Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am not a Berger user but have 0 issues with the folks using them since I've seen enough of people killing the heck out of stuff.

I have shot a bunch of elk and deer along with seeing a lot of the others I hunt with and getting exits on elk with Partitions, Accubond, Bitterroots, Sciroccos and similar isn't a guarantee and to be honest hasn't affected the outcome for us. Two holes is okay by me, but I'll gladly trade a widely expanded bullet that is wadded up in the skin on the far side knowing it probably left everything churned up pretty good.

Exits on elk are pretty tough to guarantee if you kill enough of them. But one or two animals really doesn't make a sample size worth mentioning.

Semper Fi
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I love how you clown are convinced you know more than the bullet manufacturers about their bullets.

And yet you are convinced that you know more about Berger hunting bullets than Berger does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Having said this,using a 225 grain Nosler partition led to a long tracking job on a 170 pound whitetail buck,and I can promise you it had an exit wound.

The one animal I've lost had two holes in it - in and out. At the start it left the Biggest blood trail I'd ever seen - thick stripes 2-3" wide and 2-3 feet long. We were sure the cow would be down behind the next stand of scrub oak or sage. Nope. Followed it over the crest of one hill, across a valley and over the top of the next peak. Lost the trail completely about 150 yards from a fence line. as dark approached. Went back the next morning and had no better luck.

Exit holes don't guarantee anything. Have had quite few with no exits but never lost one of them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cast10K
I love how you clown are convinced you know more than the bullet manufacturers about their bullets.

And yet you are convinced that you know more about Berger hunting bullets than Berger does.

And another thing that is wrong is saying Nosler would automatically recommend an Accubond over a Ballistic Tip.. I have spoken to quite a few of their techs over the years and sorta why I loaded the 180 Ballistic Tip for my buddy in his 300 Weatherby, cause Nosler said they would be fine.. This sorta stuff could make a guy confused on what really works and what works in someones head..

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

And another thing that is wrong is...

Correcting everything that is wrong in his posts would be a full-time job...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Point taken... grin

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Or drive someone to drinking....heavily.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So your argument is, since even the A-frame did not exit......the frangible VLD is a better application on heavier-boned game?

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The goal isn't to have a "high percentage" of animals recovered. It's to recover all of them. Without a good exit wound, there's no way you can be sure of that. An exit wound also speeds the animal "dropping" since it facilitates blood loss.

I have yet to hear a single reason why one would want to use the failure prone Bergers instead of the many reliable bullets that are readily available.

Used a 270 gr Swift A-Frame from my .375 H&H on this blue wildebeest and the bullet did not exit. The shot was around 100-125 yds away.
[Linked Image]

Guess we were lucky to even recover it,since there was no exit wound for it to bleed out from.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The argument is even if you agree with Bob's choice in bullets his reasoning against the Bergers is laden with bunk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The other argument is, shoot what you want and what works for you and be happy with your choice. But don't run down others' choices because they don't work like you think a bullet is supposed to work based on what the "ideal bullet" was 50 years ago.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's the problem....we're voluntarily going back to the frangible cup & core bullets we had to use 50 years ago.

Friends don't let friends shoot VLD's at big game.

Originally Posted by smokepole
The other argument is, shoot what you want and what works for you and be happy with your choice. But don't run down others' choices because they don't work like you think a bullet is supposed to work based on what the "ideal bullet" was 50 years ago.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're as clueless as llama knob.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
That's the problem....we're voluntarily going back to the frangible cup & core bullets we had to use 50 years ago.

Friends don't let friends shoot VLD's at big game.

Originally Posted by smokepole

VLD's don't function terminally like standard C&C bullets. How many Bergers have you shot into game? Curious if your dislike for them is based on a tally of unfavourable experience, or theory only.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So your argument is, since even the A-frame did not exit......the frangible VLD is a better application on heavier-boned game?

The goal isn't to have a "high percentage" of animals recovered. It's to recover all of them. Without a good exit wound, there's no way you can be sure of that. An exit wound also speeds the animal "dropping" since it facilitates blood loss.

I have yet to hear a single reason why one would want to use the failure prone Bergers instead of the many reliable bullets that are readily available.

Used a 270 gr Swift A-Frame from my .375 H&H on this blue wildebeest and the bullet did not exit. The shot was around 100-125 yds away.
[Linked Image]

Guess we were lucky to even recover it,since there was no exit wound for it to bleed out from.

Nope,you do not need an exit wound to kill big game.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If we did, we'd all be using solids for everything.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If we did, we'd all be using solids for everything.

Or just use TSX's. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Phugging-A, I just browsed through all this bull chit. Pick a flocking bullet and go hunt.Taking an internet poll on what to use is akin asking a stranger what girl to marry. Elk are mythically tough, but in reality give up the ghost pretty quickly.

Read Pat's 4 points carefully (scenarshooter), glue them to your forehead, and repeat often.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not an answer to my question, but a phenomenally fantastic diversion attempt. 10/10

[Linked Image]

Nope,you do not need an exit wound to kill big game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike have you killed anything with Bergers? Or "target" bullets? Or an elk?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well then enlighten us - with my 175gr A-Frames in 7mm, I've always gotten expansion and always gotten an exit wound. 100%. With Bergers, I've NEVER seen one produce an exit wound unless the bullet failed to expand at all. I've never even seen a picture of the mythical one that worked right.

130 grain VLD out of a .260

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.