-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Time for a new string on my Mathews and I'm looking for opinions on what you guys think are the most effective "twang" silencers for compounds these days. I have always used the rubber cat whisker type stuff and find it pretty effective. I'll admit however, I'm a little out of touch with what's working the best for compounds these day. Been hunting with nothing but traditional gear for the last five years...Thanks in advance!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stringleeches worked on my Hoyt.
Mathews had string stops and was fine without anything else on string.
Have not tried the "monkey tails".

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Tried a bunch of them...regular spider leg types work best for me.

Last edited by Pahntr760; 07/10/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
IMO, string stops and don't worry about anything on the string itself.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Trie a bunch of them...regular spider leg types work best for me.

This

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
spider legs, but then again I think I know what a stop is, but my newest compound is a 91. My brack recurve is newer than that. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[video:youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKUDEq6Ayeg [/video]

This technique works very well and is easy to do. Again, just my way of doing it.

Last edited by Pahntr760; 07/10/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. And JJ Hack can vouch for this. Especially when using a quality string made from a quality material such as Brownell Fury and now BCY Mercury. And adding a heavyish properly spined arrow. YOU NEED NONE. A quality string, combined with the correct arrow, and a properly tuned bow make for an amazingly quiet bow. If I can offer my services, please let me know.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The bow had previously been "Cracker-ized". Mike makes his own strings and cables and tunes very well. Can't remember what material but he'll get the nod again this time as well. The bow has always been pretty quiet because I keep it in spec, shoot pretty heavy arrows and use wiskers, limbsavers, and a string stop.

I know most guys are anal about weight on the string because it costs a few fps but this bow is plenty fast and I've always been happy to give up a few fps for a few less decibels. I was just seeing if I had missed out on any new advances in string twang suppression since leaving the compound world, it appears not, so cat whiskers it is! Thanks guys!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My Hoyt Protec was 305 IBO, had leeches on string. W my hunting arrows and 28" draw, I was just over 270 FPS.
Plenty fast enough IMHO. Whistled cut on contacts through deer (farthest shot was only 45 yards). Not the hottest cam design, but comfy and quiet enough for me.

SBXT only had the string stops by the wheels. Worked fine as well. Never chrono'd. Same GT400's at 70#.

PSE I have now, only has string stop below grip. Seems to work, has a buzzy thud to it, in plunk or shot. Pretty low noise.
Don't think it needs any additional.

Not like the days of Oneida Screaming Eagles and the poor saps that let the brace get too low.
Like dropping a pallet off a truck when those went off!

Last edited by hookeye; 07/11/17.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The new Oneidas (latest $$$$ model) look like crap.
I might try an LFM or BE with fingers.
Outside of those, it's BW recurve only for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by hookeye

The Monkey Tails are pretty soft material, get several if you want to add them.

They work, but there's better products out there. Their advantage is going on your string without a bow press, and they are easy to replace.

Your new string will probably come with "speed sleeves" or something like it on the string. They work as well as the Monkey Tails, but have to be put on in a press.

The cat whiskers you are using are as good as anything you would buy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Tried a bunch of them...regular spider leg types work best for me.

Still the best - a little heavy. You will lose a couple fps but they work. If you go to a fishing store you can buy a couple feet of it in different colors for a couple bucks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks again fellas!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Xverminator, I know Mike Carter well. Yep he does excellent work. Would guess either bcy x or 452x is what strings will be

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by hookeye

The Monkey Tails are pretty soft material, get several if you want to add them.

They work, but there's better products out there. Their advantage is going on your string without a bow press, and they are easy to replace.

Your new string will probably come with "speed sleeves" or something like it on the string. They work as well as the Monkey Tails, but have to be put on in a press.

The cat whiskers you are using are as good as anything you would buy.

FWIW I have not used cat whiskers for on a compound since 2003.
My recurves and even a few old school compounds, get Wooly Whispers.
String stops seem to work OK, bows not so equipped got leeches. Also worked fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.