24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Pulled radiator and replaced", replaced old one or installed new, not clear to me? Is the a/c condenser full of debris, blocking airflow? How hard to pull thermostat? Try running without theromstat. Just because something is new, don't mean it works.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB2

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's a new aftermarket OEM spec radiator, as mentioned I wish I would have just spent the extra 100.00 on a double row radiator vs the single stack.

Condenser is in pretty good shape with no debris as I cleaned that out the first time I had the radiator out. Heat & A/C are working normal.

I've replaced the thermostat twice, the thermostat isn't terrible to pull other than the lower radiator hose is a bit*ch to get back on.

Life is just one damned thing after another
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Someone on a jeep forum (you guys have been more help) said "it has to be a bad head gasket".

I've replaced a few head gaskets and this one has no symptoms. Pressure test is good, nothing in the oil, nothing out of ordinary coming out of the exhaust. Not gassing out of the radiator and not leaking a drop anywhere, nor is the coolant level changing. Also seems to be running great and each exhaust port is within 10 degree of one another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can not find a malfunction in the engine, I'd check the reporting sensor and reading gauge. Wouldn't be the first sensor to go bad.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I deal a bit with instrumentation. If your temp sensor or gauge is going bad, I would be extremely surprised if that resulted in a false high reading. If it's going bad I'd expect the reading to either be all over the map, or it would read nothing at all.

Take it out for a drive, once it starts reading high pull over, pop the hood and take ir temp readings to find the source.

IC B2

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I deal a bit with instrumentation. If your temp sensor or gauge is going bad, I would be extremely surprised if that resulted in a false high reading. If it's going bad I'd expect the reading to either be all over the map, or it would read nothing at all.

Take it out for a drive, once it starts reading high pull over, pop the hood and take ir temp readings to find the source.

I believe the same thing in regards to the instrumentation and in regards to the 2nd part - I did, hence where the readings came from that I posted above.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cal74
Someone on a jeep forum (you guys have been more help) said "it has to be a bad head gasket".

I've replaced a few head gaskets and this one has no symptoms. Pressure test is good, nothing in the oil, nothing out of ordinary coming out of the exhaust. Not gassing out of the radiator and not leaking a drop anywhere, nor is the coolant level changing. Also seems to be running great and each exhaust port is within 10 degree of one another.

It's not an uncommon problem on the 4.7 v8s. Like I said my parents was doing exactly what you described for a couple of years before it finally got worse. The mechanic I mentioned earlier has spent his life working on Jeeps and has owned a couple of 4.7 v8 WJ's. If it's a cracked head gasket, depending on the severity of the crack I could see it exhibiting exactly what you're describing.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Might want to do two tests. One is an analysis of your oil and one for exhaust gases in the coolant.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Coolant test kits can be gotten at any major auto parts store.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
4.7 L are notorious.
Heads/gaskets and pistons/bearings.

Wheelers with V8s often put in hood vents to help w air flow.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/23/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had an 04 GC w 6 cyl.
Hated that thing.

Much prefer the older ZJ version.
Both of mine were 5.2L

Last edited by hookeye; 07/23/17.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.