's literally 19th century technology and there are far better choices. I live in Seattle and I drive past their store on my way to work every day. My hunting partners and I hunted in Filson for close to 10 years and we've stopped. The wool stuff is very heavy, even when it's dry. It gets heavier when it's wet, and takes forever to dry. Tin Cloth is also heavy, plus it's noisy and does not breathe. It's OK if you're sitting still, but as soon as you start to move and sweat a little, you're gonna get wet and stay wet. We now use GoreTex shells with fleece insulation for wet weather and down insulation for dry cold weather. If I hunt from a boat and can take a ton of heavy stuff, then I'll bring a wool Filson for sitting around the fire at night, but any serious hunting happens in fleece, down, and/or GoreTex.

I'd avoid the REI jacket with the reflective stuff for hunting. PM me your address and I'll send you my old North Face Guide's Jacket. It will be a big step in the right direction for you.

Okie John

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd agree with most of that except the down insulation part. Down loses its insulation capacity when it gets wet, I'd go with a good synthetic fill.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd agree with most of that except the down insulation part. Down loses its insulation capacity when it gets wet, I'd go with a good synthetic fill.

Good point.

Okie John

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
There is no one jacket to cover your hunting needs in diverse conditions. I had a wonderful brown plaid Woolrich heavy wool jacket i used for many years until it got accidently washed in hot water and shrank. cry

I could wear it in light cold rain, layer under in bad cold, stalk through wet brush, killed stuff from winter quail in south texas to moose in BC.

This would be good but the dry plus wont last 20 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-Outfitters-Wool-Parka-Windshear-Dry-Plus-Hunting-Outfitter-Camo-Brown-/311315359296?var=&hash=item487bd76640:m:mtT8lgAg7CqqQgpJ7BpvLnQ

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Pendleton wool cruiser

https://img0.etsystatic.com/008/0/5700156/il_570xN.395146862_a3vc.jpgp

Use Event jacket over in rain and a synthetic or down jacket under when sitting in cold weather.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/02/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are like most of us, no way will you be able to wear the same size jacket ten years after college.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shifty, I would recommend a parka length rather than a jacket, I can't handle that cold wind going up my spine when I bend over.

Breathable "goretex or equivalent" waterproofing is a must have for me.

A quiet fabric, the kind of collar that zips all the way up wrapping around the neck, and a detachable hood, lots of pockets inside, and two big pockets as well as hand warmer pockets on the exterior. Draw chords that can be adjusted for a loose or tight fit around the hem.

How to handle thermal swings in weather, and versatile styles of one parka hunting:
Don't buy to fit, think in terms of LOOSE for the parka and about 200 grams of insulation. You need it to fit loose so you can wear layers of fleece jackets and vests under the parka. This will work for being in a stationary whitetail blind in sub zero Alberta in late November. For warmer weather or more active hunting and climbling you don't need as many layers or if it warms during mid day, you can put your parka in or tied to the back pack and just wear one of your fleece jackets.
Cabela's has some pretty good parkas'
Happy Hunting

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've been doing some more research and am looking very seriously at the Browning Wicked Wing 4 in 1 Parka. It is pictured here. It has some pretty impressive insulation layer and also a nice shell. Thoughts? I'm looking more in the 3in1 Parka direction right now to have a bit more versatility.

Attached Images
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Shop the sales. Ihave a primalot hooded jacket and a PL vest that fit in a small drysack and combine well. Marmot Precip jacket and full side zip pants can be found for $60.00 each. You should be able to assemble a very functional system from base layer to waterproof shell for close to $400.00. With the money you save buy really good boots. If you are going to be static for long periods of time a good hooded down jacket under your shell will allow you to glass/call for hours. I hunt predators in Idaho during the winter and this system serves me well. Camo is an expensive indulgence.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Get that Browning you pictured and you will be completely satisfied for your price and what you want from your gear.

Don't worry about what all the advice is, it will work some places and not others. Browning has a warranty and in 4 years you will still be glad you got it.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Camo is an expensive indulgence.
Very true. It doesn't help the hunting in most cases but it's the fad and we pay for it. Some of my hunting gear I'd like to use for other purposes but it's not available in colors other than camo. I can't see me taking the wife out to a nice restaurant in my dressy camo coat.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My thoughts are much the same as what has been posted.
One single jacket for all you are doing is a tall order.

