-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess it makes sense because some of the ground dwelling squirrels are but I'd have never guessed Fox Squirrels are carnivores until I saw one eating one of his relatives that a Hawk I accidentally spooked abandoned.
The hawk that had just killed a Squirrel right below my deck and then took off when I went outside early this morning. When I went back out about noon there was another Squirrel chowing down on it's head. I checked on him couple of other times in the afternoon and he was still there chowing down.

Learn something new every day.

Oh....and I also lost my appetite for Squirrel.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Used to have a pet groundhog that loved meat-especially hot dogs,also ice cream.About the only green stuff he would eat was lettuce and clover.I know squirrel's will rob bird nest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I learned something new today too.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Maybe depends on available food locally. Old wives tale said boar squirrels would visit nest of newborn and castrate any male offspring.

I've seen birds pecking around the exit wound of fresh killed deer.

Seen yellow jacket wasp land on fresh skinned deer and suck "juice" from the flesh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had heard that they could eat their own especially the babies of other squirrels. It also reminded me of seeing a bald eagle eating on a dead deer. I didn't think of them as scavengers either.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm
I had heard that they could eat their own especially the babies of other squirrels. It also reminded me of seeing a bald eagle eating on a dead deer. I didn't think of them as scavengers either.
Bald eagles are huge scavengers , more like a pretty buzzard than anything else. Friends in Wva have a "boneyard " for deer carcasses, hogs or beef bones. Not unusual to run off 4-5 eagles every time you go by.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Squirrels raid bird nest in the spring and will eat baby birds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Animals will eat opportunistic food whenever it is found. Nature is cruel. Food is eat where every it is found and when it is found.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red squirrels in Alaska are the leading cause of mortality in leverets according to a very knowledgable trapper I know here. They kill them in their dens and like MOGC said, they raid nests for eggs. I've seen beaver eat meat as well.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu
I've seen beaver eat meat as well.

Too easy!!!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Gray squirrels will cannibalize each other. We had a pet rabbit that would eat dog kibble and fried chicken. Isn't there a video showing a doe eating a sparrow or something?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FG,

interesting story, thanks. I had heard of them killing young in the nests but never eating "carrion". Makes sense in a way though, as protein is valuable however one can get it.

Funny I just ran across this topic, I just texted my sister today about rabbits eating mulberries as there was one here eating the ones that had fallen on the driveway. She texted back that her kid's pet rabbits eat slugs even. She sees them eating them on the lawn when they are out of their cage

Don't let the anti's know, they'll be upset that their vegetarian/vegan animal friends are omnivores. They just might have conniptions!

Mallards on the rivers out west here will eat on salmon carcasses too, so I always have a chuckle when I hear some guys say they only eat mallards 'cause they only eat plants.

Hope you're enjoying this cooler weather,

Geno

PS, the slug eating has not changed my mind about eating rabbits though!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That was right in the middle of an awfully hard winter Geno.
While the local Rabbits were eating my Rose bushes and Junipers the Squirrel was surviving on kin.
Like I said...."hard winter".....Donner Party hard.... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm

Just remember our early ancestors did the same thing, thus really nothing has changed. [bleep] have been observed doing the same thing except they go out and kill for it.
Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 06/15/17.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer and cattle will eat meat also.

How's your appetite now? grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Deer and cattle will eat meat also.

How's your appetite now? grin

I feel the same way about that as I do when my dogs eat horse/cow chit.
I don't care as long as I don't have to see it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Squirrel eating a dove.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.