Hop To
#12123914 07/02/17
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Can blow me. Whoever invented that game needs a kick in the balls

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Why such a bad attitude!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Because it constantly gives me fits.

Shot a 200 bird "iron man" shoot today and only went 30/50 on the trap range

94/100 five stand

43/50 skeet

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Trap is fun, especially when there's money to be won. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Next time I shoot trap I'm shooting my 10 gauge and goose loads

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
gitem, 5 stand ate my lunch the only time I tried it.. I do pretty good at trap, but skeet gives me fits too.. Only ever shot it a few times.. The high house low house thing is usually just the opposite of the way I would shoot live birds, but it is just a game..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gitem_12

94/100 five stand

43/50 skeet

Shooting a score of 94/100 at 5-stand certainly tells us you can shoot. You have to know how to "Think" to shoot skeet......sporting clays is for shooters. Your likely over leading in Trap after shooting 5-stand...a very common error.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like I have a new language to learn. I now have my dad's Browning A5 light twelve, and I hear it should be up to the challenge if I do my part.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Remembering to pick the correct hold point is the most difficult part of trap for me. If I do it correctly, 24-25 /25 is common, if not then I struggle in the 21-22/25 range.

I tend to hold too close to the house and end up with too much gun speed which causes me to shoot behind as I try to slow the swing at the moment of pulling the trigger. If I get the barrel a good 2, maybe 3, fingers above the house everything slows down, targets becomes larger and "easier" to hit.

It also helps to hold the barrel over the correct part of the house, one does not hold in the same point for every station. At station 1 I hold a little inside the front corner closest to me. Foot position is to facilitate swinging to the left if a hard left as a hard right bird will be a straight away. Station 2 hold point is about halfway between the center of the house and the front corner used at Station 1. At Station 3 I hold a little to my strong side from center. Station 4 and 5 are the same place as Station 2 and 1 respectively except on the other side of center.

What kills most shooters is a failure to read the actual path of the bird. Many birds appear to be straight always but it is very rare that they are such. Instead, they have a slight angle on them which causes the shooter to shoot behind. Hard focus on the leading edge, correct hold and acquisition points, and a little patience before pulling the trigger will go far towards recognizing these slight angles. Anyone can recognize gross angles, it takes a practiced, discerning eye to read the less obvious targets. A good sporting clays target setter will have many targets like these and learning to read the subtle clues in trap will go far toward improving scores in sporting clays.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't shoot a lot of trap. Matter of fact, I it avoid if I can. For Skeet and Sporting Clays, I found the advice of an older, very good shooter to hold true. That is, get in a natural and comfortable stance and adjust your stance so that your belt buckle is pointed where you want to break the target. In doing so your body has a chance to naturally 'unwind' as the target appears, you pick it up, swing thru, pull the trigger, and follow thru.

Some of the best shooters I've ever watched, follow this technique to one extent or another. A lot of them also shoot 'gun down', rather than with a shouldered gun.

Last edited by WiFowler; 07/20/17.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love trap! Screw skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand. Trap is the game for me.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was out at the range yesterday despite the heat out here. I like to shoot both trap and skeet. I shot two rounds of trap and two rounds of skeet. I did rather well since it has been awhile. One of these days I'm going to give sporting clays a try.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
No challenge no fun....
Haven't shot trap for som Tim as I like skeet better and sporting clays and 5 stand

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

94/100 five stand

43/50 skeet

Don't complain, you're a hell of lot better than me. You think trap is hard, try Chinese trap sometime. That's when you shoot trap from the Skeet stations. You get 5 chances to shoot 2 birds from each station. The idea is to see how far you can go on a box of shells. On Chinese, I generally use a Mod and on the longer stations, I use a Full.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

94/100 five stand

43/50 skeet

Don't complain, you're a hell of lot better than me. You think trap is hard, try Chinese trap sometime. That's when you shoot trap from the Skeet stations. You get 5 chances to shoot 2 birds from each station. The idea is to see how far you can go on a box of shells. On Chinese, I generally use a Mod and on the longer stations, I use a Full.

Love Chinese Trap.....the hold points get way out off the trap house from skeet positions 1, 2 and 3 plus station 6 and 7.

Doc

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never shot skeet or sporting clays.
Think those would proly be harder than trap.

When I shot one summer a few times........I'd be fine until I thought about it........and then would screw up.
Good enough reason to quit.

Pops has retina issue, told me to come get his 1100 trap. Last time I shot trap with it, 2002.
It's a good dove puffer though.

Might have to take the ol lady out and try a round at local club. Work 2nds so has to over holiday or layoff LOL.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did get a beater 1100 w imp cyl bbl, thought about skeet.
Buddies shoot $$$$ rigs and want me to come out (morning shoots).

Back in the 90's I shot trap once in a while, using an 1100 magnum (recoil pad is nice).
Pop's trap rig has had comb reduced to almost field dim.
Burl wood.............it's a tank.

Miss being able to use lead at F&W area...........that thing worked great.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.