Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Saw a LH Montana Rifle ASR in .308 for sale in a local gun shop a few years ago. It was priced far below what they seem to go for now days ... less than $600. It might have been used, but looked new to me as I handled it off the rack. I agree with Jim in Idaho, it felt a little on the heavy side although that weight is mostly in the action so balances OK. I didn't quite care for the fluted fore stock but I was a little tempted at that price.

For $600, I would have had to grab it. The action alone is worth $800 +/-.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got into the MCR thing when they were just starting out. Ordered one of their first LH short action barrel/receiver groups back when you sent them your money then had to wait about a year to get it. Sort of their start up money.
When they were ready to ship it to me I had them send it across town to Serengetti Stock Co where it was fitted to their then new laminated AA Claro stock made to my specification . Mine came as a 358, MCR polished the action and bore, squared the receiver to the barrel and gave it a deep blue finish.
Excellent rifle but they made the barrel a little to heavy for me. Years latter I had it re-barreled to a 308. It's my rifle of choice when I head into the woods each fall.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
I got into the MCR thing when they were just starting out. Ordered one of their first LH short action barrel/receiver groups back when you sent them your money then had to wait about a year to get it. Sort of their start up money.
When they were ready to ship it to me I had them send it across town to Serengetti Stock Co where it was fitted to their then new laminated AA Claro stock made to my specification . Mine came as a 358, MCR polished the action and bore, squared the receiver to the barrel and gave it a deep blue finish.
Excellent rifle but they made the barrel a little to heavy for me. Years latter I had it re-barreled to a 308. It's my rifle of choice when I head into the woods each fall.
[Linked Image]

I could live with that, except maybe in .30-06. Gorgeous! I have an X2 that I'm becoming attached to.
Bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
JBMI beautiful rifle. I talked with someone at Serengetti and they told me they usually completely re-work the MCR action by surface grinding and then adding lightening flutes like the Mauser Mt. actions. The gunsmith said he knocked almost a half pound off of his personal rifle a feather weight .358 W. Would like to see that one.

MCR is looking pretty good now that the Winchester Lefties have gotten so high.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an X2 in 264 win mag that shoots lights out. very good guns, little heavy but they work.

IC B2

C
C
Well after a 9 month wait, my X2 in 264 win mag finally showed up. The gun looks to be well built, but the action is rough. Sort of disappointed. I cleaned and lubed it up and cycled the bolt several hundred times, it seems better. But for the money I would expect more.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hope it shoots I wont buy another!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by C185
Well after a 9 month wait, my X2 in 264 win mag finally showed up. The gun looks to be well built, but the action is rough. Sort of disappointed. I cleaned and lubed it up and cycled the bolt several hundred times, it seems better. But for the money I would expect more.

As noted in another thread, I have two LH MRC X2 rifles from the two group buys. Easily the two smoothest actions I own. Just picked up a raw LH MRC action for a project. Older action (2003 time frame maybe?). Anyhoo, as you stated, rough. Have about 700 to 800 cycles on the bolt, with and without the firing pin. Has smoothed up significantly. But still not where I want it to be. It is going to be a custom build, so, "smoothing action" will be one of the items on the build list.

Anyone familiar with why the MRC action "smoothness" quality would be up and down ? I can understand the early actions during start up mode. However, surprised that current production actions would have an issue after they have had a period of really good smooth actions two to three years ago ?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i received my asr lh 308 back in spring it is very smooth

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Anyone familiar with why the MRC action "smoothness" quality would be up and down ? I can understand the early actions during start up mode. However, surprised that current production actions would have an issue after they have had a period of really good smooth actions two to three years ago ?

The actions are cast and then hand fitted and finished by MRC. Many hands in the pot throughout production. QC is done at all phases by department leads and also the gunsmiths who disassemble and re-assemble the gun several times throughout the production life cycle. Then final bedding and function testing by one of the 5 or 6 gunsmiths they have, so it depends on which one you get for final inspection, who did the original mating of the bolt to the action, how backlogged they are at the moment (i.e. pressed for time) etc...

Some actions come out like glass, others are on the other end of the spectrum but somehow get passed and sent over to shipping.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TheDude
Originally Posted by Orion2000

The actions are cast and then hand fitted and finished by MRC. Many hands in the pot throughout production. QC is done at all phases by department leads and also the gunsmiths who disassemble and re-assemble the gun several times throughout the production life cycle. Then final bedding and function testing by one of the 5 or 6 gunsmiths they have, so it depends on which one you get for final inspection, who did the original mating of the bolt to the action, how backlogged they are at the moment (i.e. pressed for time) etc...

Some actions come out like glass, others are on the other end of the spectrum but somehow get passed and sent over to shipping.

Appreciate your time to respond. I understand...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2, one is better than a winchester, but what I would call average (stainless) the other is too smooth, almost to where I'm worried about it locking up appropriately... slick as whale snot on an iceburg... that one is blued... smoother finish on the metal for sure...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.