Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Just got my copy from JB and am only on Chapter 12 so far but I can already recommend it extremely highly! If you are paying attention, and particularly relatively new or inexperienced to the sport you can learn a TON from this book! Also, I know John well and it is written pretty much in the style with which he converses, and since he did his own editing it remains pretty pure Barsness! Cant wait to get into the African Chapters! This is an EXCELLENT read! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yes it is.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, guys!

Tom, Eileen edited the book--but unlike some magazine editors I've worked for, she retains my style when editing my stuff!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine should be here this week. Can't wait!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Got mine yesterday.

Most impressive hunting and gun book I've ever read.

It is superb in every regard and I'm delighted I ordered mine.

You can skip ordering yours at your own regret.

Steve

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you like it, Steve! You hunting in the west this year?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I would like to get one. MD, what would be the best/proper way or channel to get one? Always up for a great book on guns and hunting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just googled "John Barsness Books" and his website came up. Right below Amazon.com, of course, which is just a sign of the times....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

John,

I lost the ranch in Wyoming that I hunted on. The couple who owned the ranch turned it over to a grand daughter who turned the hunting over to professional guides.

I'm grateful for the time I did hunt there. Got a lot of antelope and mule deer and quite a few elk. Also shot prairie dogs in the Spring and Summer.

Best regards to Eileen and you.

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ordered mine a couple days ago, looking forward to reading it.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zengela,

Aside from a very few local Montana stores, we sell all our books off our website, www.riflesandrecipes.com. To order with a credit card, you can use the site, or call 406-521-0273. Or you can send a check (or cash!) to Riflesandrecipes, PO Box 579, Townsend, MT 59644-0579. The price is $32, which (as with all our books) includes media-mail shipping in the U.S.

We sign all books, but also will include a special inscription at no charge. There's a place on the website for that as well.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Sorry to hear that. Have had the same thing happen with some of our spots over the years. But as you note, the prior years make for a lot of meat and memories!

John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Will do on next payday. I am off now this moment to go pickup my GB Rem 722 in 222 Rem. This summer, buying guns and books. To hot to go to the range when its 118 outside.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just got my copy from JB and am only on Chapter 12 so far but I can already recommend it extremely highly! If you are paying attention, and particularly relatively new or inexperienced to the sport you can learn a TON from this book! Also, I know John well and it is written pretty much in the style with which he converses, and since he did his own editing it remains pretty pure Barsness! Cant wait to get into the African Chapters! This is an EXCELLENT read! laugh

Is the infamous "butt-shot zebra" incident mentioned in this one as well? You may not want to be in such a hurry to get to the Africa chapters. Just sayin'. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Order placed. Thanks!

Do or do not, there is no try.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

Is the infamous "butt-shot zebra" incident mentioned in this one as well? You may not want to be in such a hurry to get to the Africa chapters. Just sayin'. grin

The zebra wasn't shot in the butt! cry

It was shot in the hip, angling forward to demonstrate to you and others the penetrating efficiency of a 175 grain 7x57...

( It did indeed range up into the vitals and killed the zebra within 200 yards)

The sun was in my eyes, the wind was blowing, I was sick, and had never shot a gun before..

There, that about covers it! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
With a stalk uphill, in the snow, bare foot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just ordered mine.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like another great book!

Where does one get a coupon that the web site mentions??

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seven Heaven,

The coupons are only available when there's a special sale, and there's no sale on right now. Eileen usually throws a couple sales a year, and when she does I mention it here.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you sir.

Experience with your previous books makes me fully convinced that the book is worth the $32, but I had to ask. smile

Order No. 9233 on the way.

Last edited by Seven_Heaven; 07/12/17. Reason: Order update

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Thank you sir.

Experience with your previous books makes me fully convinced that the book is worth the $32, but I had to ask. smile

Just received mine in the mail today. Have only read a couple of chapters so far. Well worth the money!

Thanks for another good read John.

Regards, Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed this is an excellent read.

Then again there are many excellent reads as this one is and some not so good as this one is not. I couldn't say this is a better read than Elmer Keith but I can sure say that if you are paying attention you will learn a lot more from this book. Maybe there's more recent material brought more quickly to market than we see from traditional publishers.

