Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay Men, I have an old spare clover leaf tang model 70 H&H length magnum action I'd like to use for a 7 Mashburn build, what stainless or chrome moly barrels do you guys like, along with contour and twist, I don't mind if the rifle weighs 8-9 lbs all up, would like the barrel to finish at 25-26"s.

Will have finished barreled action installed in an Echols Legend or McMillan Edge stock with around a 14" LOP, midnight blue cerakote for all the steel and mount a matte 3.5-10x40 Leupold in an old set of Conetrol rings and bases I've had for years.

This will be a hunting rifle topping out at Elk sized critters on down, thinking hard about the 160 Accubonds.

Thanks in advance for tips and opinions.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm happy with these guys http://pac-nor.com/ .Had them install a 28" lapped Super Match Grade SS barrel on one of my rifles.Thing shoots better than I do.Very consistent groups about 1/2 inch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Krieger and Brux. 3-4 contour..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock 3, Pac 2 or 3, Douglas 2 or 3, Brux 2b........if you don't care about it weighing 9+ pounds you have a bunch of options. I dont know about an edge stock with a 26" 3+ contour barrel though. I have a 280 Rock #2 @23" on a pre64 in an edge and it balances really well.

I'd send it all to Redneck. He'll make that trigger nice too.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

This Bartlein 2b is my favorite and bugholes offering has the length to get you where you want to be........

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Baldhunter, Thanks, thats a fine shooting iron, will check out pac-nor.

30338, that Bartlein #3 should be a good stiff shooting barrel, Thanks for the link.

SandBilly, I like Krieger too, have a couple of larger bores with their barrels, have never been disappointed with them.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Rock 3, Pac 2 or 3, Douglas 2 or 3, Brux 2b........if you don't care about it weighing 9+ pounds you have a bunch of options. I dont know about an edge stock with a 26" 3+ contour barrel though. I have a 280 Rock #2 @23" on a pre64 in an edge and it balances really well.

I'd send it all to Redneck. He'll make that trigger nice too.

Thanks Mooner, I have a 25 cal wildcat built on an FN M-70 action with a 28" fluted barrel in an Edge stock, it has a 14" LOP and carries just fine for me, I'm used to carrying heavy doubles and even a 16lb Sharps Bull Gun in 45-110 Sharps, plus, I love the way a barrel heave rifle goes to sleep when placing them on hair in the field, and a big 10-4 on Redneck, this build could be easily ready to hunt this fall. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

This Bartlein 2b is my favorite and bugholes offering has the length to get you where you want to be........

Indeed that 2b would save a few ounces, ordering that Bartlein from Bugholes and having it sent to Redneck along with me sending him my action, then sending the barreled action to Echols or McMillan would be the way to go, scope bases and rings are already here and waiting, I best get busy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A plan comes together. Going to be a good one.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet it'll be nice! Can't see where you'd go wrong with any standard/medium sporter contour that finishes .6ish or a bit more at 25.

I've always been fond of the look of Remington tapers, especially the KS. Kinda between a MR and a sporter. Though I'm sure some would get their nuts twisted over it being on a P64 Win action. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 30338
A plan comes together. Going to be a good one.

Yessir, Thanks 30338, looking forward to it too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I bet it'll be nice! Can't see where you'd go wrong with any standard/medium sporter contour that finishes .6ish or a bit more at 25.

I've always been fond of the look of Remington tapers, especially the KS. Kinda between a MR and a sporter. Though I'm sure some would get their nuts twisted over it being on a P64 Win action. Lol.

LMAO, yes, no need to ruffle ;]

Gathering parts and pieces, about to order some brass and dies.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I would check with Lee on which barrel he can get within a reasonable amount of time, which maker gives him the best service.

Don't forget Shilen. My last build, the smith preferred it and it's a shooter.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the Redneck check, and agreed, I've got a couple old custom builds with Shilen barrels too, my big 33 cal is on it's second Shilen barrel, 300 gr Accubonds at 3000 fps hit really hard way out there DF, it's a hell of an accurate old power puncher that has no intentions of immediate retirement. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with a Rock #3 sporter with 8.5" twist on mine, just waiting for it to get here.

