Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Basic deer hunting is don't walk in from the direction you expect to see deer. How do you plan on killing big deer when you are spooking the little ones? If you can't access the stand without blowing it out, it isn't a good stand.

BP-B2

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
We have 600 acres in Woodville MS, hunting pressure is our biggest problem. It took us years to learn this. NOISE is bad for our property. We stopped using 4 wheelers during deer season, except to remove a dead deer that is deep in the woods. We bought a old quiet 4 wheel drive truck and everyone gets put out via the truck. It has made a huge difference. You keep making constant noise on our place AND you will see/kill small young bucks only BTDT.

As for scent, I agree with Skane, I have used all kinds of scents and the last 12 years I just hunt as clean as I can. That includes scent control at the camp, my hunting gear and clothes don't stay in the camp with all the food smells etc...

Also I use knee high Rubber boots only, and for cold weather I put on boot blankets.

And last, ALWAYS hunt the wind, never get in a stand with a bad wind and funk up the area.

You boys need to quit wearing those white boots. The deer see 'em. Get them green ones.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by a12
We have 600 acres in Woodville MS, hunting pressure is our biggest problem. It took us years to learn this. NOISE is bad for our property. We stopped using 4 wheelers during deer season, except to remove a dead deer that is deep in the woods. We bought a old quiet 4 wheel drive truck and everyone gets put out via the truck. It has made a huge difference. You keep making constant noise on our place AND you will see/kill small young bucks only BTDT.

As for scent, I agree with Skane, I have used all kinds of scents and the last 12 years I just hunt as clean as I can. That includes scent control at the camp, my hunting gear and clothes don't stay in the camp with all the food smells etc...

Also I use knee high Rubber boots only, and for cold weather I put on boot blankets.

And last, ALWAYS hunt the wind, never get in a stand with a bad wind and funk up the area.

You boys need to quit wearing those white boots. The deer see 'em. Get them green ones.

LOL I do my yard work in our White Rubber Boots. We call those Shrimp boots

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Ayee!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What do average height people wear?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Snow doesn't hold scent as well as bare ground.

I've hunted moose in conditions such as you describe - and they are basically just a 10X whitetail. I've had a cow (visible from my tree stand) follow my trail for a half-mile, nose down, only to stop immediately under my stand, looking puzzled as to where the trail went. The last bull I killed on the Kenai Peninsula was standing with his nose down in the trail I had left from my tree stand, after he thought I'd left. I had, but I came back, as he had stubbornly refused to come in for several hours before, so I noisily left, trying to imitate the sounds a bull would make. And came back the same way, a bit quieter (not grunting as i had when i left), not sneaking back but still in "moose-mode" walk pattern. He was definately trying to puzzle out my trail. Fooled him! Both cases I was as scentless as I could get...

I've had a number of moose cut my trail and go the other way, also, when I wasn't as scentless as I could have been.

And I have had moose come in from downwind (they nearly always circle to get the wind on you), to 15 feet or so on ground stands, and stand there looking for me (I was calling), but only under very scentless condition. Which cannot be 100% of course. I know way more about moose bellies than is really necessary! I once wandered along WITHIN a group of 5-9 cows and at least 4 bulls of a pre-rut group, never more than 20 yards from a moose, and never out of sight of at least 1 moose, for over an hour and a mile covered Now that was a blast! Besides being as scentless as possible (we had hiked in over a mile, slowly, pre-dawn), every time one gave me the eye, I'd fake being being a funny looking young bull by holding walking staff and a shoulder blade (previous kill) up to either side of my head with a bull grunt. No doubt being one of many relaxed their wariness. I joke that they just forgot who all they had invited to the orgy.

What I have found to be effective is not cover scents, but scent control in the way of the hunting specialty scent killers - both body and clothing. Not regular soaps and detergents. And treat the hell out of your hunting clothes, both sides, let them dry, outside, put them in a plastic bag with natural vegetation of the area (I use spruce twigs and needles). Do NOT dry or bring them inside the house before use.

You might try that if you are not already. Bathe just before you leave home, use scent killer heavily on the clothes you are wearing in, as well as the stuff you are putting on, go slowly so as not to work up a sweat, and, if scent from your ground stand is part of the problem, undress, wipe down with scent killer towelettes, change ALL your clothes and put them in a plastic bag. I laugh when I see on these outdoor shows Dilberts giving themselves a couple squirts and pretending they are reducing .....Soak those clothes with scent killer, and let them dry outside, and keep them outside. Good for one hunt, maybe two if you don't sweat much. Treat those rubber (or whatever) boots the same way. You might try spraying them with doe urine as well. You won't be able to eliminate all "foreign" scent, but reducing/confusing it may be enough.