Waterfowl hunting is usually some of the coldest hunting you can do. Usually you are losing heat the whole time and not generating any. There are layered systems from Drake and Beretta that include shell layers and very warm (but bulky) layers.

For big game the layered systems that come to mind are the ones from Sitka and KUIU. They provide nice mobility, not nearly as bulky, very quiet. Usually hunting big game you are moving to some extent and generating at least some warmth. Even at very high altitude a wind shell seems more helpful than a super thick insulating layer. A lotta times if I'm moving the jacket ends up becoming unneeded weight in my pack.
The exception to the rule is on those occasions when I'm planning to sit in one location for an extended period I've learned to bring way more warmth than seems necessary.

I've seen some nice things from Browning for all types of hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lotta times if I'm moving the jacket ends up becoming unneeded weight in my pack.
That's true, however...this is assuming you can keep moving. A sprained ankle in a cold place will require a warm jacket in your pack if you hope to get home. A puffy jacket, either down or synthetic, doesn't add much weight and will compact a lot. it's good insurance.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the idea that nobody fits into the same coat 20+ years after graduation.
+1 on layering
+1 on Cotton Kills-- although I use canvas when I'm around camp. It's cheap and if it gets a spark from the campfire it does not usually burn like synthetics.
+1 on no 1 coat does it

My system for this sort of thing is layering with a poly-pro base and a wool sweater. Beyond that, I stay flexible. I may add a synthetic vest or a down vest, or a poly pro jacket. When it rains I put an uninsulated Goretex rain jacket over all of it-- ordered 2 sizes to big to handle all the extra bulk underneath. I also have a freezer suit for long sits in low temps. I worked in a frozen cheesburger factory years ago. I can drive with the windows down in -10F.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lotta times if I'm moving the jacket ends up becoming unneeded weight in my pack.
That's true, however...this is assuming you can keep moving. A sprained ankle in a cold place will require a warm jacket in your pack if you hope to get home. A puffy jacket, either down or synthetic, doesn't add much weight and will compact a lot. it's good insurance.

It will also add one additional round trip when you are packing meat and must choose between a quarter or an unused jacket.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have the right puffy jacket and a stuff sack, it'll equal about one backstrap in volume. It's a personal choice of course, just like a windproof waterproof shell is.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I cannot remember a single time being warm in the blind and this is my major gripe about hunting.

I cannot remember a single time being cold in the blind........since I bought my Browning 4 in 1 Parka in 1998. Found out by accident that it was the original Duck Commander clothing by Browning before any of us knew of Duck Commander & Phil Robertson.

I have worn it as the shell without the down lining & with. I have stayed dry in every incident. I have been warm always down to 15°. I even fell in the water while duck hunting & still stayed warm for the hunt.

I was able to buy another as a backup a few years ago. I would expect Browning's current clothing line to be of equal stamina & quality.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been doing some more research and am looking very seriously at the Browning Wicked Wing 4 in 1 Parka.

If it's anywhere close to the quality of mine mentioned in my previous post IT WILL be a "rest of your life" purchase..

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have the right puffy jacket and a stuff sack, it'll equal about one backstrap in volume. It's a personal choice of course, just like a windproof waterproof shell is.

Oh sure, very true. I think that is more true of the down than of the synthetic.
Personally, the down hunting jackets I have of that type run $400-$500 and I am resistant to compressing them into a tiny sack because they don't ever quite return to their former selves.
On most hunts I am actually hoping for bad weather and for a legit reason to bring some extra layering along - usually doesn't happen.
I think situational awareness is extremely important to calculating your own reasonable altitude and mileage. If you are lucky enough for some colder weather and have the gear for it you may find less need to extend your range and the hunt may, to some extent, come to you. The lightest, cheapest, most frequently used feature I've had on any apparel is a hoodie on a pile or mid-layer.
In the photo below the options for moving became very limited (couldn't go high and dangerous to go too far) but that did not eliminate the hunting opportunities. A little later that day the weather lifted to some extent and the fella on the left killed a cow.
[Linked Image]

If I'm planning on spraining an ankle then I'm bringing a SAM splint, extra surgical tape, portable shelter, water pump, food, and so on. For a calamity other than an ankle someone might need even more stuff, but a certain level of confidence in ones ability goes a long way. I actually have had the experience of breaking a bone in my ankle while climbing alone and I found the most valuable apparel in that situation was a high boot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alamosa

It will also add one additional round trip when you are packing meat and must choose between a quarter or an unused jacket.
A down jacket will weigh under a lb. That's going to add another trip? You're guaranteed to not slip and sprain an ankle while you have 60lb of meat on your back? You're more apt to get hurt while carrying a load than when not. If it's 20 and blowing, you darn well better have that tiny 10 oz. jacket on top of your pack.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alamosa

A down jacket will weigh under a lb. That's going to add another trip? You're guaranteed to not slip and sprain an ankle while you have 60lb of meat on your back? You're more apt to get hurt while carrying a load than when not. If it's 20 and blowing, you darn well better have that tiny 10 oz. jacket on top of your pack.