Don't skimp on twist; don't settle for a 9, go with a 8 or 8.5.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks GG, 'bout have it narrowed down to going with the #3 8 twist Bartlein.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Scotty went 2B on his, might check with him as his was on a P-64 as well.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, thinking Scotty is six foot five inches, that would be an easy carry for him, I'm 6' 2" and think 26-26.5" at 2b or #3 would be about perfect with a 14" LOP for a nice carrying hunting rifle.

The 160 accubond should make a fine longer range hunting bullet, the numbers look really good out to 700 or so, in all actuality, i couldn't see taking a shot at game any farther than that from field positions.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gunner, so I built mine pretty much off of Bobs rifle. I used a P64 Magnum action, Echols Legend EDGE shell, I started with a 2B which Kevin Weaver contoured down to copy a Krieger #2. I had the barrel cut at 25". Mine was Cerrakoted Midnight Blue as well. With the 3x9 SWFA SS and TPS alloys it goes 8.5 lbs. Its a little heavier than what Bobs was, probably more the scope than Anything plus I used Blackburn BM which is heavy stuff.

I think the 160 Accubond is a great choice but the 7mm is flooded with awesome hunting Bullets. You can't hardly go wrong with any of them.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

Gunner,

I had to read through the comments first and have to agree with Mooner. My first inclination would be to dupe a KS contour. In fact, when I get to it, that's exactly what I plan to do with the 700 magnum action sitting in my safe.

Other than that it would be a Bartlein 2b or 3 if fluted.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Zyg3GaKQqqqSr1whg6dqQSjnDdq98oKVXLrHPLeKpIm

Still trying how to post pictures. Photobucket screwed us.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/08/17.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I found this on another post.I like it.You download your photo and it gives you a lot of links below it.Just click on the box to the right of the link you choose and it will copy,then you just paste it.So easy,like photobucket. postimages.org/login?logout

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I found this on another post.I like it.You download your photo and it gives you a lot of links below it.Just click on the box to the right of the link you choose and it will copy,then you just paste it.So easy,like photobucket. postimages.org/login?logout

Thank you. Checking it out now.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Gunner, so I built mine pretty much off of Bobs rifle. I used a P64 Magnum action, Echols Legend EDGE shell, I started with a 2B which Kevin Weaver contoured down to copy a Krieger #2. I had the barrel cut at 25". Mine was Cerrakoted Midnight Blue as well. With the 3x9 SWFA SS and TPS alloys it goes 8.5 lbs. Its a little heavier than what Bobs was, probably more the scope than Anything plus I used Blackburn BM which is heavy stuff.

I think the 160 Accubond is a great choice but the 7mm is flooded with awesome hunting Bullets. You can't hardly go wrong with any of them.

10-4 Beretz, I saw pics of your rifle and like it a lot, mine with the #3 barrel but wearing a lighter 3.5-10x40 may top out at around 9lbs which is more than fine with me, still 7lbs lighter than a bull barreled 45-110 Sharps. smile

The 160 AB will be a nice place to start, I can't think of a better more proven straight hunting bullet with a descent bc than the 7mm 160 gr AB, if it doesn't shoot, I'll look elsewhere, with the 154 IB's being at the top of the list, I need a Mashburn about like another hole in the head, but hey, all the cool guys have one ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Gunner,

I had to read through the comments first and have to agree with Mooner. My first inclination would be to dupe a KS contour. In fact, when I get to it, that's exactly what I plan to do with the 700 magnum action sitting in my safe.

Other than that it would be a Bartlein 2b or 3 if fluted.

