Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I tried that ringworm and it's a good idea... back when I did some bow hunting I once used some skunk scent as a masking scent, REAL skunk pee, But how are you supposed to know if the deer can't smell both you and the skunk?...maybe if you find a skunk following you around all day? That stuff should be outlawed! ....Anyway, I'm looking for another method cause I wanna stay married....

When I used skunk scent -- I put it on a drag rag then took the string off a few yards away from me.

Jerry

Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Those PA bucks are sure smart. They can tell a lot about a hunter by his scent. My advice is to go down to your local PETA office and steal a coat outta the cloakroom. Wear it to your stand. Those wiley ol' bucks won't be a-scared-ed at all because they will recognize the smell of an animal lover. They can be fooled......

I used to hunt with a lesbian, that really fooled 'em.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have gone in, at times in 10 degree weather, in just a T-Shirt, underwear and rubber boots with no socks, carrying my heavier stuff and socks, etc., and still always end up in a lather of sweat...I

...TD

That would be an interesting Deer hunting story back at camp. " Boys, this guy came past me this morning and....."

Anyway, your Pa Deer must have better sniffers than mine. Almost all my hunting clothes-in fact all-smell of Dogs, sometimes Redman, coffee, peanut butter and who knows what else. Probably a little gasoline and the inside of Sheetz on most mornings. I stumble across some nice Pa Bucks given two weeks time. Perhaps they stumble across me. You know, "Better lucky than good." Only tip I can give you is it seems the more time I spend out during the two weeks, the luckier I get. But if you are going to be going in practically naked, I'd suggest you pay extra attention to cleaning up after your AM dump. That and a clean crotch. Good luck.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was messing around with a Deer a couple nights ago. It knew I was there and was giving me the head bob. Then I started on a loud bleat call like I was a Fawn being taken down. Twice that Deer came within 15-20 feet of me stamping her feet. She finally moved off to around 40yards and just looked. I had a Dog with me. Go figure.

Last edited by battue; 07/08/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
luck has a lot to do with killing a big trophy.

Luck has almost everything to do with killing a big trophy. wink

You mentioned it's "thick, rugged country". I've found that when hunting thick cover, deer are more apt to turn DEFCON 5 when it's brush/foliage I've come in contact with than they are my tracks. As well, there's a good chance that where you're hunting is a bedding area or close to it. I've also noticed deer being "fussier" in these areas than any other.

Given your description, I'd tell you not to sweat it much. It seems you're able to witness this activity which tells me if the deer you're looking for shows himself, it's already too late for him. If you get the one doe in that area that insists on creating a scene and refusing to vacate the premises, well, that's what that doe tag in your pocket is for. whistle

I've fiddled a lot with scents over the years but anymore I prefer to hunt clean. I know some guys have luck with lures and cover up scents (and I've had some myself) but I've also witnessed it doing more harm than good. My success on mature deer has gone up considerably when keeping it simple - hunt clean and always, ALWAYS hunt the wind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd fill up my backpack with corn and Hansel and Gretel it on the way in.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Things I don't understand about the situation. You go in early for two miles, on public land. Can only see around 120 yards max. After you arrive on stand, let's say perfectly scentless, you never are and it sounds like you are there for the day-first big mistake if you have a choice IMO-how do you know how many unclean heathens like me have fouled your perfect backtrail for two miles back? How many have left the Deer going this way and that from being spooked by human scent? How long do Deer remember the direction and projected destination of the various humans whose paths they cross? Are they still worrying about it an hour later? If so, again your Pa Deer are different than mine. I've busted Deer out of their bed. They usually run off a little, most times very little, especially in really thick country, look back, and then go about their current business. Sometimes they even come back in a short time to where they were bumped. (I really like to bump Deer in the course of a day. The more I bump the more I like it and there is a good reason for it.) smile

After you get on stand, sweated up as you admit, what do you think happens to that stink sweat cone you have brought with you? You think it is covered up when you finally get dressed for the day?

Questions????

When we used to drive Deer a highwall was often a good stand to not only shoot but to observe Deer behavior. Here come the Deer and a little later the smelly drivers. Then all of sudden the Deer are behind the drivers and they go on doing what they not so long ago were previously doing. Sometimes the drivers never knew they pushed them out. I'd love to have had the opportunity on the Bucks that have let me pass by within good shooting distance. They were watching me, but I never saw them. Sometimes I even smelled them.