I'd say what the new or inexperienced might learn is different from what I to my sorrow observe - though there is useful material for all of us. Nobody today should take Elmer Keith's comments on bullets literally. I think we can all take Mr. Barsness on bullets literally and should. Inspiring as it can be to read classic works from classic writers the lessons of say Shots at Whitetails are seldom directly applicable.

But what I am reminded of most is that as ever the times they a'changing. Speaking of access, long ago I got access to land because as the landowner said: my cousin married your father's older sister that's close enough to hunt family land. All those people and many more have left the range.

It's been a long time, maybe 20 years, since Mike Venturino did a column in Guns where he wrote it was too late for an eastern boy like him to move west and get the access he got that allowed him to make his career.

This is a great snap shot of hunting (and shooting gear) as it is in the second decade of the 21st century either as a guide or as a memoir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the power of suggestion is...well, powerful. Just ordered it myself and bought into Rifle Loony News, too. I know John's book will be great, I have several already. But RLN is great, too. Glad I sprung for it!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Order Number:

Look forward to reading it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mine arrived yesterday! It will be read and reread many times. Great job as usual, John.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I received my copy on Monday. I am taking my time reading it. It is full of insight.

I am learning a lot about hunting in places that I used to dream of hunting but now know I never will. If I do get one special hunt, I learned that a hunt in Africa might be the most value and that I would not need another rifle for the game I would seek..

The chapters on muskox and pronghorn brought back memories of my one trip out West to Wyoming in 1972. That alone was worth the price. I needed to be reminded of what a surprised pronghorn looks like at fairly close range through a 4x Leupold, head down, shoulder muscles working to propel him at speeds where a 30/06 was not fast enough.

I have now finished The Big Book of Big Game Hunting. After reading the last chapter, I now feel that John Barsness is a friend of mine, even though I have absolutely no justification for such a statement.

Last edited by GrimJim; 07/12/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very nice to hear! Thanks.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I finished reading my copy shortly after midnight and enjoyed it.

Your friend, "Young Eli", shooting farm ground whitetails from the driver's seat of his pickup, see page 374, reminded me of my FIL punching the majority of his Nebraska whitetail tags in the same way. He was sure to wear his orange vest and hat and to have the engine turned off before he squeezed the trigger so that he'd be legal. A procession of COs tried to catch him breaking the rules, but they never did and I think that he enjoyed frustrating them in their cat and mouse game. His rule for deer hunting was that you shouldn't shoot a deer that you couldn't drive a pickup to unless was a trophy worthy of hanging on somebody's wall.

I particularly liked Chapter 33 and applaud you for giving Francis Sell credit for his understudy rifle philosophy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Am ordering my copy this morning.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I liked the book so much that I ordered 5 copys for five hunting buddies.

It's a great book and my buddies can use all the help they can get!!

Actually, they are highly skilled hunters who will very much appreciate the book.

Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

And thanks very much!

One comment we received is that many experienced hunters find it entertaining....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Though today we got a (very nice) letter from a customer who mistakenly ordered THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK. He sent a very funny letter about his mistake, along with a check for the big game book.

But he already had a copy of GACK, so Eileen said to just send the second GACK back (ain't that poetry?). In the meantime we'd send a copy of the new book--and tear up his check. We both understand "old timer's disease"....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered a copy John. I am looking forward to it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"September in the Selous" - what a chapter!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GrimJim

I have now finished The Big Book of Big Game Hunting. After reading the last chapter, I now feel that John Barsness is a friend of mine, even though I have absolutely no justification for such a statement.

It's a well founded feeling.
wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am enjoying this book as much as anything else that John has written. At this point, if he wrote a Puch moped manual I would likely buy it...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just placed my order! (9758) Looking forward to this one.

Mike

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
revorg,

That's one of the most unusual, yet very appreciated, reviews any of my books has received--though I do admit Googling "Puch moped" to find out exactly what you were talking about. Thanks!

Might quote you on our site, or elsewhere--but will probably include a photo of a Puch just so people know what it is.

John Steinbeck
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Started reading mine and was swept-away by the Introduction "Window Seat" - a particularly elegant and evocative piece - on how a hunter views the landscape; tinged with an echo of Ortega y Gasset but with a more pleasing flow of words. Excellent writing and in less than a week while busy visiting my son, read that part three times because I enjoyed it so much.

I've read several other chapters as well and enjoyed them and learned much. p.s. I know what a Puch moped is (yes I'm even older than John!)