Thanks Bob, and noted, a #3 fluted may be a consideration if it doesn't look to flashy screwed to an old M-70 action.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

10-4 Beretz, I saw pics of your rifle and like it a lot, mine with the #3 barrel but wearing a lighter 3.5-10x40 may top out at around 9lbs which is more than fine with me, still 7lbs lighter than a bull barreled 45-110 Sharps. smile

The 160 AB will be a nice place to start, I can't think of a better more proven straight hunting bullet with a descent bc than the 7mm 160 gr AB, if it doesn't shoot, I'll look elsewhere, with the 154 IB's being at the top of the list, I need a Mashburn about like another hole in the head, but hey, all the cool guys have one ;]

I've really never been disappointed with the 160 AB. It has crushed everything it's been shot at so far between myself and friends. It might be my favorite Accubond just out of sheer use and it is usually pretty accurate as well.

I just can't help but try some other Bullets since there are so many good ones out there. One Mashburn shooter is running 120 TTSXs at 3600 from his rifle and smokes elk and bear pretty handily too. Tons of options.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 160gr Accubond is a way better bullet than the 140gr Accubond.I like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dober really liked the 150 Ballistic Tips in his 7mm MSM. From what he says it was almost unfair how well they work over a pile of 7828...

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I've really never been disappointed with the 160 AB. It has crushed everything it's been shot at so far between myself and friends. It might be my favorite Accubond just out of sheer use and it is usually pretty accurate as well.

I just can't help but try some other Bullets since there are so many good ones out there. One Mashburn shooter is running 120 TTSXs at 3600 from his rifle and smokes elk and bear pretty handily too. Tons of options.

10-4 Beretz, with an 8 twist I'll be looking at 160 grains first with the option of going up in weight, need to check, but the heaviest offered LRX Barnes may be a contender too.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be thinking RL33 and 175 Hornady ELD-X, 180 ELD-M, 180 Scenar. Might as well use those cubic inches of case space:) The Scenar is well proven on elk, bears and deer for us. The 180 ELD is getting some rides this year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got some 175 ELD. Just formed and loaded some fireforming loads in RWS cases. Hoping to get out and shoot them tomorrow. I haven't decided which bullet I wanna run just yet.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll sure give em some hard thought men, my level of retardation kicks into overdrive when I start thinking about heavy game hunting with accurate target bullets. eek shocked

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll sure give em some hard thought men, my level of retardation kicks into overdrive when I start thinking about heavy game hunting with accurate target bullets. eek shocked

I might try something different out once I get one solid hunting load developed and in the book. Right now I've got a bunch of 7mm Bullets but not enough time.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YUP, 'time' the thing that gets in our way constantly, do any of you men like the 168/175 gr Nosler accubond long range bullets?

If they'll shoot accurately and hold up to short range crashes into big game, they seem to be the best of both worlds, albeit the b.c.'s being slightly inflated I'll bet.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I haven't tried them Gunner. I probably should give them a whirl and see what happens. I've got the twist and enough powder room to push them pretty quick.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 beretz, indeed, much speed with the Mashburn, if they're kinda fragile they may be better 280/280AI projectiles.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old cloverleaf tang M-70 300 H&H action and Conetrol rings and bases on the way to Redneck, along with a #3 Brux SS 8 twist 28" barrel '630" at the muzzle.

200 sticks of Norma 300 Win Mag brass along with a set of dies on the way to me, this is coming along just fine, now to find a stock and a scope. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The old cloverleaf tang M-70 300 H&H action and Conetrol rings and bases on the way to Redneck, along with a #3 Brux SS 8 twist 28" barrel '630" at the muzzle.

200 sticks of Norma 300 Win Mag brass along with a set of dies on the way to me, this is coming along just fine, now to find a stock and a scope. smile

Sounds great.

IIRC, last time, you starting with a scope, building down from there... laugh

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/20/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd be thinking RL33 and 175 Hornady ELD-X, 180 ELD-M, 180 Scenar. Might as well use those cubic inches of case space:) The Scenar is well proven on elk, bears and deer for us. The 180 ELD is getting some rides this year.

Vihtavuori n-570 is a coarse stick powder that just about won't run thru a powder measure. I remove the drop tube, throw a charge in a powder scale pan, weight each load.