Addition: A rifle that can reach out-120yards is usually more than adequate-is the best scent cover I know of. Scent control is much more of a problem for the bow hunters.

Last edited by battue; 07/09/17.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That'd be a pretty grimm way to hunt alright.

John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Brother, that's a good one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 1/2 mile walk into my farthest stand. It's mostly level ground. However, over the years, I've been in just the situation you describe. For the past 15 seasons, I've not had a problem with backtrail busts. I attribute my success to my shamanic baking soda method.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method

It is not original. I found this method about 30+ years ago in a magazine. This was before all the hoopla about scent control products. Scent Control in those days was still not accepted, and those who practiced it were doing it on a DIY basis.

You're on the right track with keeping your outer layers off until you get in the stand. I use a nylon duffel bag with straps. It is important to eschew sweating at all costs. It buggers up your scent control and it can lead to hypothermia.

About a decade ago, I started studying the various catechisms associated with deer hunting. One of them was rubber boots. It dawned on me that rubber boots, even ones a decade old, can still be reeking of Naptha. Why don't the deer smell the Naptha? It's like the gas in your ATV and the oil in your gun-- deer aren't supposed to smell those either. Right?

What I found was that a modicum of personal hygiene and the use of baking soda did far more than rubber boots. A little dusting of baking soda before use and a little pinch in your socks were all that was necessary. I also stopped using heavily insulated boots, because they made my feet sweat when I was getting to the stand. Instead, I use boot blankets that I put on after I'm in the stand. They do a much better job. I wore insulated leather uppers for a decade. I'm now wearing Nylon.

Bottom line: use baking soda. Shower. Keep your outer layers bagged up until you need them. Don't sweat.

Success stories? I've had big bucks coming down my backtrail less than an hour from my passing and were oblivious. I've also seen deer find my footsteps in the grass, stop, smell the spot and then wag their tail. Until very recently, I had taken all of my big bucks at close range with a bow or rifle. Some were from the ground.

In regards to cover scents, I used to be a major consumer of things like fox urine, skunk urine, and the like. I don't think it did me any good. When I went to the baking soda, I tried to be as scent free as possible. The results were remarkable. With cover scents, the deer begin to associate the stink with hunter. You may think you're being sly, but you're not. You will be surprised when you try baking soda and find out what it is like to reduce your scent profile dramatically.

In regards to Fart-lok suits: I spent the better part of a decade debunking that crap. For hunters who still believe an over-priced rainsuit will help them kill deer, I'm selling an anti-telepathy hat and cover-scent gum.

One other thing: You did not mention what type of stand you have. Self-climbers are a huge problem when it comes to scent control, and especially if you carry it in and set it up each hunt. My success improved dramatically when I switched to pre-positioned metal ladder stands. I always find, no matter how hard I try, that I break a sweat getting into a stand, but climbing a ladder seems to be the least taxing. With self-climbers, I was usually soaked in sweat when I got to my proper height. I mention this, because I started carrying my outer layers in a bag about a decade before I switched to ladder stands.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Yes, but that's another story.....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Yes, but that's another story.....

[Linked Image]

John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman

Shamanic Baking Soda Method

Success stories? I've had big bucks coming down my backtrail less than an hour from my passing and were oblivious. I've also seen deer find my footsteps in the grass, stop, smell the spot and then wag their tail. Until very recently, I had taken all of my big bucks at close range with a bow or rifle. Some were from the ground.

You're aware that wasn't a happy Dog glad to see you tail wag?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've told this story before but the biggest buck I ever killed on public land in VA was the year my buddy put his kerosene heater in the back of the truck. All of our gear was back there under a tarp including hunting clothes in duffel bags. The kerosene heater leaked and everything in the back of the truck reeked including our clothes. That year I was especially conscious of the wind.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not to be a knuckle head, but I'd find another spot. If you can't get there without stinking it up and blowing deer out of there, there has to be somewhere else.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
T-

It really isn't all that difficult if the piece of property is big enough. You go in and make as little noise and disturbance as possible. In this case get up in your tree and keep your eyes open. You are going to spook some going in and out. No one seems concerned about leaving. Someone walking around you is going to spook some. The vast majority of Pa Deer cross paths with people and hunters on an almost regular basis. They don't shut down because some people happen to be around. Stick with where the Does hang out, spend your time and sooner or later the Boys will show. Big one? Who knows? Know a guy who kills a big one during archery most every year on the same piece of property. He kills Bucks others rarely see there. A place where they run Motorcross and 4-wheeler events once a month. Maybe a couple hundred people on a weekend. There are racers, campers and those who just come to watch. The noise is wearing your plugs level. The bikes are running thru the woods. It's nuts. Come evening, when it is over for the day, the Deer are in the fields. You would think they would leave. They don't....