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
So John, if I drove out there to pick it up how much would you discount for shipping?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen charges $27 for non-shipped copies, so is you can do it for around a tenth of a cent a mile, you'd come out ahead!

By the way, in the summer of 2002 we drove from here to Annapolis for a family reunion. But we were younger then!

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, cross country road trips don't have the appeal they had when we were only 50!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I received my copy yesterday. I'm looking forward to diving in.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CKW,

Thanks very much for the compliments on "Window Seat"! Can we use them on our website? It's always good to let potential readers know what other readers think.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm trying to figure out how I want mine personally inscribed.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go ahead and use my comments on your website. Does that make me a "published author"? laugh

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course!

Thanks,

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine yesterday(along with Eileens Rubs & Marinades Book). Look forward to reading 'em!

Jeff

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't forget the brines part of Eileen's cookbook! That's just as important, if not more so. She's been cooking ducks this week, to test recipes and take photos for a magazine article, and the brining made them REALLY tender, including the legs.

John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
No matter how long I brine or simmer, I can never get those Nitro Mag #2's to get tender! MD, on payday I will be ordering your book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff
Got mine yesterday(along with Eileens Marinades, brines and rubs book Tenderize the Wild). Look forward to reading 'em!

Jeff

Fixed it, sorry Eileen! Brines are definitely important! BTW the spiral bound format is perfect for a cookbook! Thumbs up!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been reading this book. Enjoy it as much as the rest of your writings. I learned something(s) too. Maybe I read this part in your latest Rifle article, hmmm.
I was not aware of the issues of over tightening the scope rings. I might have been lucky, though most screws on my rifles don't get 'farmer tight'.

I bought a 7600 that was inaccurate according to previous owner. Every screw was as tight as he could get it (he was a carpenter - strong hands).
The worst thing he did though was the elevation and the windage adjustments were turned right hand until they were way way tight. He destroyed that Leupold - but Leupold replaced it for me.

Sub 1/2 MOA rifle after remounting the new Leupold scope.

I was unaware of the issues you brought up regarding the rings being over tightened though. Thanks for your good work/writing.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mine came Thursday when I was out of town but I am sitting here enjoying it now!

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ordered the book half expecting it to be dry and textbook like for some reason. I have no idea why, and it certainly would have been fine with me as my primary reason for buying it was for education rather than entertainment. It was love at first paragraph. After reading the first paragraph it was immediately apparent that the author has the spirit of a sportsman and the skill as a scribe to stir that sportsman's soul.

I called Laurie into the room and read it to her. I give Laurie anything she wants. Anything but the window seat that is. I love to peer down at the land below and try to guess where I am. Guess where the wildlife will be. My face is planted firmly in the window for the entire trip, processing all the information Mother Nature is giving me. After reading it to Laurie she smiled knowing that I had found a good read.

This morning I sat out on the front porch reading a bit further into the book. I chuckled out loud at times. There's a certain sarcasm or cynicism that John uses that I really enjoy. To call it dry humor is to do it an injustice. I'll be damned if I know what to call it, but I like it. I am a southeasterner, but am blessed to have traveled over much of the west. I have been out there enough to appreciate this little nugget. "About the only way you can tell you are in Colorado is some men and women wear cowboy boots and big hats. (Most of these people sell real estate...) That's the writings of a man who never stops studying the world around him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm well into my copy, thanks to 7X57Steve. I'm getting to the age when a lot of the adventures John writes of are too demanding physically, so I revel in living them vicariously through his words.

Another plus, for me, is the large print he used in the book. I can (mostly) read it without needing my reading glasses. That can, or can't, be a good thing. Normally I eschew large(ish) print but somehow it's ok in this instance.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
PaulBarnard,

Glad you are liking the book! Would like to quote part of your post on riflesandrecipes.com, if that's OK with you.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
PaulBarnard,

Glad you are liking the book! Would like to quote part of your post on riflesandrecipes.com, if that's OK with you.

Certainly John. The book has lit a fire in me. I have got to stop dreaming about hunting out west, and get it done.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My copy is on the way! Looking forward to it-

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just ordered this, as well Shotguns for Wingshooting.

The Big Book of Gun Gack was a good read and is an excellent reference, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I received mine this week and fortunately it is the last free week we have till the end of bear season.
It is a rare pleasure to find so much experience and knowledge contained in one well written book.

