Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Originally Posted by jwall

For whatever reason 1. I liked the looks - skeletal like -, 2. I never got around to getting one.

So you've never owned one, but have posted three times on this thread?

Good grief.

The reason they suck so badly is how they handle recoil, not how they look. If you'd owned one you would know that.

One man's mule is another man's pussycat. I had a boat paddle 30-06 and the recoil did not seem bad at all even with 180 grain heavy loads. A Tikka T3 lite 308 with standard loads was downright punishing to me though. Stock fit varies from person to person.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
BP-B6

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$500.00+ is way too much for the rifle the OP mentioned. Years ago I paid $500.00 for a brand new .338WM with the boat paddle, and figured that the recoil pad was just too thin and hard. I replaced the stock with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded and could not be happier. But the boat paddle stock is indestructible. It would handle anything you can put it through.

Last edited by Ray; 07/03/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Let's face it - the Zytel boat paddle Rugers suck.
They suck so bad I have three of them, .30-06, .300WM and .338WM.

THE biggest objection I had to them was the FRONT, sling RIG. They would click side to side. I'm sure I could have solved that fairly easily but didn't get a rifle. That was NOT the reason I didn't get one.

Jerry

Take a good look at my ..30-06, the one on the right. Picked it up used. Someone did a nice job of installing studs.

Yes C H, I've seen your pic before and noticed the 'studs' and ALSO have seen 1 or a few others similar. I haven't kept up w/them to see if Ruger changed them as OEM. I have seen and handled them at Gun Shows and still like the looks.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

My three are .338WM with a Limbsaver recoil pad and a .300WM and .30-06 with factory pads, Recoil isn't really an issue compared to my other rifles,
**** in part because I rarely shoot them without wearing hunting clothes or a shoulder pad to provide about the same LOP as when wearing the hunting clothes.

**** In any case, replacing the factory pad with a Limbsaver really reduces felt recoil.

What I do really like about them are the light weight and stability and the fact that I don't give a flip if they get scratched or dinged. And no hollow sound.

Yes, There is moreN one way to skin a cat. !

I've been on SS and Synthetic SINCE Skeeter Skelton stated, "Nothing is more practical than SS and synthetic" ! ! I'd have to get my book on Handguns by him to find out HOW LONG back that's been.

He WAS NOT wrong!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

One man's mule is another man's pussycat. I had a boat paddle 30-06 and the recoil did not seem bad at all even with 180 grain heavy loads.

****A Tikka T3 lite 308 with standard loads was downright punishing to me though.

***Stock fit varies from person to person.

T B B - I HAD that same experience, aka PAIN, with a Ruger 77 tanger 338 WM. I have a 700 BDL 8mm Rem Mag and have shot a 375 H H more THAN ENUFF to know they did NOT hurt me. The tanger went down the road so fast it kicked up DUST.!!!!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I have shot a few and never thought recoil was any worse than any other stock whether wood or synthetic. Bud had a 300 that was fairly tame and a 7mm Mag that got traded back to the shop the same day he bought it, one kicking SOB.

10 G, That's interesting.

After I got my Tikka T 3 Lite in 270 W, I 'kinda' thot it kicked AS much as my syn 7 RM. Next time out I took both and shot them back to back. NO it does not kick as much. I still have my syn 7 mag and like it. Killed a buck w/it a couple of seasons back.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HUNTS
If anyone is looking for a boat paddle stock I have one sitting here from a .30-06. It has an added sling swivel on the fore end for a bipod.

IF, IF I knew that stock would fit my 98 Mauser, which is std L A, aka 30-06 length, I'd seriously consider buying it from you.

The Ruger 77 is a 'mirror image' of the 98 but I'm not sure about how close the fit might be.

Does anyone -- know if that swap would work ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by HUNTS
If anyone is looking for a boat paddle stock I have one sitting here from a .30-06. It has an added sling swivel on the fore end for a bipod.

IF, IF I knew that stock would fit my 98 Mauser, which is std L A, aka 30-06 length, I'd seriously consider buying it from you.

The Ruger 77 is a 'mirror image' of the 98 but I'm not sure about how close the fit might be.

Jerry

Not sure how practical it would be to modify the stock, but the angled front action screw of the Rugers would need some work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

For whatever reason 1. I liked the looks - skeletal like -, 2. I never got around to getting one.

So you've never owned one, but have posted three times on this thread?

Good grief.

The reason they suck so badly is how they handle recoil, not how they look. If you'd owned one you would know that.

You're not kidding. I was out at the range a couple weeks ago with a boat paddle 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 WBY. The 300 isn't a heavy gun by any means.

After switching back and forth between the two, I decided the 300 shooting 180's at 3200 was preferable to the 7mm shooting 140's at 3150. 100% stock design.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CMH

Jerry

Not sure how practical it would be to modify the stock, but the angled front action screw of the Rugers would need some work.

BINGO ! I totally agree. That's something that didn't cross my mind. I'm certain it would NOT be a drop in AND
I wouldn't attempt to modify that stock.

Thnx Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

After switching back and forth between the two, I decided the 300 shooting 180's at 3200 was preferable to the 7mm shooting 140's at 3150. 100% stock design.

? ? maybe not 100% design----FIT plays in there too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

? ? maybe not 100% design----FIT plays in there too.

Jerry

Nope.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

One man's mule is another man's pussycat. I had a boat paddle 30-06 and the recoil did not seem bad at all even with 180 grain heavy loads. A Tikka T3 lite 308 with standard loads was downright punishing to me though.

Stock fit varies from person to person.

YEP!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ugliest freaken invention ever that stock!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Anyone got a long action paddle stock with the number 412 inside the stock I'll buy it from you. I gave mine to my son and haven't found a replacement. PM me if you have one to sell or come across one
thanks
good hunting

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fotis

Beauty is in the eye... wink

We all don't like the same thing. I'm glad.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jerry

of the beer holder LOL

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Are you saying, a man would have to be drunk ?? grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

From P 3 per Coyote Hunter:
"Yes C H, I've seen your pic before and noticed the 'studs' and ALSO have seen 1 or a few others similar. I have seen and handled them at Gun Shows and still like the looks." smile

My hunting pard that is 68 with health issues, bought a Boat Paddle some yrs. back. Another member of his lease bugged and bugged him till my friend put a high price on it. The other guy whipped out his check book and bought it on the spot. shocked --Beauty is in the eye....

of the beer holder LOL

The Boat Paddle stock Ruger to me is LIKE the Rem. Mountain Rifle. I always liked its looks and slim design. Can't say why I never bought one confused-----maybe too many others already ???

I'm STILL trying to talk myself out of getting one. smirk

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had one in '06 with rifle sights. The stock was horrible! Skinny on top of the comb, it was like getting karate chopped in the face every time.
I ended up putting it in a Boyd's black pepper laminate, waaaayyyyy better! A friend of mine wanted it more than I did, so away it went. No loss by me. I have an '03A3 that replaced it quickly.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by Tom2506; 07/09/17.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.