Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Luckily is under warranty, but had been riding it for a while, was going to load it up, but it wouldn't start. Video shows better than I could explain it. Any ideas? After a few more attempts it finally did start

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
No mechanics here?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
'didn't start' can be many things. Would it not crank? Did it crank but not fire? Was the cranking sluggish, like a weak battery?
I'm not an experienced mechanic but anyone needs more info to even guess.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Have two videos, both are after riding it

https://youtu.be/6Y4s7HPWeYo

https://youtu.be/VAdaiWi-yfI

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Can you pull start it after the engine is hot?

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Check to see if the fuel line is too close to the engine. Might be vapor lock.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Forgot to mention it also hesitates when cold, but does start up. I just can't get it to the dealership for a couple weeks

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Check for spark by pulling a spark plug wire and holding it slightly away from the engine while someone cranks it. You should get a spark. Be sure to hold the wire with something insulated or you'll fry yourself. WARNING: do not pull the plug out of the hole. Just pull the wire off. The piston will spray gas out the hole as it rises and the spark could light it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another thing to look at is wiring. See if all the grounds are clean and secure, and make sure there's no crud or water in any of the wiring connectors elsewhere. On thing I've always done is to put a dab of dielectric grease in every connector I could get to on my machines just because of the conditions these things get used in. I suspect if the wiring is all ok, you may have a problem with the ignition system or the fuel pump.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Going to take a look tomorrow, thanks

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most of the newer wheelers will not start if full voltage is not there.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Seems to be fuel related. Was way up on a mountain and it wouldn't start, several times, a few minutes apart. Even though it is fuel injected I tried again, giving it some gas, and it finally came to life. Did that a couple times on the mountain - had to give it gas when it was warm.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by Taco280AI; 07/09/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you been running ethanol in it? That causes all kinds of fuel problems even though they say it's made for it. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Maybe the fuel pump?

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't replaced anything, doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet. Also haven't found any public non-ethanol pumps in CO Springs yet

At the time of the video only had 82 miles, total. Have an appointment for service, just another 9 days out. It only does this when it is hot. When cold has a slight hesitation, then starts.

Last edited by Taco280AI; 07/09/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
I haven't replaced anything, doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet. Also haven't found any public non-ethanol pumps in CO Springs yet

At the time of the video only had 82 miles, total. Have an appointment for service, just another 9 days out. It only does this when it is hot. When cold has a slight hesitation, then starts.

Here's one:
PHILLIPS 66 91 Chief Petroleum 719-473-7760 301 S 10th St
I found it here: PURE-GAS.ORG (be sure to add that hyphen or you'll get an unrelated ad)

I didn't realize its that new. Let the dealer handle it for sure. And get out of the ethanol habit on all small engines. It keeps mechanics in business.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Same reason I got rid of my King Quad. I bought it because it was fuel injected, and had a diff loc because I planned to use it for ice fishing.

If the battery wasn't at least 99% charged, it wouldn't start. Pull start or ignition switch. Then, in the cold, it would start, and run but I couldn't use the throttle or it would die. It was all electrical related. I sold it to my step-dad and he wrecked it on his first outing with it.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That was a long way to say...check the battery.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My 500 was flawless, I just wanted power steering. Even after it sat the entire time I was deployed to Afghanistan, came home and it fired right up. We'll see what the dealership says about this one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've been wanting a Yamaha Grizzly pretty bad the last few years. I'm probably going to get a new wheeler by fall, but even the Yamaha's are having issues. And they're usually bullet proof!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well this is fun. Took it in a little early for its 100 mile service and the starting issue. They said it started fine every time for them, but they added injector cleaner and did some other small thing. I rode it around for about a minute then shut it off before loading it in the truck just to test it out. Go to start it again, won't start. Get the service guy, show them, they see it for themselves. Here we are a week later, I call to get an update and they say they can't duplicate the problem and it starts every time for them. Was told they're going to "work" on it more today and they clearly want it out of their shop. If they don't do anything, the damn thing isn't fixed and it will do it again to me - probably when I'm however many miles up the mountain checking my game cam. I don't want it back after a certain amount of time, I want it back when it is fixed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it doesn't want to start, do any of the lights come on and does the gauge work (if it has one)?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
All of the normal lights come on. Instrument panel, headlights if I turn those on as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like one will just have to luck into its specific character. I have 4 chains saws. What works on starting 3 of them will flood the 4th. Took lots of permutations and combinations of effort, but if I have to go to the 4th saw, I can successfully get it going now. Good luck,

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do lemon laws apply to quads?