Thanks John and Eileen

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well if that's not an excellent book review I don't know what is.
Guess I need to order my copy.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Phil,

Thanks very much. That means a lot.

Good to hear you have a little break before the big push. I'm trying to take a couple days off myself!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
I received mine this week and fortunately it is the last free week we have till the end of bear season.
It is a rare pleasure to find so much experience and knowledge contained in one well written book.

Thanks John and Eileen

Have a good season Phil!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win

Thanks John and Eileen

Now there, John, is a testimonial to put on your website...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect it'll show up there soon. I forwarded it to Eileen.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=GrimJim

[/quote]

If you ever get to meet John, you'll feel entirely justified. I met him at Whittaker's awhile back, and it was like I'd known him forever. Of course, I HAVE been reading his stuff a long time, and he's just like he writes. A good guy, for sure. I'm a practical guy, sometimes, and I certainly appreciate John's practicality and conversational writing style. He's just better at it than I am.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! I enjoyed meeting and talking to you too. Loonies always have something in common, even if we don't desire (or "need") exactly the same rifles.

0r shotguns, or handguns, or....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I finished the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the kind of book you can pick up and put down without losing track and for a busy body like me, that works well. Before I go any further I feel like I need to apologize for being from east of the Mississippi River.

John, I feel like I know you as a person now. Astutely observant, sarcastic, with a hint of Walter's (from Jeff Dunham's show) cynicism and a healthy dose of Luddite, and I say that affectionately. You rather enjoyed the fire roasted trail camera in the Selous didn't you? And there are times you wish they would open a season on ATVs huh?

One of the things you do that I really like is that you take time to describe the geography and the flora of the areas you hunt. I am a very visual person. I need to form a mental image of what I am reading, and with your description and my limited travels out west, I could see what you were describing. When you were describing the haunts and hides of mule deer, I nodded knowingly. This past summer I was out west in CO hiking off the beaten path. I was in a narrow grassy meadow in between two rocky upcroppings. I was about to exit the meadow when I had this odd sensation I was being watched. I looked back over my left shoulder to see this resting buck eyeing me from his perfect perch.

[img]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...ac36cbfce7cba4445d1f18af&oe=5A25775A[/img]

I also liked the way you told us what the African words were for certain things. I mentioned the Herter's catalog in a thread here last week. You have a few years on me though I can certainly relate to the way the years accelerate by as we age, but I remember pouring over the pages of the Herter's Catalog in my grandfather's basement each summer when we went to visit him. I was enamored of the beautiful rifle stocks!

I grudgingly admit that you have those of us from east of the MS nailed down. I did a three year tour of duty in Kodiak before the advent of rangefinders. I had a boat paddle stock Ruger 30-06 that I had sighted in to hit 2 inches high at 100 yards. I hadn't done much long range shooting, but had studied ballistics tables enough to feel comfortable with a dead on hold out to 250 yards and a very slight hold over at 300 then a little daylight between the crosshairs and the back at 400.

We climbed to the top of Barometer Mountain. My bud and I split up a bit. I started glassing down into a bowl. I saw two bucks sparring. Both were shooters and one a trophy. I hiked back over to my bud and got him. I explained the situation and the plan of attack. I asked Mark if he wanted to take the first available shot. Of course he did, he's that kind of bud. The first buck we encountered was the smaller one. He bagged it then we hurried to a point where I thought we could intercept the other one as it retreated. The plan worked perfectly. There he was, casually strolling along about 400 yards away, stopping every now and then to survey his surroundings. I had shed my backpack where I had met up with Mark in preparation for hustling to catch back up with the deer. I made use of a spindly alder for a rest. I told Mark not to shoot if I missed. I got a much better rest than I thought I would get, did my deep breath with a partial release, rested up perfectly, held just over the back and eased the trigger rearward. I was nice and relaxed on the squeeze. Perhaps too relaxed. The -06 bucked back, slamming the ocular bell against my brow, immediately sending blood rushing down my face. I didn't hear the decided thwack I was conditioned to hear, but in between giggles, Mark told me he saw meat fly off the far side of the deer. The deer didn't react at all. He just walked as he had been doing when we first saw him. When he stopped again, I laid the rifle back over the alder limb, snugged up to it a bit more firmly, and I held on the exact same imaginary spot I had before and got off what I felt like was another good shot. Mark told me he saw more meat fly off the far side of the deer then said he was going to shoot him. The deer was walking at this point. I told Mark not to shoot. I realized that I had spent so much time looking through the scope and the binoculars that I had not assessed his distance well. Mark shot. I heard a soft reply off of the deer and it stumbled a bit then trotted for a second and stopped. I took another rest, held dead on, squeezed the trigger and the buck folded with the sound of thwack I wanted to hear.

