Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So... How are the Henry rifles built? Are they blued steel? Alloy? Pot metal?

Never used one, and have not been much interested. Still...
The receiver is a zinc alloy casting. The barrel and working parts of the action {hammer, lever, bolt, lifter, etc.} are steel.

Haven't even looked at one in years, but IIRC they did have a fair bit of plastic on them at one time. Barrel bands and such. Did they do away with that?

The fairest thing to say about Henry rifles, since being straightforward in my subjective thoughts a couple of years ago weren't very popular, is to hold one in your hand before you purchase. They don't have the same track record that other common lever 22s have had for the last several decades when it comes to the quality of materials used. That doesn't matter to some folks apparently, and that's fine, but it isn't a fact that should be overlooked unless you really don't care. (Considering the number of people who insist on replacing quality aluminum parts on various bolt guns, I don't necessarily think it's a small point.)

BTW, my Henry 22 Mag has a painted 'pot metal' (zinc) receiver, a plastic barrel band, and a plastic front sight. It seems to function okay. I'm happy to hear that Henry has apparently answered the demand for higher quality by making some improvements in recent years. I stand behind the idea that holding one in hand is probably a good idea if you're thinking of purchasing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got my small game rifle a few days ago. It has a metal band and front sight, can't say about accuracy as of yet. Will shoot it this weekend if it doesn't rain. The engraving that has the gold lettering in it looks like hell though. The gold is only in about half the engraving on the side that has where it is made. I like the gun but they could have paid more attention to their product before they send it out.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I avoided one for years, thinking it was a pot metal piece of junk. I finally decided try one rather than just dislike it for no real reason.

I guess I'd jump in line if they made an all steel version. But with that being said, I can't complain about mine at all. Accurate, smooth, a lot of fun to shoot.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

That right there is pretty funny.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
That's why they call you Klik, instead of Henry......

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So... How are the Henry rifles built? Are they blued steel? Alloy? Pot metal?

Never used one, and have not been much interested. Still...
The receiver is a zinc alloy casting. The barrel and working parts of the action {hammer, lever, bolt, lifter, etc.} are steel.

They're very similar (identical) to the older Ithaca Model 73 (Erma Werke-built; Germany) rifles. 73 was the mag, 72 the long rifle.

Originally Posted by Crockettnj

That right there is pretty funny.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
That's why they call you Klik, instead of Henry......

Just saw that a couple of days ago....I thought so too! grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just talked a friend of mine with a Henry .22 LR and
his shoots high, the open sights adjusted all the way.

Must be pretty new, as he is wondering if he should
send it in or what.

Any ideas out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henry has awfully good CS....give em a call and see what they have to say....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have two Henry Golden boys in 22lr. The only plastic is the butt plate. Not sure what the receiver is but appears to be brass or a brass alloy of some kind. Replaced the blue steel front barrel band with a brass band just for looks. The action is very smooth. Never had a problem with functioning. Both rifles are accurate enough to hit a jackrabbit at 50 to 60 yards.
The only complaint is have is there is a lot of drop on the rear stock. To get the proper sight picture the rifle is in an awkward position on my shoulder.
Like was said earlier, get one in your hands and see how it works for you.
I have an Ithaca model 72 with an alloy receiver and it is very smooth as well. Mostly use and carry these three rifles.
I have a Winchester model 9422 and a 9422m I have ever need error shot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This Henry talk reminds me of when I heard a guy ask another how he liked his Studebaker pickup. Answer was well, it's kinda like sleeping with a black woman? Guy says what?? What do you mean? Ok, I really like it but I'm ashamed of it.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 30 years ago I had a 9422M. Nice rifle but it wouldn't even come close to the accuracy I get from my Octagon barreled Henry in 22WMR.

I have one of those 9422M that I bought back in the 1970's. Mine is a real good shooter. I have not shot a Henry to compare, but my Winchester has been great. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I just talked a friend of mine with a Henry .22 LR and
his shoots high, the open sights adjusted all the way.

