Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hello, I have a really good spot for Whitetail hunting on a ridge overlooking a hollow. The problem is getting to my stand.

I have about a two mile hike, then climb a low high wall, then up the hollow. I have gone in, at times in 10 degree weather, in just a T-Shirt, underwear and rubber boots with no socks, carrying my heavier stuff and socks, etc., and still always end up in a lather of sweat...I have seen deer spook on my back trail hours after I have passed. I have observed different reactions. Sometimes it's comical, especially the reactions of young bucks. But one thing for certain is they all take some kind of evasive action. The deer seem to recognize my trail easier when the ground is bare. When there is a few inches of snow they don't seem to notice as much. You'd think it would be the opposite.

There is no other way for me to get to this excellent spot except for the way I described.

I would really appreciate any advice on scent control in this situation. I have never been much for scent control sprays, etc and supposedly "scent proof" rubber boots don't seem to matter, but am willing to try anything that the forum members might suggest. Deer down in the hollow never scent me when I'm up in my stand over looking the hollow but it's getting there without leaving a scent trail that's the problem. How can I minimize my scent trail.

Thanks for ant help....TD

"an armed society is a polite society"
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
May I ask- How many years have ya been hunting whitetails ?--- Why can't you change your approach to your stand ? How Productive has this deer stand been ? The deer you see that are spooked on you back trail--- you must be in your stand when you see them--- how far away are they?
Just trying to build a foundation for a good answer- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a zip line to get to a stand. If you intend to hunt this spot long term, you might think about setting one up.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Drone big enough to carry you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are these deer following specific trails or are their travels a bit of a crapshoot?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
30 years the stand is most productive and I should be satisfied but here in Pa, and probably anywhere one hunts whitetails, your back trail is a defense mechanism for deer among a lot of other things. ...any other approach would be worse or through an area that's posted no trespassing and even through there, would be no easier ....

it's woodland, basically, bush hunting.The longest shot I have made at that particular spot was 80 yards. I can see clear enough out only to about 120 yards and in only one direction. The lines of sight in other directions are even shorter (good whitetail country) I am in my stand, which is on the ground, back to a tree, when I see deer....of course, as most everyone else, I hunt other stands but it's getting more and more difficult as a lot of once "public" land becomes private land and is posted..... an idea of how to alleviate a back trail scent would be useful no matter what spot I hunt but I thought describing that particular stand would be a good example.

I am a big buck hunter, passing on the young ones, About 15 years ago (It seems, not exactly sure) Pa passed an antler restriction law and many thought "now it's going to be easy to get a big buck" IMO, the reverse is true because when a young buck, that normally would have been shot in short order, makes it through a couple of hunting seasons. he becomes very difficult to hunt. Since I pass on smaller, often quite legal buck and save the doe tag for Flintlock season I observe a lot of deer that I don't shoot at. I try not to leave any signs of my presence in an area as much as possible and at the same time realizing that it's almost impossible, in the areas I hunt, to make your presence unknown to a wise old trophy.

I never worried about my back trail until recently. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what to do about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know much about killing deer so I'll be reading this thread

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
SKane, when gun season begins in Pa, it is always a "crap shoot"...at this time of year, luck has a lot to do with killing a big trophy. You never know who, where or how many other hunters are in the woods....So, the best laid plans can be unsuccessful no matter what ....it's thick, rugged country and most big bucks taken are driven out of their hiding places by hunters who have hunted there a while and know the country....if you are a lone hunter, you often try to take that into account. But generally, at this time of year, all bets are off.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This all sounds strange to me. I've never had deer spook from my scent & had them walk within feet of me.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read of a guy who hunted one big buck, and finally succeeded in an odd method. He had two main approaches to get to where he wanted to be, and no matter which one he took, the buck left by the other route. He could never get close enough, without being winded.
So he had an odd thought and turned it around. He knew he could never remove enough scent to truly be scent free, so he used his stink to get his deer.
He wore his socks for a week solid. Then sealed them in zip lock bags. When he arrived for the hunt he walked the second choice approach dragging those dirty socks behind and made no attempt to hide his scent. He left, and returned clean, and crept in the first approach. The buck would not go near the second approach, and he died for it.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't go all the way to where you want to hunt. leave that as a sanctuary and hunt closer to the truck

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll follow tedthorn on this one since I'm only hold a small pair of 4's with a 3 ,J ,and 8---- fold to the next bidder

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wldthg
I'll follow tedthorn on this one since I'm only hold a small pair of 4's with a 3 ,J ,and 8---- fold to the next bidder

I bid one pit blind on an open field. (Don't knock it, it worked. wink )

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why not go in at dark till the going gets a little tough and sit down, wait till sunrise and hunt your way to the stand?
Getting there's not going to be tough when compared to getting out, at night, deer in tow.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wldthg

Don't follow me........ I get lost now and then

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I tried that ringworm and it's a good idea... back when I did some bow hunting I once used some skunk scent as a masking scent, REAL skunk pee, But how are you supposed to know if the deer can't smell both you and the skunk?...maybe if you find a skunk following you around all day? That stuff should be outlawed! ....Anyway, I'm looking for another method cause I wanna stay married....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having a wife is overated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I tried that ringworm and it's a good idea... back when I did some bow hunting I once used some skunk scent as a masking scent, REAL skunk pee, But how are you supposed to know if the deer can't smell both you and the skunk?...maybe if you find a skunk following you around all day? That stuff should be outlawed! ....Anyway, I'm looking for another method cause I wanna stay married....

When I used skunk scent -- I put it on a drag rag then took the string off a few yards away from me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those PA bucks are sure smart. They can tell a lot about a hunter by his scent. My advice is to go down to your local PETA office and steal a coat outta the cloakroom. Wear it to your stand. Those wiley ol' bucks won't be a-scared-ed at all because they will recognize the smell of an animal lover. They can be fooled......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nose Jammer

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.