The deer in Kodiak carry a heavy layer of fat. When we got to the deer the two bullet holes from my first two shots were almost touching. They had plowed through the fat above the deer's spine. That's what mark had seen flying off the far side. Mark's shot had kinda grazed the leading edge of the thigh. My final shot was directly below the first two and right where I held. So that was a long way of validating your thoughts about us easterners being bad at estimating range in the wide open spaces of the west.

Irish Setters are indeed stupid. I appreciate your craft my friend!

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/15/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, my copy arrived in today's mail. I've been reading random bits of it, and thoroughly enjoying it. I've had JB's two previous hunting story books (Born to Hunt and Life of the Hunt) on my shelf for a few years, but this book is far and away the best yet. Well done, JB!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonderful, just wonderful. I retire, leave the computer alone for a month or so, miss the notice and find out now that John has a new book out. Just what I need, another book and a bill for $32 when my first retirement check hasn't arrived yet. Sheeesh, what next? A flat tire?

Really though, it took reading about 3 posts to know I was going to place an order...............................again. smile

MD, expect to see an order online or perhaps I'll just send you a snail mail envelope like we did in the horse and buggy days before computers. Well, maybe it would be more correct to say in the carbureted vehicle days (that apparently is such an ancient term the spell checker here doesn't recognize it confused ). Regards to the editor too.

Geno

PS Ha! I solved one problem. Birthday coming up soon so I just asked the wonderful wife if she'd like to buy me a book. Answer: "sure". One has to love it when pieces fall into place!!

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/15/17. Reason: PS re: birthday

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Paul,

The inability to accurately "judge" range isn't limited to hunters from east of the Mississippi. It's a human failing, though many wouldn't admit it in pre-rangefinder days--though they had after lasers proved they weren't nearly as good as they thought they were. Back then a lot of Montana pronghorn hunters got around the range problem by chasing them in pickups. In fact, some still do....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Thanks very much! Must point out, however, that the two previous books were pure "story" books, without the technical advice on hunting, traveling and guns this one has. Plus, THE LIFE OF THE HUNT even included a couple fishing stories!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul,

The inability to accurately "judge" range isn't limited to hunters from east of the Mississippi. It's a human failing, though many wouldn't admit it in pre-rangefinder days--though they had after lasers proved they weren't nearly as good as they thought they were. Back then a lot of Montana pronghorn hunters got around the range problem by chasing them in pickups. In fact, some still do....

I chuckled over your easterner comments. All of 'em. Life is tough when you can't laugh at yourself.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No matter, I'll forgive you the fishing stories; your old Inuit guide with his "twenty-two mag-a-num" made up for them in spades!!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Sent my order in. Might as well fill out the john barsness shelf smile

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/17/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And your book is on the way. I helped by carrying the stack of packages to the post office for Eileen, so she could whip out the official riflesandrecipes credit card and send them on their journeys....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
smile will get ready for front porch coffee sipping while reading then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JB,

Mine arrived this past week. Thanks to you, Eileen for her help, and my wonderful wife for a great birthday present. Already through four or five chapters between chores, dog walks, 400 mile round trips to eye doctors, and the rest of life.

Thanks for filling another spot on the new bookshelf I have to buy/build grin
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Glad you're liking it! Good luck with the new bookshelf.

Oddly enough, contrary to what some people believe, over the past three years there's been a drop in sales of electronic books and an increase in the sales of traditional "paper" books, despite the "inconvenience" of turning pages and building bookcases. One reason has been suggested by reader surveys: Many people look at computer (and other) screens during most of the day on their jobs. As a result, when not working they prefer to relax with an actual book, rather than staring at yet another illuminated screen. (Of course, this doesn't apply to those who prefer to stare at their smart phone rather than look at any other part of the world.)

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Been enjoying mine. Even realized I was wearing my rifle looney hat while reading it the other day smile

Last edited by mjbgalt; 09/10/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for an inspiration!