If it is 20 and blowing that did not occur instantly. If you can't read the possibilities of that days conditions, and furthermore ignore the available forecasts, then take it a step further by not keeping a reasonable distance from camp if weather does begin to turn, then by all means carry all the stuff with you that you want each and every day.
A certain amount of awareness of the environment and situation goes a long way toward proper preparation.
Personally, I certainly have those extra layers along and available in a bag containing gear for inclement weather. Some years (not many) I have actually even used it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting discussion. There are lots of different things that can happen where you'd need to spend a cold night out. Maybe you're chasing a wounded bull cross-country on a moonless night, it turns dark, and your headlamp's not working.

I like to hunt solo. I've never had to spend a night away from camp but there's always a first time. The weight and volume of a puffy jacket is something I'm willing to carry.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting discussion. There are lots of different things that can happen where you'd need to spend a cold night out. Maybe you're chasing a wounded bull cross-country on a moonless night, it turns dark, and your headlamp's not working.

I like to hunt solo. I've never had to spend a night away from camp but there's always a first time. The weight and volume of a puffy jacket is something I'm willing to carry.

I tend to hunt solo too ( even more so today 'cause like Rock Chuck my hunting partners have faded away). And like you I tend to pack my daypack for a unintended night outside....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One more observation for the OP and that is, if you noticed, not many of the experienced elk hunters have talked about needing to stay warm in a blind or while sitting for long periods and there's a reason for that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

These days I very rarely carry the puffy jacket, but for many years, on many hunts I did.
Nothing feels better than down when setting foot on a frosty morning in the dark. I find that comfort lasts about 10 minutes, I get overheated, and then for the rest of the hunt my pack is stuffed full and my visual appearance seems to have doubled in size.
The times when I still would wear down are times when I don't expect the temp to get much above freezing or if I've found some feature where I plan to sit still for a long period. I nearly always would then.
The idea of a 10 oz jacket that compresses into an unnoticed size but still provides warmth suitable for a night afield - I just haven't seen that. My downs are all heavier and bulkier than that and too expensive for that king of compression without a good reason to do so (I've got 3 - a Beretta, a Browning, and a Chinese mountaineering jacket, and none of those were less than $400).
That is not intended to sound like I hike way on the light side because I don't feel I do - it's just different. These days I plan for a change after the first several miles, after I've separated from roads and hunters, and after I've began to sweat. At that point when things change from hiking to hunting I'll strip off a stinky sweaty long sleeved base layer hoodie, seal it in a gallon ziplock, wash off my sweat, and change to a clean dry base layer that I had removed from that bag. I feel like that keeps my pack lighter and better reduces my odor. If I get into trouble later that day the contents of that bag are still available as an extra layer. I use some other layers of course. The next heaviest thing that I have to down is a Sitka windstopper pile that is very warm - usually too warm - and it tends to be another garment that is a little too much for the typical weather here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll ask a question here that if it gets many responses might give you some food for thought.

How many here can still wear their HS letter jacket?

I can get mine on but I wouldn't wear it any where as it's about 2 sizes too small. I can however still wear jackets Ive had since my early 30s IOW don't be surprised if you fill out quite a bit in your early to late 20s.

Last edited by bangeye; 07/13/17.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I usually wear a medium but I'm looking to buy a large because of both layers underneath and to allow for some growth later.
As a side note my Dad can still fit in his FFA jacket from high school. It isn't ideally fitting but he wears it around the house occasionally to remind himself he can.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Two of my fav cold weather coats

Lt. Chippewa mills Mack at least 50 y o

Rt. M1938 USGI Mack or Jeep coat (mfg 1944).

[Linked Image]

Both size 44

The Chippewa is my "Lucky" elk coat! 😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/16/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree with what others have said. I use heavy 3 in 1 jackets from Columbia and Cabelas for stand and waterfowl hunting but for Elk it is layering all the way.