But, in rounds like that it has some great numbers. Check out QL if they have that round in their program. Burn rate close to the old 870 powders, but it's a double based, high energy, dense powder. I wouldn't be surprised if n-570 out performs RL-33.

Powder Valley had it last time I checked.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Sounds great.

IIRC, last time, you starting with a scope, building down from there... laugh

DF

LOL, Yup, that old heavy duplex Leupold 3X is now matte cerakoted midnight blue and bolted to the top of a 98 Mauser 458 Win Mag via a set of Talley lever locks. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like a good one. You sent it back for heavy duplex, replaced the #4...

Cerakote sounds good. That scope had seen heavy use, hauled around for years in a pickup, mounted on a Ranch Rifle, busted a bunch of 'yotes. The finish had a few slick places.

Those M8 3X Leupold scope are about bullet proof, hard to kill.

Should do well on that big boomer.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sometimers moment, meant heavy #4, no, no changes except for the paint job, it's right at home now, what in hell am I gonna do with three 458 WM rifles? cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thought I remembered you thinking that reticle was too heavy.

It is sorta heavy, but those things do have their place. LR target shooting not part of it... wink

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used a little RL33 with 175 Partitions in my old Mashburn. 570 would probably work darned good too with 175's and heavier. I got an easy 3100 with Retumbo and 33 out of the old rifle.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
N-570 isn't that easy to work with, but the performance should make the extra effort well worth it.

I recently got some, haven't had time to put it thru the paces. I'm trying it in the 26 Nosler instead of the standard 869. I'm also trying it in my 7RM with heavy bullets. It should work even better in your Mashburn.

I would love to see a QL print out on the Mashburn with heavy bullets. I'll bet n-570 will be at or near the top of the list.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The great thing about the MSM to me is it super easy to work with compared to a RUM or STW.. being as it is set up for long seating it has PLENTY of space for the slow, dense powders. Even with 83 grains of 33 it was still very lightly compressed. It's not a miracle round at all but it is anything but finicky. Even good old H4831 does well, but just isn't as fast as those ultra slow powders.

My only complaint is having to do inside neck reaming to get rid of the donut after forming, but once I figured that out, it's been super easy to load for and the speeds are there.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thought I remembered you thinking that reticle was too heavy.

It is sorta heavy, but those things do have their place. LR target shooting not part of it... wink

DF

Yes, the reticle is too heavy for what I was going to mount it too, BSA's old pre-64 M-70 375 magnum.

With the 458, shooting couch and footstool [pigs] sized animals at spitting distance, it's perfect. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Used a little RL33 with 175 Partitions in my old Mashburn. 570 would probably work darned good too with 175's and heavier. I got an easy 3100 with Retumbo and 33 out of the old rifle.

Great news on the 33 with the 175's beretz, a man can go a good long way out at 3100 fps with a great b.c. hunting bullet. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gunner, I figure I'd add some of the pieces I use for the Mashburn. There may be a couple lurkers that wanna run a Mashburn Super. Looking at the amount of dies I have for it I should have my head examined but I dig the sucker.

These are the form and trim dies I use. You could get by with trying to jam virgin brass into a plain old FL die but the first time you crumple a couple of expensive RWS or Norma cases the F&T dies look a lot better.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-7mm-mashburn-from-300-winchester-magnum

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will get you the part number of the Redding FL bushing die as soon as I get home or I might be able to get my boy to get me a picture. That sucker is awesome for getting the perfect .003" neck tension.

Here is the pin gauge set I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCQO1UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got the whole kit. Works good for my other stuff as well. Seems like neck tension means something. Ha. Who'd a thunk it! Plus it makes identifying donuts after making a new shoulder a cinch.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks beretz, I appreciate it, still mulling 175's at 3100, that's gonna leave a mark. cool

I'll click on the link with a pad and paper at the ready, just hope I get work done early enough tomorrow to order some parts.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I also have the K&M neck turner. I actually just use the inside cutter since I'm not a neck turner. Works like a champ though. I chuck it up and hammer through the cases.

