Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Just got my copy from JB and am only on Chapter 12 so far but I can already recommend it extremely highly! If you are paying attention, and particularly relatively new or inexperienced to the sport you can learn a TON from this book! Also, I know John well and it is written pretty much in the style with which he converses, and since he did his own editing it remains pretty pure Barsness! Cant wait to get into the African Chapters! This is an EXCELLENT read! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yes it is.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, guys!

Tom, Eileen edited the book--but unlike some magazine editors I've worked for, she retains my style when editing my stuff!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine should be here this week. Can't wait!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Got mine yesterday.

Most impressive hunting and gun book I've ever read.

It is superb in every regard and I'm delighted I ordered mine.

You can skip ordering yours at your own regret.

Steve

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you like it, Steve! You hunting in the west this year?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I would like to get one. MD, what would be the best/proper way or channel to get one? Always up for a great book on guns and hunting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just googled "John Barsness Books" and his website came up. Right below Amazon.com, of course, which is just a sign of the times....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

John,

I lost the ranch in Wyoming that I hunted on. The couple who owned the ranch turned it over to a grand daughter who turned the hunting over to professional guides.

I'm grateful for the time I did hunt there. Got a lot of antelope and mule deer and quite a few elk. Also shot prairie dogs in the Spring and Summer.

Best regards to Eileen and you.

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ordered mine a couple days ago, looking forward to reading it.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zengela,

Aside from a very few local Montana stores, we sell all our books off our website, www.riflesandrecipes.com. To order with a credit card, you can use the site, or call 406-521-0273. Or you can send a check (or cash!) to Riflesandrecipes, PO Box 579, Townsend, MT 59644-0579. The price is $32, which (as with all our books) includes media-mail shipping in the U.S.

We sign all books, but also will include a special inscription at no charge. There's a place on the website for that as well.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Sorry to hear that. Have had the same thing happen with some of our spots over the years. But as you note, the prior years make for a lot of meat and memories!

John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Will do on next payday. I am off now this moment to go pickup my GB Rem 722 in 222 Rem. This summer, buying guns and books. To hot to go to the range when its 118 outside.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just got my copy from JB and am only on Chapter 12 so far but I can already recommend it extremely highly! If you are paying attention, and particularly relatively new or inexperienced to the sport you can learn a TON from this book! Also, I know John well and it is written pretty much in the style with which he converses, and since he did his own editing it remains pretty pure Barsness! Cant wait to get into the African Chapters! This is an EXCELLENT read! laugh

Is the infamous "butt-shot zebra" incident mentioned in this one as well? You may not want to be in such a hurry to get to the Africa chapters. Just sayin'. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Order placed. Thanks!

Do or do not, there is no try.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

Is the infamous "butt-shot zebra" incident mentioned in this one as well? You may not want to be in such a hurry to get to the Africa chapters. Just sayin'. grin

The zebra wasn't shot in the butt! cry

It was shot in the hip, angling forward to demonstrate to you and others the penetrating efficiency of a 175 grain 7x57...

( It did indeed range up into the vitals and killed the zebra within 200 yards)

The sun was in my eyes, the wind was blowing, I was sick, and had never shot a gun before..

There, that about covers it! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
With a stalk uphill, in the snow, bare foot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just ordered mine.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like another great book!

Where does one get a coupon that the web site mentions??

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seven Heaven,

The coupons are only available when there's a special sale, and there's no sale on right now. Eileen usually throws a couple sales a year, and when she does I mention it here.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.