Outer wool or rain/wind soft shell then light weight down or synthetic hooded sweater or parka then down vest and wool shirt or hoodie and maybe a base layer if it is really cold.
Worst case all the outer wear can be rolled up and go on the outside straps of the pack. I believe in being prepared for the worst case but with a good fire you could stay over in pretty cold conditions. I also like that leaving room in the pack for the layering keeps me from loading it down with other stuff too much.

The few times I wore one of the heavy 3 in 1 jackets it was an absolute pleasure for about 30 minutes and then the first hill I could not get out of it fast enough.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/17/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will say eBay can be your friend . I just bought a LL Bean wool cruiser with a quilted nylon lining that was like new for $25. Dry cleaned it for $8 and I doubt I'll never wear it out.

Last edited by bangeye; 07/16/17.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So here's what I think I'm hearing.
Buy good puffy insulated and warm mid layer. May just keeping current mid layer non waterproof hunting coat.
Buy good shell jacket that is waterproof but certainly separate from insulated mid layer.
Does anyone have specific examples of jackets for each category or pictures?

You are on the right track, IMO.

I wear M, but over 12 years ago bought a Sportsman's Warehouse "Mad Dog"?? "breathable-waterproof" jacket or light parka in L (going on a 18 mile in back pack hunt- needed something to carry the Dachshund in as needed.... smile . I've found this kind of stuff is best used in light conditions, stationery, for a wind guard, or below freezing conditions.

In wet, nasty-windy conditions, I wear real, non-breathable rain gear. You are going to get wet either way, so you might as well be warm and wet, with a less heavy (once wet) outer layer.

Be advised "breathable" rain gear has not met the hype for harsh or prolonged conditions in my experience, and it takes considerable care to make it even close. After every washing, one needs to renew the outer "water-proofing". by Scotchgarding or similar, which will theoretically keep outside moisture from reaching the "vapor" membrane, which does pass water in both directions. And under moderate or heavy exertion, the "breathable" can't keep up. I haven't tried the renewal washing formulas, so can't comment if those work as advertised. Breathable stuff has it's place tho.

My L sized light parka is a little sloppy when worn alone, but I can and do layer underneath it with down or synthetic jackets, of different weights, and/or insulated coveralls respective to anticipated conditions. Has lots of pockets, tho, and that is helpful. I wear it a lot, down to somewhat below zero conditions on the snow machine, with an even older Cabelas down jacket underneath, with possibly insulated coveralls even under that, depending on wind and temp. If I kill, I can peel layers for the dressing out or other exertion.

The down jacket packs up small if I don't need it, but loses insulating value if wet, so mostly I wear that combination in below freezing conditions, substituting synthetic fleece in above freezing, wetter conditions which are not too severe.

As to camo, as said. Only birds and fish see colors, besides humans (and maybe other primates?). Mine is most useful to designate hunting-only, scent and UV killed clothing. Motion, sound, and scent are more important, and if you can break up your outline behind or in front of a bush, rock, or tree, camo becomes superfluous. Often even without breaking up the outline, if one is motionless, quiet, and down or cross-wind, the animal just won't twig.

Last edited by las; 07/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I wear the same sizes at 69 (coming up in 6 weeks), that I did at 19, except in pants an inch longer inseam (wife's insistence) and waist (upgraded to in my mid 30's). 31/31, if you must know.

My wife wants me to put on a little weight, but I think that's just jealousy..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So a little background.
I just graduated high school and will be going to college in the fall and I want to buy a good hunting jacket that will last me 15-20 years. I am willing to spend some money (up to $400) (looking to invest with some of my graduation money) but also want to be reasonable. I live in Indiana but only God knows where I could be living 10 years from now. I cannot remember a single time being warm in the blind and this is my major gripe about hunting. I understand no jacket is perfect but I want something durable and versatile to last me many years. I hunt deer, duck/geese, and pheasant pretty much every year. I also usually elk hunt every 4 years in CO and am going this fall which is why I posted here.

Again I'd like to hear from guys who have had their jacket for 5+ years and have been overly satisfied. Also warranty is a must.

Thanks in advance!

Started big game hunting (Colorado elk) in 1982. Wore a blue jean coat with a sweatshirt underneath. Still do at times. Although I now have multiple camo coats in various weights, the one I use most often is a lightweight, quiet, water-resistant cover over a blue jean coat over a sweatshirt. As the day warms I peel layers. When antelope hunting the weather might be in the 30's or high 90's. I dress appropriately.