After those all you'll need is a seater die. I use Redding but RCBS works fine as well.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I will get you the part number of the Redding FL bushing die as soon as I get home or I might be able to get my boy to get me a picture. That sucker is awesome for getting the perfect .003" neck tension.

Here is the pin gauge set I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCQO1UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got the whole kit. Works good for my other stuff as well. Seems like neck tension means something. Ha. Who'd a thunk it! Plus it makes identifying donuts after making a new shoulder a cinch.

Appreciate this too. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 thanks, looks like a nice tin of Imperial Wax may be in order too.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

For danged sure. It works flat awesome.

3050 is no big trick. Seems like Page crushed about everything with 175's back in the day!

The 175 BBCs were the two quickest elk kills I've had so far. Hit me again 10 years and we will see if it holds up! grin

Last edited by beretzs; 07/20/17.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Has anyone out here tried H870 in the 7 mm Mash super. I have several pounds to use up and I'm just finishing the stock on my build so need to be thinking about load development. I also have lots of R 19 & 22 as well as H4831sc. Will be working with Hor
175 & 160 eldx as well as Nosler 175 partitions. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. Feel free to pm me with your thoughts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never used H870, but it should work fine.

Generally you can use 7mm Weatherby data and work up.

As to powders, 22, 7828 and 25 are pretty good. I use a bunch of H1000 and Retumbo mostly since I'm working with 160-175's.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

3050 is no big trick. Seems like Page crushed about everything with 175's back in the day!

The 175 BBCs were the two quickest elk kills I've had so far. Hit me again 10 years and we will see if it holds up! grin

LOL, oh too have a box of 1000 of those bullets, damn!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've got about 200 of them. Should be able to do something with em...

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thank you. I will probably just stick with the 160/175's in mine. I have. 26" tube so want to push it a bit. I am running right at 3400fps with h4931sc in my 7Rem mag and 140gr N. Bal tips and I'm at 3125 with 160gr partitions in that old rifle but I'm running 69.5 great of the h4831 to get it
No pressure signs, brass life is about 5 loadings so I'm good with that but have always wanted the Mashburn...read to much of Have in my youth ;-) any recommendations as to starting points with the 22 or 870 and 160/175's ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by archeratlrg
Thank you. I will probably just stick with the 160/175's in mine. I have. 26" tube so want to push it a bit. I am running right at 3400fps with h4931sc in my 7Rem mag and 140gr N. Bal tips and I'm at 3125 with 160gr partitions in that old rifle but I'm running 69.5 great of the h4831 to get it
No pressure signs, brass life is about 5 loadings so I'm good with that but have always wanted the Mashburn...read to much of Have in my youth ;-) any recommendations as to starting points with the 22 or 870 and 160/175's ?

I'd probably look at any old 7mm Weatherby data using H870.. maybe an old Speer manual would have a start. I've got no experience with it in either of my Mashburns.

I got 3200 with H1000 out of my old Mashburn and 160 Accubonds and 3250 with Partitions. 175's ran 3050 with H1000 and 3100 with Retumbo and 175 Partitions. With my current Mashburn I'm doing 3250's with 154 Interbonds and H1000. Still working the load a little though.

If you haven't gotten one yet, an inside neck reamer will be required to cut the donut out after fireforming. If you don't get it out it will play heck with pressures and with accuracy. Once you nip it once, it's done but nowadays I fireform and inside neck turn. It's made it a cinch to load for.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks again beretzs, are you finding any particular COAL to work better than another and how far off the lands are you seating your bullets?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like a pretty cool project!
28" tube - you gonna swing it at animals or shoot it? grin

I'd likely role with the 160AB's too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, barrel will be cut at 26.5"s, from what I've seen, and read, the 160 AB's are gonna be tough to beat for an all around hunting bullet SKane, a good rangefinder and spintop scope will get most anything covered nicely in the game mountains and fields. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can't find some 160 AB's, drop me a line. I can probably spare a box or two (though I think they're plentiful once again).

WWP53D
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks buddy, grabbed 600 of those little punchers awhile back, PM sent though.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again beretzs, are you finding any particular COAL to work better than another and how far off the lands are you seating your bullets?