Addition: Just let the Dog out and there were some yard Deer there. He put them over the hill and into the woods. They were down there snorting over and over. They didn't leave, they are maybe a hundred yards away and will be back. Probably tonight. Tomorrow for sure.

Last edited by battue; 07/09/17.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago there was a magazine article about animal reaction to scent according to what the hunter had been eating. They found that a week or so of no meat eating kept the hunter from smelling like a predator, and didn't spook the deer nearly as much as a meat-eating hunter's scent.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

You're aware that wasn't a happy Dog glad to see you tail wag?

Well, with some of my doe, it's hard to tell what is going through their head sometimes. In this case, what I suspect was that she was curious at first. Here was a big old boot print in her path. She was in a little lane that opens into a narrow pasture to the north of my luxury box at Midway. I'd gone through that way on my way to the stand. My guess is she stuck her nose down in there to see what had made the print. For a moment she froze, and then resumed her course, twitching her tail as she went.

My interpretation is that she was seriously considering the print, but there was so little human scent she disregarded its import. The tail flicking was of a sort that would indicate she was back at ease. You can't help the smell crushed grass makes when you step on it, but you can reduce your own personal stink enough so the deer don't bust you.

My point in bringing it up was that here was an instance where a deer actually did find my backtrail, but there was enough scent to cause her alarm. I'd made the print less than an hour before. That same instance, if I'd been out hiking about a month earlier without minding my scent would have caused her to go on alert.

MInd you, in a remote place with a mature buck, the animal might have taken off for the next county. However, the Trans-Bluegrass is a heavily hunted region. Deer and humans live side-by-side.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My interpretation would have been she did go on alert. The tail wag was a signal to every Deer that could see it. She didn't panic, but she knew you had been there recently. Did a Buck in the back take another trail because of it? Nobody knows. Tail flicking and tail flairing may be two different signals. One I'm always sure of, the other I'm not. Tail flicking while browsing, I'm going this way. Tail flick after she smelled your track? Maybe a subtle difference in the flick.

I don't get worked up as much as others about scent. All the examples they give of fooling a Deers nose, I can reply the same. I have had more Deer than I can remember, walk into my scent cone with the wind at my back and either ignore me or stop and stare. Others, I'm sure have busted. I hear them snorting out there and there is obviously a reason why. Best guess is they smelled me. Point is they are still in the immediate vicinity. They didn't leave the county. I think, you just made a mistake, for now I know you are close by.

Still hunting as much as I do, I can't keep the wind in my face all the time. If I can I take advantage, if I can't I don't worry about it. In addition Deer are often curious creatures. I've called them in, waved them in with a handkerchief, stomped them in closer by imitating their foot pound. Bobbed my head back at them to keep them wondering. Fun stuff.

Last edited by battue; 07/10/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In this case, I'm pretty certain she relaxed her guard. This was the same sort of contented flicking you see while feeding. Either way, she didn't panic and run off or start stomping and snorting.

I agree with you about not getting all that worked up about scent, but in this case the fellow has deer busting him on his backtrail. He's obviously leaving something behind that is honking the deer off.

I've had the opportunity to test a bunch of ideas regarding this. For instance, how much baking soda is really needed? What I found was the morning shower was the most important step, followed by the twice-daily change of clothes. On a week-long trip to camp, I have found that airing-out for a day does almost as much good as wearing fresh clothes, but not quite. Not taking a shower is an almost guaranteed bust unless I'm in an enclosed blind. I have a fresh change of polypro underwear for a week. The next layer out I rotate on 3-day basis. The outer layer, the insulated bibs and coat and such, are aired-out and then stored overnight in a bin, salted with sodium bicarb.

When all is fresh and clean, I can be upwind from a deer at 10 yards and they will not respond. On a bad day, with no thought to scent reduction, I can be busted at 70 yards with the wind in my favor.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.