-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If GW says the steel on a Randall is good, than its damn sure good enough for me!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Travis
"Just the stainless or Randall's in general?"

Mostly the 440B, cause I am pretty sure they do a good job on the high carbon blades, but then I have no user experience
with Randall blades. Just wondered if the negative comments on 440B were substantiated with actual experience.

FWIW I have two small kitchen knives I made from some 440B at .040" thick and heat treated before I acquired the strip of steel.
It was a drop from a high volume production process of surgical blades, so figured must me ok. I have had not seen edge
degradation to me much different than from 440C personally.

Yeah, GW gives them a work out.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah I can't help with the stainless. My carbon holds and takes an edge great. But I've also never been one of those guys that owned a knife which could "clean ten deer and still shave hair."

The most I ever do with a knife in the field is break them down shotgun style to fit in a pack and I consider my Randall to be one of the best in that regard. I've never had it dull in the middle of that process.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you. I have many a good knife and I too have never cleaned out 10 of anything, sans squirrels, that didn't need work.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Knife steel threads always sort of crack me up. Despite the fact that millions of deer have been cut up using various Buck knives, case xx , western, kbar etc. some steel expert will come along and explain why someone's knife isn't up to the task because it isn't made of some exotic steel. As to the various woodcraft exercises such as batoning they like to recite I can hear my grandfather saying If you want to split kindling they make a tool for that. It's called a hatchet. To him only a fool abuses his tools. I like Randals they are pretty knives and they have their legacy but I wouldn't spend the $$ they demand . One there's a lot of good knives for less but mainly I field dress deer and small game so I generally like a smaller knives.

Last edited by bangeye; 08/26/17.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

I do believe that this was the OP's initial post

Originally Posted by 444Matt
Who has one? Let's see them. I'm pouring over all the different options and would love to see and hear about anyone's experience with them.

Currently looking at the Sergeant model, model 28 and model 23.

The point of my original post on this topic was mainly to thank the gent who put up the video. It brought back a flood of memories, it was not to start an argument in regards to knife steel and the purpose behind blade profiles.

I do believe one of the three Randall's I posted was a model 28 Woodsman. I re-iterate that that one was a gift. The other two I purchased. The model 2-8 Fighting Stilletto, and the model 3- 5” Hunter were purchased, as new, at a “value”. When purchasing items such as rifles, knives, pistolas, vehicles or scooters, I typically have an exit strategy that involves making a profit.

IMHO, Randall’s have excellent trade value, and when purchased "right", even better.

Here is from AG Russell in regards to the model 28 Woodsman:

"The 4-1/2" drop point blade of 3/16" 440B stainless at 55-56 Rc"

https://agrussell.com/knife/Randall-Model-28-Woodsman--RA-M28G42S

Is 440B a super steel. No.

Would I refuse it as a gift? Absolutely not.

The model 28 is called a "Woodsman" not a skinner. There are any number of you tube vids that review this knife and its use that contrast it vs. a bushcraft knife. Should you be interested, Google is your friend.

Is this a "skinner", No!

Can it be used for skinning? Most definitely.

But what the hey!

IIRC, Dove season opener in the Texas Central Zone is September 2nd and the 15th in the South Zone. I’ll probably make opening morning. Whether the doves have been blown out by Harvey will remain to be seen. I’ll most likely set out a couple snares at both leases. Perhaps perforate one or more also. I might just skin one out and make a short vid to see whether this “woodsman” will still “cut it”

As I mentioned earlier, it is what it is

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the video Geedubs. I'm still on the fence as to which model I'll go with. Not worried about their steel one way or the other.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just get a #1. They're cool. grin

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave

10/4

This jewel just showed up today. Had to fight Harvey to go pick it up!

[Linked Image]

Please excuse the poor quality cell phone pix.

Randall # 1 Fighter, etched A2 steel. (not a super-steel but a steel very much to my liking)

Stag, peened brass guard.

Make a sheath for it, and it will be ready for some quality pix!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/26/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn nice one GW! My favorite Randall is my #1.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't tell anyone, but that one is by Ricky Bob Menefee. Don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that Jason Randall visited him for a spell. Been waiting for Rick to get in the mood to do a #1 Fighter in A2 for over three years.

To say the least, I'm jazzed!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! Nice!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by deflave

10/4

This jewel just showed up today. Had to fight Harvey to go pick it up!

[Linked Image]

Please excuse the poor quality cell phone pix.

Randall # 1 Fighter, etched A2 steel. (not a super-steel but a steel very much to my liking)

Stag, peened brass guard.

Make a sheath for it, and it will be ready for some quality pix!

ya!

GWB

You're gonna need a big brontosaurus steak!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kingston

You're gonna need a big brontosaurus steak!

[Linked Image]

Not too many brontos roaming around Pearville. Prolly just go to the Hong Kong market tomorrow and pick out a large beef tenderloin and do a little carving if weather permits!

[Linked Image]

That will kinda take the edge off till I can baptize it hoglet guts!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Don't tell anyone, but that one is by Ricky Bob Menefee. Don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that Jason Randall visited him for a spell. Been waiting for Rick to get in the mood to do a #1 Fighter in A2 for over three years.

To say the least, I'm jazzed!

ya!

GWB

A2 with Menefee heat treat and grind... it'll be a cutter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw a lot of pictures showing the making of that knife. I am very, very impressed. Interesting to see Jason out at Ricky Bobby's place, pounding steel and grinding. smile

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This thread reminds of me the time I shot this wolf. The guy I was with at the time worked me and was a great 'kid'. We were in the process of bringing the canoe up river. We had just stopped at a gravel bank when the wolf came out to eat salmon.

It was a good day and has nothing to do with Randall Knives, but another friend in Alaska was named Randall and he was a taxidermist. I'm sure I did use a knife to skin the wolf, though I know it wasn't a Randall.

I do know know that I like eggs though and it's a pretty picture.

Sweet!

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Word!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ricky's version looks really good GW. I have a suspicion that it will perform every bit as good as it looks. I knew he was working on a small batch of them.

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A lot of pretty knives for sure.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.