As an option, we could offer one of those tiny clip-on "headlamps" for our Rifle Loony hats, so people could read late at night in hunting camp, without disturbing their snoring buddies.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Geno,

(Of course, this doesn't apply to those who prefer to stare at their smart phone rather than look at any other part of the world.)
Hence a land line and, as my brother calls them, an Amish phone. Black. Flip it open, make your call, flip it shut, stuff it in your pocket. Done. And, back to reading a book or magazine.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm going to have to remember "Amish phone"!

That's exactly what I have. We first tried cell phones here around 2000, and the only places that weren't "dead zones" were the local so-called big towns, one 32 miles away and the other 70. I could sometimes get semi-connected from our house by standing on the back porch, which wasn't pleasant during blizzards and caused several misunderstandings.

Around 2009 a cell tower went up about dozen miles north of here, and after confirming we now had cell-sercive I bought a flip-phone at Wal-Mart for $14.99. Have been using it ever since, even though it doesn't take photos and texting is about as slow as an Amish Corvette. Tracfone service (which works just about everywhere in the Lower 48 a call phone can be used) costs just about $100 a year.

John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have enjoyed this book very much. The story about Easterner moving West (and others thinking about doing so) hits a little too close to home for this DC-area reader.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you're liking the book. Hope "Becoming Western" didn't offend you.... :-)

John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
No offense taken. I may just need to cancel my cowboy hat order.
Glad you're liking the book. Hope "Becoming Western" didn't offend you.... :-)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I noted in the book, most working cowboys wear baseball caps....

John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
That's what I was referring to:)

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

Got my copy and am reading along in the evenings. I will echo all the praise you are receiving for TBBBGH, and add that there aren't any whitetail in California as you surmised. Well, there was one in the San Diego zoo, but it passed on years ago I suppose.

The inserts tucked into the book were useful as I called Eileen and ordered two old cookbooks to complete my collection of her cooking work. I did not know people collect cookbooks until I read about one in the Wall Street Journal, and that motivated me. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As I noted in the book, most working cowboys wear baseball caps....

The only person I can think of that wears a cowboy hat day in and day out is my aunt's husband who happens to be from the U.K. Several years ago he decided to raise minature mules for sale. He drove all over the state buying brood stock. It was several months before anyone broke it to him that two mules don't make more mules

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My order was placed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gotsarock,

Some baseball-style caps are more western than others, among them a "King Ropes" hat from their store in Sheridan, Wyoming. But I have known a few western hunters who wear "Rifle Loony" hats as well. (Of course, I've also known a few hunters who wear Rifle loony hats east of the Mississippi, and even in Africa.)

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Skatchewan,

Your book's going out this afternoon. I just saw Eileen filling out the form for mailing it across the medicine line. Thanks!

John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Thanks John. I'll file that away for future reference. Can I get by with a Stormy Kromer?

gotsarock,

Some baseball-style caps are more western than others, among them a "King Ropes" hat from their store in Sheridan, Wyoming. But I have known a few western hunters who wear "Rifle Loony" hats as well. (Of course, I've also known a few hunters who wear Rifle loony hats east of the Mississippi, and even in Africa.)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes indeed. In fact many Montana hunters wear Kromers, or Kromer-clones.

Among many other hunting hats I have a genuine Kromer, given to me some years ago by a friend from Wisconsin, who has since moved on to the big hunting camp in the sky. I wear it in colder weather every fall, usually in November and December.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Remembered that my Kromer appears in the book, on pages 32 and 178! Both deer were taken west of the Mississippi....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After enjoying JB's last book, I ordered The Big Book of Big Game Hunting last week so it's on the way; I'm looking forward to reading it .
Once I'm done reading it, it will join it's predecessor next to my two Finn Agaard and several JOC books; pretty decent company I think.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Remembered that my Kromer appears in the book, on pages 32 and 178! Both deer were taken west of the Mississippi....

I had no idea what kind of hat you guys were talking about, even living on the east side of the Mississippi, so I looked it up. Pretty fashionable.

[Linked Image]

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Clearly I wasn't looking at the pictures closely enough. I've always liked Kromers since I was a kid in Michigan.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Nice pic, Rev. That Kromer looks about 3 sizes too small for that guy's melon.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Finished BBBGH tonight; it is an excellent mix of the practical and the poetic. Very well done John!...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much, Jim! That mix was pretty much what I was aiming at, so to speak.... :-)

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.