Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had some interesting experiences with 300 win, 300wby and 338 win.

Mark V chambered in 300 wby had serious recoil. SS Fluted barrel Synthetic stock model 180 grain Factory Ammo

Salvage 110 in 300 win mag felt even worse then the Mark V Wood stocked 110 180 grain Factory Ammo

Weatherby VAnguard deluxe 300 wby absolutely sweet shooting --recoil is not an issue 180 grain Factory Ammo

RUger M77 338 wood stock --recoil more of a push then a shove - quite docile 225 Remington Factory Ammo

I would like to try out a 340 weatherby but would have to make a custom vanguard deluxe to get that , think the Mark V would have more felt recoil.

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
300 WBY is the best elk cartridge around. Even Coyote Hunter know it.

It's a good choice. Best? Not as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

There's nothing better.

That is one tough round to beat I concur

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Mark V chambered in 300 wby had serious recoil. SS Fluted barrel Synthetic stock model 180 grain Factory Ammo

Salvage 110 in 300 win mag felt even worse then the Mark V Wood stocked 110 180 grain Factory Ammo

Weatherby VAnguard deluxe 300 wby absolutely sweet shooting --recoil is not an issue 180 grain Factory Ammo

RUger M77 338 wood stock --recoil more of a push then a shove - quite docile 225 Remington Factory Ammo

I would like to try out a 340 weatherby but would have to make a custom vanguard deluxe to get that , think the Mark V would have more felt recoil.

I have fixed several brutal-recoiling Savages with a simple pad change...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Worst recoiling rifle I have ever owned and it had a 1" recoil pad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

And I have spent a bit of time looking at that very stock to see what can be done to avoid every aspect of its design!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And I have spent a bit of time looking at that very stock to see what can be done to avoid every aspect of its design!

Do you always have to get the last word in ? I had a pretty darn good smith look at it as well. Had I held on to it I was putting another stock on it. I don't own it anymore so your input matters not one iota. Only mine matters since I owned it and shot it . I sure has hell would not have shipped it to Alaska so you could work on it.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/13/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How in the Hell did you get the idea I was suggesting anything even remotely like that???

My reason in looking at it was to see what aspects of the design contributed so strongly to poor recoil handling... for building other stocks!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 222Rem
My best guess is the increased muzzle velocity also causes proportionate recoil velocity, and that's what creates the painful bite. My .338 is more of a heavy push (which mathematically might be heavier than the .300's numbers), but is spread out over enough milliseconds to not hurt, while the .300Win gets recoils so quickly that my body takes a full hit rather than recoiling with the rifle.

I was just reading The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting by Wayne Van Zwoll last night and he addresses this situation directly.

From The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting:
Felt recoil can vary significantly among rifles delivering the same recoil in foot-pounds ... Slap is my homespun term for what happens during quick recoil. Plainly put, a bullet that exits fast dumps all its energy fast, too. The rifle seems to slap you instead of shoving you. Pile enough foot-pounds behind that slap, and it becomes a punch.

So a better comparison would be to drive those bullets at the same velocity. Some might say drive bullets of equal weight, and I suppose that's one way to do it, but the .308 180 vs a .338 225 have very similar sectional densities, which I think makes for a better comparison. I don't see any load data where the 225 gr bullet in.338 Win Mag can be driven as fast as your .300 Win Mag. Perhaps a better comparison for the recoil would be with the .340 Weatherby or .338 RUM, or download the .300 to the same velocity and then decide. Of course, the rifles and their weights you have on hand are still different which mucks things up a bit.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well said, Gringo. I've also surmised the only way to really contrast cartridges is to look at the bullet weights that each can send at similar velocities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 222Rem
My best guess is the increased muzzle velocity also causes proportionate recoil velocity, and that's what creates the painful bite.
My .338 is more of a heavy push (which mathematically might be heavier than the .300's numbers), but is spread out over enough milliseconds to not hurt,
while the .300Win gets recoils so quickly that my body takes a full hit rather than recoiling with the rifle.