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of the normal lights come on. Instrument panel, headlights if I turn those on as well.
Are there any clicks or noises when you try and start it and it won't?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Every time it is the same as the video in the first post, unless I give it gas - even though it is fuel injected

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Only time my '08 KQ has failed to start was on a REALLY heavy frost morning. When the humidity went down and the frost cleared off it started fine. On the frosty AM the "EFI" light came on and didn't do its regular clicking noises prior to start up, completely dead. Battery was completely charged. Never had a problem I could relate to hot or cold, just frost......

Last edited by horse1; 08/17/17.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Still in the shop, over a month later. Said they're replacing some air temp sensors or something like that - two different ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Still in the shop, over a month later. Said they're replacing some air temp sensors or something like that - two different ones.

That sounds like high tech talk for 'we don't know'

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
And it didn't work. Finally called Suzuki to try and get them to help out with it. [bleep] thing

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rocky Mountain cycle Plaza or Apex?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It's at Rocky Mountain

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Although fuel injected, it isn't uncommon to have to give it just a pinch on the throttle. After running awhile, it usually isn't hard to start then, is it?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It gets harder to start after running it. Never dies on me, but once I shut it off, doesn't like to come back on.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Suzuki is giving me 2 years of extended warranty for all this hassle. Dealer found it has a bad injector that isn't spraying right and leaking when I shut it off, which is why it has starting issues. Hopefully this fixes it finally.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
At least Zuk gave me 2 additional years of warranty. Air sensor, water temp sensor, injector, now stator assembly since it isn't producing correct voltage. 11 weeks so far

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Screw the extra 2 years. Get rid of that pile. See if there is a lemon law on wheelers.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think there is in Colorado for it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suzuki has very good warranty service in my experience. I don't think their machines are as good, overall, as some of the others. Electronics and fuel injection systems seem to confound many of the ATV engineers, at least in the early iterations.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Holy [bleep]! I finally got it back and it works! My last KQ was flawless, hopefully this one will be from here out

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I pulled one of those up the bank out of a shallow creek crossing once, with my HONDA fourtrax 300. Yeah, the guy was embarrassed. $10,000 Suzuki wouldn't jump up the bank but ol' Roy's little Honda sure did. Also rode in circles around him while he dug that pig out of the snow once. I heckled him pretty good. Wonder he still rides with me. Man that thing will sling the sheit though, don't ride behind one if the operator has a heavy throttle finger!

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My wife's 400 is doing the exact same thing. Check to see if the spark plug is wet. If not, its either the EFI or something wrong with fuel delivery. I am taking her's in this weekend. But the SAME DAMN PROBLEM. Ran fine a few weeks ago. now this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone know where I could get a new carb for a older King Quad 300( 280cc)?

Its a Mikuni BST 31SS

Last edited by tomk; 10/18/17. Reason: correction to CC

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by semi
My wife's 400 is doing the exact same thing. Check to see if the spark plug is wet. If not, its either the EFI or something wrong with fuel delivery. I am taking her's in this weekend. But the SAME DAMN PROBLEM. Ran fine a few weeks ago. now this.

There were a couple issues with mine, but the main culprit was the stator assembly - just wasn't providing enough juice... or so they tell me. Either way, it works now.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[bleep] this damn thing. It worked great about a dozen times around the house. Up on the mountain, almost stranded me 11 miles back an ATV trail. Then when I got home, wouldn't start at all for three days. Contacted Zuk again, dealership came to pick it up. Before I talked to them that day I tried to start it and it wouldn't. When they were on their way I thought to myself I bet this bitch starts, which it did, very roughly. WTF Zuk? Now I just want to get rid of the damn thing.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What a shame......sorry to hear about all the trouble. If it were me, (and it ain't) I'd trip that thing tomorrow morning for another (Honda) brand.

Good luck man........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trade that POS in on a Honda.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tell them to replace it with another new one...of another make if they carry others.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Now they replaced the ECU... wonder whats next lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the bird I took into Iraq in '03. Seems we replaced about everything but the data tag for the first 2 months we were there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,122
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.