You might also not eat spicy foods/smoke for several days before hand. Your breath is a major source of scent from the stand, as wel. I've also read chlorophyll tablets will cut one's scent signature, but don't know about that. And as said before, try to avoid brushing against vegetation - if necessary do a little pre-season (and unobtrusive as possible) trail clearing. Start earlier, go slower. I see no reason why walking a mere 2 miles, with a light pack, should work up a sweat. Allow at least an hour, up to two would be better

Last edited by las; 08/02/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I 've only observed one deer that I was certain had picked up my scent trail. I had just set up a ladder stand, and climbed into it to watch for a bit (this was some weeks before the season). A decent (for Adams County, PA) buck came in on the same path I'd followed, and he clearly was nosing the ground where I walked. Far from being alarmed, he proceeded to do a little bush chewing right in front of me. I'm pretty sure he was the same deer I killed there on opening day. There's a big difference, I think, in the way deer react to scent and noise under ordinary circumstances and when hunters are tromping the woods. A deer that's been bumped around a bit is going to react more than one that's undisturbed.

That same afternoon there was a squirrel futzing around in front of me on the ground. A barred owl landed on a straight dead branch overlooking the squirrel, and he picked me up immediately. He'd look at me, then the squirrel, then back at me, all the while walking back and forth on that branch just like a parrot on a perch. He finally decided on discretion and left. Pretty sure the squirrel never saw a thing. Stuff like this is usually missed by nature lovers that stay on the move and never sit down (and still) long enough for the woods around them to settle down.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why don't you go in the day before and camp out at your stand

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image]

Ayee!

Where'd you get that pic of Tanner and Starsky??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Why don't you go in the day before and camp out at your stand

Or the week before

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by smokepole

laugh laugh laugh

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drag a dead animal behind you to the stand to cover your scent

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by a12

Bay Ropers

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know if I commented earlier, but some stands just will not work. There is a reason there are deer there too....just move away from it and catch em somewhere else.

If you can't get in without them realizing it, then they'll know you are there once there... IE the zip line kind of thing.

Plus you can't win em all....

Wind is your best bet. And terrain and thermals and wind just simply mean you can't hunt some areas.

I have one here... there is NO way to hunt it in the morning. Yet in the evening you can kill a good deer. Just that the deer are thick in there after midnight for some reason. I don't waste mornings anymore spooking them..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hunt MD and WV. Private property in both states. Two farms owned by friends, one is 160 acres with a golf course on one side, the other is 150 acres with farms all around, in MD. Both have people about all day. I have 30 acres and my cousin has 120 joining mine, in WV. People always about all day. I noticed locals walking the fence lines and deer would bolt, run in a big circle like a rabbit, and eventually come back to their bed. People would pee on trees or rocks or whatever. I've seen a deer walk up and sniff a tree someone peed on, didn't disappear, kept on with it's business. There are so many people around that I don't see the deer paying that much attention. I used to sneak into my stand before day light, then freeze my butt off waiting for the sun to come up. Now I just walk to my stand, not trying to make noise, but not trying to sneak either. Just walk in, get up in my stand, then be still and quiet. I usually get a buck in each state, that's all I want. One of the guys that used to hunt at my cousins would go out to a local bar till it closed, get up late, tromp to his stand, and start chain smoking, and he usually had the first deer. In 45 years of hunting I've shot three 8 pointers and one ten, probably 100 spikes and forks. I'm not opposed to shooting big horns, but I do want meat in the freezer so I generally shoot the first legal one I see. All that being said, they do tend to keep their nose to the wind as rost495 said. I've been hunting the same stand in WV since I was 18, I'm 61 now. Have moved a few yards this way and that over the years but still with in 50 yards of where I started. I also like open woods with at least 100 yard lanes. I've shot a few out to 120 yards in the woods, but most are more like 40-50 yards. The longer shots they don't know you are there, just browsing along. Maybe it's just a good spot, there always seem to be deer there, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its a totally different story if they are USED to humans and human scent.... thats a given obviously.

They don't bother much at home, where they see/smell us all the time and we even walk Tiger by them at times and they just stare from 20-30 yards away or just run off a bit ot the brush...

OTOH if you are hunting an area where they are not used to humans and scent, its a bad thing to be a human and smell like one.

I kinda figure anyone can kill a deer in areas they are used to humans. There usually are not many days in our 110 days or so of season, that we don't see a legal deer around the house.... even if Tiger is barking at it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
30 productive years at the same deer stand --- I can't understand why you are worried about your back trail. Hike in before season with bear proof canisters . Stockpile food and water. Day or two before opening day hike in with one man tent. Spend a week. No back trail--------- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you've got it figgered out.

I've had a couple stands I used year after year. Opening day, it's kind of like going home.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
By the way Treemutt, congrats on you getting "back in" and working for your game.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.