Recoil Vel. is higher with 225gn 338win than 300win 180gn. I performed various calcs using a range of typical powder charges for each,
including the heaviest charge weights for both cartridges from Nosler data. (75gn for .338 and 81gn for .300win)

One is effectively applying a higher level of whats technically called "Tamping" of an explosive charge when loading with a heavier projectile.
Increased tamping even on a lower charge can produce more redirection of HE/HV force than lighter tamping of a heavier explosive charge.

Cases, primers,chambers, bolts and barrels are also forms of mechanical tamping, as they are designed to contain and re-direct blast force.
then you carefully complete the tamp process by capping with a projectile.. if against the lands you may be dangerously tamping too much!!.. grin

Anyone here who has trained with setting up various forms of demolition charges will understand what I mean.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Well said, Gringo. I've also surmised the only way to really contrast cartridges is to look at the bullet weights that each can send at similar velocities.

My choice is to compare loads I actually use, as I did here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...141380/re-300-magnum-vs-338#Post12141380

The primary difference between the two rifles (.338WM and .300WM) is the .338 has a Limbsaver recoil pad while the .300WM has the Ruger tire tread pad. THe .338WM still hits much harder than the .300WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me the math is easy, Two Ruger MKII rifles, one in .300WM, the other in .338WM. Both have Zytel .with boat paddle stocks. Have not weighed the rifles but assume about 8.3 pounds with scope.

300WM = 180g @ 3033fps using 70.0g powder, calculated recoil = 29.2 ft-lbs
338WM = 225g @ 2742fps using 69.0g powder, calculated recoil = 33.8 ft-lbs

"Shoulder math" concurs with the calculated recoil - the .338WM hits harder, and noticeably so.

Here are some similar calculations made on JBM ballistics software:

Assume a .300 WM and a .338, both in 9 lb. rifles.
.300 WM = 180 gr., 69 gr. powder, 3100 fps MV, - Recoil velocity 14.0 ft/sec., Recoil energy 27.4 ft.lbs., Recoil impulse 3.9 lb/sec.

.338 WM = 225 gr., 70 gr. powder, 2850 fps MV- Recoil velocity 15.4 ft/sec., Recoil energy 32.2 ft. lbs., Recoil impulse 4.3 lb/sec.

The .338 in these identical weight rifles has more recoil, and does so at a higher recoil velocity, than the .300- so much for the theory that the .338's recoil is more of a 'push'. It is not.
It boils down to stock design, how the rifle fits the shooter, recoil pads, etc. that factor in to the subjective nature of felt recoil. One of the hardest 'kicking' rifles I have ever shot belongs to my daughter in law- it is a Savage .270, shooting factory 130 gr. ammo.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I'm curious about this myself...I hunt with a .300 Winchester, killed white tails, mule deer, and an elk with it...but bought a .338 for elk/moose. The .338 I bought didn't give me the accuracy I wanted, so I just continued using the .300, but I still have an itch for a .338, even though from what I've read, you really can't tell the difference between the 2 on game.

So- can anyone here tell the difference on elk/moose/bear with the .300 vs .338? Is penetration similar using the "standard" 180-grain .300 against the 250-grain .338 Winchester? I would say the .338 with 250's should give more penetration given from what I've read, but I've never tested them out myself, but that's worth exactly what I paid for the advice...nothing!

Didn't read thru all the posts, so this may be redundant. Short answer is NO.

