Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Heck, if you're gonna shoot a 460, you might as well move on up to the 50 BMG!
laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ken,

I cut some material off my MkV bolt knob, the part that hit my finger when shooting off the bench. I cold blued it; it works and looks great. You can't see any difference from the side.

If PB hadn't gone bunkers, I'd post a picture. The round part of the bolt knob that used to touch my finger is now flat, giving a quarter inch of so more clearance, bolt knob/finger.

That wouldn't be a bad idea on a big boomer like yours.

DF

Ken,

I looked for this photo on my hard drive. Didn't find it, downloaded it to my computer from PB, uploaded it on Imgur and downloaded it here. It's been around...

This is how I modified my MkV. Works great.

DF

http://imgur.com/a/292BE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I tried to get it to do that.

What did I miss?

New to this Imgur stuff.

DF

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sorry to disagree with some of the boys, trying for Thor's hammer on a elephant, bullying up on heavy bullets ain't gonna get the job done. At this point in horsepower you have to increase frontal diameter. I have been there, done that. A 458 Win with a 400 gr solid humming along is gonna hit HARD! Now not as hard as a 600 gr, but all this is semantics. You wanna crush a jumbo?, well DIAMETER in conjunction with weight of a premium bullet is what gets it done. I've have seen 458 mag vs Lott vs 460 Weatherby and they were so damn close(except on the shooters shoulder) to not make much of a difference. I got myself a Searcy 500 nitro DB because I wanted a true dinosaur crusher that wasn't gonna crush my shoulder. And honestly, the 500 with slower velocity and weaker Foot pounds I feel was a better ele gun.yeah I want a 460 Weatherby. Shoot rabbits or boulders. I would never even want to shoot the 416 Weatherby. A nightmare. Heard the 378 is a beast as well.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
DF,paid $2100 for the rifle and I'm not about to mess with the bolt knob. wink

Besides,the bolt knob is checkered,as this is a Weatherby Custom.

If I keep the velocity @ 2300 or less the bolt does not hit my finger.
I would just go to the feed store and get a new pair of deerskin work gloves. Cut about 1/2" or 3/4" off of the index finger--enough to allow full contact of the last joint of your index finger on the trigger.

Ben,I tried a weightlifters glove when shooting the .460. When shooting factory ammo,it did not help at all. Don't wear a glove now because it's slow down enough where it does not hit my finger. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Zengela
Sorry to disagree with some of the boys, trying for Thor's hammer on a elephant, bullying up on heavy bullets ain't gonna get the job done. At this point in horsepower you have to increase frontal diameter. I have been there, done that. A 458 Win with a 400 gr solid humming along is gonna hit HARD! Now not as hard as a 600 gr, but all this is semantics. You wanna crush a jumbo?, well DIAMETER in conjunction with weight of a premium bullet is what gets it done. I've have seen 458 mag vs Lott vs 460 Weatherby and they were so damn close(except on the shooters shoulder) to not make much of a difference. I got myself a Searcy 500 nitro DB because I wanted a true dinosaur crusher that wasn't gonna crush my shoulder. And honestly, the 500 with slower velocity and weaker Foot pounds I feel was a better ele gun.yeah I want a 460 Weatherby. Shoot rabbits or boulders. I would never even want to shoot the 416 Weatherby. A nightmare. Heard the 378 is a beast as well.
A .416 Wby can be loaded to equal the .416 Rigby,since the Wby is a Rigby case with a belt and different shoulder.

Will shoot a .378 Wby..... once or maybe twice. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You left out the image tags.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Me just being me, I would love to own a 416 Rigby. The 416 Weatherby, ehh, nah.. And the 416 Rem? Well that's like your ugly scrawny step sister that is the last one taken at the dance. Will get the job done but nothing to write home about. Now as for a PH? Yes the Rem is great! Cheaper, lighter, easier on the ammo. But I am not a PH. Just a dude that loves artillery and hunting. GB has a 378 that a few days ago was tempting, but now knuckleheads are in a bidding war.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get a headache just reading this thread. crazy

I had to stop at a warmly loaded 416 Rigby. frown
Do not have any desire to go to more recoil. One's gotta know their limits.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kingston

Thanks, Will check it out.

I appreciate Ken not wanting to whittle on his Wby, that would hurt the value.