Never owned a $250 coat, let alone one that costs $400.

Good luck on a one-coat-for-all-purposes coat.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Thanks in advance!

I have hunted deer alone at -30 F and as warm as 80 degrees. One jacket is not a possibility. Some of my warm stuff is a real bitch to get dry if I spend a day out in cold weather getting wet.

Advice:

Get a really warm hat. An alpaca fur (hide on) bomber hat is the best I have found, but I can often make do with a rabbit fur (hide on) bomber. Absolute minimum for cold weather is a fiber/rabbit fur hat. Always keep uppermost in mind that you can take it off or you can substitute a less warm option like a stocking hat or a baseball cap. A good synthetic long sleeved pull over shirt in blaze orange works fine in warm weather and can be really warm under a decent parka. 1200-1400 gram thinsulate muck type boots can be augmented with the little toe warmers and get your feet through very cold conditions. Good warm bibs are a must as long as they provide enough side zipper length to get them off and on in a deer stand. If you have to walk any distance to a deer stand even in -30 weather you can overheat in a hurry. Being able to get in and out of your warm clothing is mandatory. I almost never wear anything heavier than brown jersey gloves no matter how cold it gets. I do however keep hand warmers in slash pockets or a good insulated pocket that is easily accessible. I will carry some very big, very insulated mittens and when appropriate shift my hands in the jersey gloves and the hand warmers into them. Staying warm in extreme conditions is easy. Stay dry, provide plenty of insulation and use hand/toe warmers appropriately. Neglect any part of your body and things can go south in a big hurry which can cause permanent damage.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Woolrich jacket.The old black and red plaid. It is going on 50 + years old.Probably the younger techies,don't even know about them. It is still great and warm, and almost water proof,but kinda heavy when it is wet. it had gone thru a zipper that I had replaced and added elbow patches as reinforcement.
I hate today's jackets/coats,They all have plastic zippers that might last two years and everything has velcro on it that makes too much noise for me

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Go to a army surplus store! Get the new issue gear, base, mid-weight, and heavyweight! Hard to beat the cost! The new gear is as good as commercial made gear! Or join up and the government will issue good gear to you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
There are a couple of ways you could go with it: A warm jacket you can wear for 25 years and stay warm in, and a newer-technology jacket that is great for hiking around, water-resistant, versatile.

Good quality wool will keep you warm, is very durable, breathes well, is water-resistant, insulates when wet. It's also heavy and bulky.

Something like the Kuiu Guide jacket is fairly warm, water-resistant, very functional and versatile, lightweight and pack-able, but won't last nearly as long as a good wool coat. I certainly wouldn't expect 25 years out of it.

Absolutely! I picked up the Kuiu shell jacket during one of their sales, got it a size or two larger, and it is absolutely waterproof and extremely light weight. Beneath that I also can wear everything from a flannel or safari-type shirt to a sweat shirt to a full Filson wool jacket or even down if one prefers. The camp pattern is superb too.

The Filson jacket will last forever (assuming that you do not grow out of it) but the Kuiu stuff of special waterproof fabric will wear out. It is a relatively new proprietary fabric made by Toray in Japan. Nonetheless, it is worth every penny while it lasts even though it won't take really rough, Alaskan-type working through the alders and brambles.

I used the Kuiu jacket in three days of rain last weekend in New Mexico camping, and it was perfect for that even though I stayed mostly around the campfire trading stories. At my age, that was fine. grin

Last edited by Anjin; 08/06/17.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One jacket, that's tough for all conditions you might encounter in the next fifteen years. Also, if you think you will be the same size for the next 15-20, you might be in for a surprise .ebay is your friend, change as circumstances dictate.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
So a little background.

Thanks in advance!

Just my observations BUT most people can not fit in the jacket they bought at age 18 when they are 30, even my buddies that run and keep fit are bigger in the shoulders than at 18.