The GAME (NA, anyway- all I have experience with) can't tell a bit of difference from .243 to .375 as far as I can tell, properly hit. This is based on something over 100 head (a piddling amount compared to some posters here) of BG animals killed with everything from .243 to .375, whitetail to moose. The moose double-lunged at 70-80 yards with .243 100 gr. C&C went about 20 yards. One moose quartering one-lung hit with a .30-06 180 gr. at 160 yards (my longest shot ever on 20+ moose) went about 100 yards. An elk hit with 140 gr. .260 bullet was bang-flop. Neck spine shattered. Several caribou double lunged with the same .260 loads beyond 300 yards also bang-flopped or almost. One or two seconds thinking about it doesn't count.... A caribou double lunged with .30-06 150 gr at 300 yards two years ago went 120-150 yards all told, out and back, dying within yards of where first shot. A second caribou at 433 yards less than a minute after the first one went down, similarily hit, went about 5 yards. These were 150 gr factory loads leaving the muzzle at an advertised 1080 fps.Hornady SuperPerformance factory loads.

Be it noted one will frequently not get a bang flop on moose without a CNS or large bone hit. It can take a bit of time for the lungs to fill up and/or the blood pressure to drop enough for the tip-over. I had a yearling (running at 35 yards), make about 100 yards after I neatly centered a large artery just under his spine with a 12 guage slug immediately behind the shoulder. His meat was durn near white- very pale, anyway. Best eater I've ever had. I missed. I was trying for the spine, since he was between the boat and me, on the trail when I fired.. frown

I don't have a .300, but do have several .30-06s, and one .338WM. I can't tell the difference in "killing power" between them, no matter what loads I use. More importantly, neither can the game. The .300WM is an excellent compromise (I hate to use that word in this context) between them. You are fine with it- you don't need a .338 for anything in NA. You might WANT one for brown/griz bear, but don't really need one. It's why I got mine, as I hunt moose in thick cover, and those 2 gallon piles of steaming bear chit were a bit unsettling. I haven't fired the .338 in 8 years..... smile. I'm hoping to take my next moose with the .260, but not this year - I've only an '06 up here.

I almost never recover a bullet from any caliber, with any load, - unless it hits bone. Then only sometimes, or it is so badly fragmented as to not count. I simply do not worry about "penetration" unless a BULLET proves itself deficient - and I've largely gone back to C&C anyway, which have proven sufficient for most of what i do.

I have only had one bullet fail to penetrate sufficiently to kill the animal. The one that blew up on the shoulder blade of a moose at 100 yards was a Nosler Partition 210 gr. from the .338. First and last animal I ever shot with that load, tho the second one up the nose (more or less) at 10 feet did the job. I prefer not getting that close to a wounded animal, before it lurches it's way back to its feet.... I now usually use an insurance shot from a few yards out.

I used some '06 Federal Hi-Shok (I think they were called) that expanded and separated immediately on a sheep at 330 yards, and a moose 4 days later at 70 yards. They killed but I didn't like the bullet separation an inch or so under the near hide. The moose didn't need the second shot, and possibly not the sheep (shot placement was too high, just under the spine, paralyzing hind legs). Most accurate ammo I ever had for that rifle, however, but no good for hunting anything larger than coyotes, IMO.

Those are the only two loads I have ever found "deficient" and won't ever use again, providing the load is matched to the use. Caliber is down the list a ways... Mostly what I choose to use nowdays is the gun I feel like hunting with, and caliber is secondary.

Last edited by las; 07/17/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I would add that the best bang/flopper I've ever used to kill game with was a Ruger 77V in.25-06, using 120 grain Speer handloads. 23 caribou in 3 years with it, only the first was not an impressive, right now bang-flop. He took two, only needed one. The first went in at the base of his neck and lodged against the opposite hind leg bone, turning him broadside. The second double-lunged him and was, as all subsequent animals, a Hammer of Thor slap down.

I do like big exit holes, but one does not necessarily need big bores for that.

And incidently, that .243 moose taken with 100 grain Corelokts was a pencil through between ribs on both sides. Mushed the lungs, tho.

Last edited by las; 07/17/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I'm curious about this myself...I hunt with a .300 Winchester, killed white tails, mule deer, and an elk with it...but bought a .338 for elk/moose. The .338 I bought didn't give me the accuracy I wanted, so I just continued using the .300, but I still have an itch for a .338, even though from what I've read, you really can't tell the difference between the 2 on game.