Not really. The 154 Interbonds are .100" off the rifling and shooting well. The Partition shot well around .040" in my old rifle and the Accubond did well at about .075".

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I've got about 200 of them. Should be able to do something with em...

I'll bet so, same with me and all these 160 AB's, if the Super Masher doesn't like em, bet I can get the little Montana 280 AI to shoot em. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They're only "little punchers" compared to what you normally sling downrange. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd probably look at any old 7mm Weatherby data using H870.. maybe an old Speer manual would have a start. I've got no experience with it in either of my Mashburns.

I got 3200 with H1000 out of my old Mashburn and 160 Accubonds and 3250 with Partitions. 175's ran 3050 with H1000 and 3100 with Retumbo and 175 Partitions. With my current Mashburn I'm doing 3250's with 154 Interbonds and H1000. Still working the load a little though.

If you haven't gotten one yet, an inside neck reamer will be required to cut the donut out after fireforming. If you don't get it out it will play heck with pressures and with accuracy. Once you nip it once, it's done but nowadays I fireform and inside neck turn. It's made it a cinch to load for.

what is this donut in the neck that you refer to?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane

They're only "little punchers" compared to what you normally sling downrange. laugh

True dat... grin

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79inpa

When the cases get run into the form and then trim die the thick part of the 300 Win shoulder becomes the neck on the Mashburn. A little ring of material forms about 3/4's the way down on the inside of the neck. I can usually feel it with the pin gauge after forming and definitely after fireforming. I never noticed it or gave it much thought until Darcy pointed out how to find them. Once I slipped a few pins down in there and they were stopped I knew what I had going on.

At first I didn't think it was any big deal but as I shot the brass with the ring concentricity went to heck and pressure would spike for no good reason. Since I've learned to clean up that little wisp of brass life has been easy again and Mashburn is back to being a mild mannered nail driver.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SKane

True dat... grin

DF

LOL Men I've got a 22 Hornet that says it'll get me entry into the Poohbah Kingdom. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how do you inside neck ream?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Inside Neck Reamer

Last edited by The_Yetti; 07/22/17.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

When the cases get run into the form and then trim die the thick part of the 300 Win shoulder becomes the neck on the Mashburn. A little ring of material forms about 3/4's the way down on the inside of the neck. I can usually feel it with the pin gauge after forming and definitely after fireforming. I never noticed it or gave it much thought until Darcy pointed out how to find them. Once I slipped a few pins down in there and they were stopped I knew what I had going on.

At first I didn't think it was any big deal but as I shot the brass with the ring concentricity went to heck and pressure would spike for no good reason. Since I've learned to clean up that little wisp of brass life has been easy again and Mashburn is back to being a mild mannered nail driver.

Scotty talked me into a pin gauge set for my Mashburn--not that it was very hard.

Great enlightenment for inside neck diameter (related to neck tension, but many variable involved, not necessarily just inside neck diameter).

I even found donuts in some several times fired 30-06 brass, that I never resized from another case.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I use the K&M hand tool. It has a cutter on the studs that'll knock the donut out.

And yes to the pin gauges. Pretty handy tool.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I went to K&M's site and can't figure out which hand tool you speak of Beretz, I'll need to order one for my Mashburn.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gunner, I ordered right from K&M. Basically you'll need an expander mandrel, hand cutter with 284 stud/cutter and an adapter that I can spin the case with my cordless drill.

Here's the stud that goes into the hand tool. You can see the cutters on the end.

http://kmshooting.com/carbide-cutting-pilot.html

Here is the hand tool and shell holder set up.

http://kmshooting.com/steel-pilot-carbide-cutter-power-adapter-and-shell-holder-1023.html

The handle comes right off the shell holder assembly, then you can attach the drill motor right to it. I back the outside neck cutter all the way off. You shouldn't have any reason to outside turn at all.

Give them a call though. They will get you set up right. Good folks to deal with.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/23/17.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Buddy, I appreciate all the helpful guidance on this build. cool

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.