Must be pretty new, as he is wondering if he should
send it in or what.

Any ideas out there.

Tell him to pretend the bad guys are riding Shetland ponies.

or get a taller front sight.. maybe both..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A buddy I was hunting with this weekend has a Henry 17hmr. Had problems with the trigger and grouping was several inches. He said in 10-15 shots he couldn't get a boresnake to drop down the bore. Henry had him send it back they're replacing the entire rifle. Sounds like good CS anyway.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Henry 22 mag lever gun. It functioned flawlessly, shot accurately and felt good in the hand. I can't say the same of the Marlin I had.

The alloy receiver complaints are without foundation. They work as designed. I can't recall reading of a failed Henry receiver. I read on another forum where a guy tried to wear one out and after 5000 rounds it was still working great. My 10/22 has an alloy receiver, albeit of different composition from the Henry. Nobody seems to whine about that.

Henry makes a good product for a good price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought one yesterday for $399. Base model 001M 22 Mag. Got tired of waiting/looking for a Marlin 1894M. I find it to be a smooth operating well made and shooting little carbine. Mine was shooting low at 50 but well within the adjustment range of the rear sight. Sighted in with 40 grain JSP.

I did not go with a Golden Boy because I found the cheek weld to be odd to get my eye in the correct sight plane. YMMV but the base model blued rifle fit perfectly.

Only plastic on mine is the buttplate. Quality is such that I have no qualms about exploring their other models.

Last edited by Mink; 03/30/17.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You get a lot of rifle for the dollar spent, with a Henry rifle. A few years ago I had a 22lr lever action Henry that had issues and it was fixed on their dime, and to top that off, the President and CEO Anthony Imperonto ( not sure on the spelling) called me at home to see if I was happy with the repairs done to my rifle. Not a tech support guy but the man himself.
Next time you get a gun repaired at Remington, Ruger, S&W, Winchester. Wait buy the phone for their President or CEO to call and asked if you are happy with their product. (Never going to happen)
Comparing a 94/22M to the Henry rifle is not fair. But at least the Henry is half or one third the price. If you can find a 94/22M for sale.
Henry makes a good rifle with great CS!

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with a Henry. It should as good or better than a winchester. Metal and wood fits well. Plastic butt plate so what.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no plastic butt plate on all Henry's..........for example.....

this is my 1st Henry about a year ago....22LR though......top one...SE2.....

has been flawless....slick as snot...longer lever throw than my 39's.....

great wood to metal fit...........just sold a 94-22M on here.......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up this clean used Henry 22 Mag with a 20" octagon barrel yesterday. I changed the sights on all my leverguns to a fine white bead and a flat top rear sight; this one got that treatment immediately.

I got it rough-zeroed on steel this AM and accuracy looks good with Armscor 40 grain JHP. Three shot 50 yard groups were often under an inch and at 100, they were 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches. Sighted 1 1/2" high at 50 yards put it right on at 100. By covering the top half of the 14" gong with the bead, I hit it 2 out of 3 at 200 yards. I ran it vertical, sideways etc. Feeding remained slick and effortless and it handles like a 94 Winchester.

The only thing left to wish for was a fine trigger and this evening, I cleaned it up to 2 1/2 pounds.

This little dandy is going to get a workout.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot mine yesterday for the first time. I have the .22 magnum with 20" octagon barrel, peep sight and big loop. I like it pretty well but havent shot it at paper yet. Quality seems good fit and finish is good except for the painted reciever which doesnt bother me all though it would look better if it were anodized. Sights were dead on right out of the box.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd happily trade my Marlin 883 and a little cash for a standard Henry 22 Mag levergun. But I wouldn't trade my 39 s,l,lr for a Henry.

The Henry's feel right and have a slick action, and I've seen some with the receiver cover stripped and a case hardened look applied that looked really nice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.