I wasn't worried about mine. I do think my MkV bolt knob looks better than his bloody finger... shocked

The glove may be the answer. Or, maybe he's too big a Wuss to shoot such a big boomer... blush

I know I went to meddling, bringing that up... cry

I really didn't mean it, Ken... laugh

I take it back... cool

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yep, I like the way the 500 NE handles and shoots. DB's are cool, have lots of class.

The old timers liked big slugs at around 2,150 to 2,250, IIRC. That speed seems to do well with the right slug, big whallop and manageable recoil. Hi vel proponents want to push big slugs to 2,500-2,550fps. I don't know if they kill better, would probably be better at longer range, but how far are most elephants, buff, etc., killed? And, a big slug at 2,500 fps will rattle yo teeth... shocked

Sometimes it pays to go back and see how the old time hunters did their thing. They seemed to bag a lot of game.

Df

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by kingston

Thanks, Will check it out.

I appreciate Ken not wanting to whittle on his Wby, that would hurt the value.

I wasn't worried about mine. I do think my MkV bolt knob looks better than his bloody finger... shocked

The glove may be the answer. Or, maybe he's too big a Wuss to shoot such a big boomer... blush

I know I went to meddling, bringing that up... cry

I really didn't mean it, Ken... laugh

I take it back... cool

DF
That "bloody finger" is child's play compared to what .460 Wby factory ammo done to my finger. Just imagine a crater where it is in the pic and lots of blood!

Good thing you took it back,otherwise I would have gone to bed and cried myself to sleep. grin laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Quite yer whining!! You got 9 more fingers. Plenty to go around. Somebody should do a thread on photos of the crescent moon forehead recoil club. I wear glasses so I've never really been bloodied. Just thumped to bejezzus.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Quite yer whining!! You got 9 more fingers. Plenty to go around..

Yeah, for sure.

But, that's his booger pulling, trigger finger...

Hard to function without that one.

And with that checkered Wby Custom bolt knob, the 460 would probably bash the next finger in line.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I need to patent my half moon bolt knob...

Or, Wby and others could configure the bolt knob a bit forward, like the old Oberndorf bolt handles. Those didn't slope back, didn't present a health hazard to the trigger finger.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE the bolt, I would not own a rifle that abused me if all it took was a bit of removal and some blueing. They are not works of are, to me anyway, they are tools. Make them work for you not against you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
RE the bolt, I would not own a rifle that abused me if all it took was a bit of removal and some blueing. They are not works of are, to me anyway, they are tools. Make them work for you not against you.

Agree, but understand Elk's dilemma. Carving up that fancy Wby bolt knob may not be a smart move from a value point of view.

That is an expensive rifle, worth more than Elk's trigger finger.... cry

Just kidding... grin

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Handling a big rifle is a learning curve and can be fun if the loads are progressively escalated over time.
You can load plain old Hornady 300gn bullets intended for the .45/70 to 3000fps+ and recoil can be greatly reduced with faster powders and lighter loads to begin at top end .45/70 velocities and go from there.

Next step would be the 405gn Remington (The 400gn Speer has a jacket too thin for the .460 and bullets can turn into a blue mist after about 2400fps is reached) and then the 350gn Barnes TSX which will take anything in the US and most of Africa. Just as it is not necessary to load a .300 Magnum with 220gn bullets for common usage, it is not necessary to load the heavier bullets in the .460 for everyday use and I thoroughly promote its use as much as possible to maintain familiarity and eliminate the possible apprehension that comes from its use with most people.

The .460 is a tremendously versatile cartridge. When you kill a few animals big enough to stop its bullets, you will see a ballistic thump hard to describe, as it totally numbs them and reduces their interest and concern in you noticeably.

My strongest recommendation would be to ignore the experts, as there really are very few on this planet. The .460 is a very exclusive club divided into 2 groups by those that use it and those that own it. From there one can traverse in either direction.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by rost495

Agree, but understand Elk's dilemma. Carving up that fancy Wby bolt knob may not be a smart move from a value point of view.

That is an expensive rifle, worth more than Elk's trigger finger.... cry

Just kidding... grin

DF

True,the Wby is worth more than my finger. wink

As far as removing a bit on the bolt,umm no. I can and do load this rifle to were it does not hit my finger. As mentioned above 2300 fps or lower (500 grain bullet) the bolt knob does not hit my finger.

Keep in mind that a 500 grain bullet going 2300 fps,is duplicating the .458 Lott but with lower pressures. Like AGW said in the above post,the .460 is a versatile cartridge.

I just need for some big critters to escape the zoo or circus. grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/05/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.