Some of us are bigger south of there. smile

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to be warm, check out the Filson Double Mac, there's nothing better, I cannot recommend it highly enough. If that is too warm for you, Filson has many other offerings.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/13/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cabela's Wooltimate jacket with 4Most windshear lining is a favorite of mine. It handles light rain but I do carry a lightweight rain jacket for heavier rain. With merino wool base layer and a second layer, it keeps me warm. I have an old red and green plaid Woolrich jacket with sherpa lining that probably could be used for hunting, but it is a bit heavy.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So I finally pulled the trigger so I figured I'd fill you all in. I ended up buying a Browning Hells Canyon Parka. They were on Sierra Trading for $150 (normally $300) so I thought that was a good deal. It is a decent puffy on the inside and then a shell that zip together. I think this will do me ok for now and then in a couple years I can figure out what I need.
The day after I pulled the trigger I found a guy selling a bunch of filson gear on here, all in my size and while it killed me to spend that much money on stuff at once I knew is was going to be totally worth it so now I have the Browning Parka, a Tin Cloth Jacket, Tin Cloth Pants, Waterfowl Sweater and some other stuff so I think I'm set for a while as far as clothing goes now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on you to pull the trigger and not agonize forever on what to buy.

A couple of accessories to consider...

Besides a fleece stocking cap (toque) the single item that will give you more warmth for its minimum bulk and weight ratio is a fleece neck gaiter with a flap down the front and back. I have cut the sides of a long tube neck gaiter to achieve the flaps, which came standard on my favorite Turtle Fur neck gaiter. You can pull it up over your ears to meet the toque, take it off when hiking and getting too warm, put it back on when you stop. It will allow you to wear your current system comfortably in considerably colder temps than you can without it. With the hood of your outer parka over neck gaiter and toque, you can handle some pretty deep cold. Loose clothes a little on the too big size are better than snug, and allow you to add additional layers.

Another item I LOVE is a pair of wristlets made of thin fleece Turtle fur. They are merely a tube with a thumb hole. The tube extends from the base of your fingers past your wrist and well up your forearm, and the fleece is thin enough to wear a mitten or glove over it. It leaves your fingers totally free. It would be easy to make this item though I never have.

If you can keep your wrists warm your hands stay warm much easier. Ditto for neck and top of head to keep your whole body warm, including feet, though that is old, old news I'm sure you know.

Five years is a long time for my outer shell to hold up well. I sleep in them in the bush, sometimes without sleeping bag, wad them into a day pack, chafe them with pack straps or a quarter of meat on my shoulder, bust brush while wearing them, sometimes bust brush loaded with snow, and often wear them through wet brush and wear them while they are drenched all day. My outer shell takes some abuse. About five years or so is when I buy new and relegate my experienced jacket to town use or give it to my daughter who loves it for suburban shopping and kid soccer games. The jacket usually still looks pretty good but is not up to wilderness performance.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If it's got to last than your tin cloth is about good as it gets. It doesn't do an lot of things well, but I consider my tin garments as an wearable shelter system that will take a beating and hold up to abrasion. All they need is an waxing from time to time. If you need insulation than underlayers can be worn.

My Filson tin jacket has an zippered wool vest in it that can be taken out if wanted

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
SwanDri, known as a "Swanny"

Aussies and Kiwi's have been using them in bad weather and snow for a very long time.
Mine are 30 years old and look like new.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Columbia Quad. Has a reflective heat layer in the waterproof, breathable shell and the synthetic down liner. Can also use a fleece liner with it too. It's been my "go to" for over 30 years. I broke down and bought the new technology 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I duck and goose hunt a lot - late season here is cold and icy - I can honestly say I've never been cold or wet with that new system. Elk hunted last year in a near blizzard and -5* temps - I was good to go. Wear it in many different combinations depending on the weather. Plus, it's guaranteed for LIFE. I sent mine back after 20 years and they replaced it no questions asked. Good stuff.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't wear a jacket when hunting, beside the zip-up hoodie in hunter orange. Beneath that, I layer. Sometimes it has been so cold that I've had six layers on top and three on bottom. Jackets don't make sense. I traverse mountains, then sit there for hours. It can be 60 or -20 degrees, and sometimes those two extremes are a day apart.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This is the system my dad and uncle have that I was trying to emulate. I looked long and hard at it but figured it would end up being like $600 which is a lot for me right now. Maybe when I graduate from college and have some more money though.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Columbia Quad. Has a reflective heat layer in the waterproof, breathable shell and the synthetic down liner. Can also use a fleece liner with it too. It's been my "go to" for over 30 years. I broke down and bought the new technology 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I duck and goose hunt a lot - late season here is cold and icy - I can honestly say I've never been cold or wet with that new system. Elk hunted last year in a near blizzard and -5* temps - I was good to go. Wear it in many different combinations depending on the weather. Plus, it's guaranteed for LIFE. I sent mine back after 20 years and they replaced it no questions asked. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.