So- can anyone here tell the difference on elk/moose/bear with the .300 vs .338? Is penetration similar using the "standard" 180-grain .300 against the 250-grain .338 Winchester? I would say the .338 with 250's should give more penetration given from what I've read, but I've never tested them out myself, but that's worth exactly what I paid for the advice...nothing!

Didn't read thru all the posts, so this may be redundant. Short answer is NO.

The GAME (NA, anyway- all I have experience with) can't tell a bit of difference from .243 to .375 as far as I can tell, properly hit. This is based on something over 100 head (a piddling amount compared to some posters here) of BG animals killed with everything from .243 to .375, whitetail to moose. The moose double-lunged at 70-80 yards with .243 100 gr. C&C went about 20 yards. One moose quartering one-lung hit with a .30-06 180 gr. at 160 yards (my longest shot ever on 20+ moose) went about 100 yards. An elk hit with 140 gr. .260 bullet was bang-flop. Neck spine shattered. Several caribou double lunged with the same .260 loads beyond 300 yards also bang-flopped or almost. One or two seconds thinking about it doesn't count.... A caribou double lunged with .30-06 150 gr at 300 yards two years ago went 120-150 yards all told, out and back, dying within yards of where first shot. A second caribou at 433 yards less than a minute after the first one went down, similarily hit, went about 5 yards. These were 150 gr factory loads leaving the muzzle at an advertised 1080 fps.Hornady SuperPerformance factory loads.

Be it noted one will frequently not get a bang flop on moose without a CNS or large bone hit. It can take a bit of time for the lungs to fill up and/or the blood pressure to drop enough for the tip-over. I had a yearling (running at 35 yards), make about 100 yards after I neatly centered a large artery just under his spine with a 12 guage slug immediately behind the shoulder. His meat was durn near white- very pale, anyway. Best eater I've ever had. I missed. I was trying for the spine, since he was between the boat and me, on the trail when I fired.. frown

I don't have a .300, but do have several .30-06s, and one .338WM. I can't tell the difference in "killing power" between them, no matter what loads I use. More importantly, neither can the game. The .300WM is an excellent compromise (I hate to use that word in this context) between them. You are fine with it- you don't need a .338 for anything in NA. You might WANT one for brown/griz bear, but don't really need one. It's why I got mine, as I hunt moose in thick cover, and those 2 gallon piles of steaming bear chit were a bit unsettling. I haven't fired the .338 in 8 years..... smile. I'm hoping to take my next moose with the .260, but not this year - I've only an '06 up here.

I almost never recover a bullet from any caliber, with any load, - unless it hits bone. Then only sometimes, or it is so badly fragmented as to not count. I simply do not worry about "penetration" unless a BULLET proves itself deficient - and I've largely gone back to C&C anyway, which have proven sufficient for most of what i do.

I have only had one bullet fail to penetrate sufficiently to kill the animal. The one that blew up on the shoulder blade of a moose at 100 yards was a Nosler Partition 210 gr. from the .338. First and last animal I ever shot with that load, tho the second one up the nose (more or less) at 10 feet did the job. I prefer not getting that close to a wounded animal, before it lurches it's way back to its feet.... I now usually use an insurance shot from a few yards out.

I used some '06 Federal Hi-Shok (I think they were called) that expanded and separated immediately on a sheep at 330 yards, and a moose 4 days later at 70 yards. They killed but I didn't like the bullet separation an inch or so under the near hide. The moose didn't need the second shot, and possibly not the sheep (shot placement was too high, just under the spine, paralyzing hind legs). Most accurate ammo I ever had for that rifle, however, but no good for hunting anything larger than coyotes, IMO.

Those are the only two loads I have ever found "deficient" and won't ever use again, providing the load is matched to the use. Caliber is down the list a ways... Mostly what I choose to use nowdays is the gun I feel like hunting with, and caliber is secondary.

Good post +1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
For me the math is easy, Two Ruger MKII rifles, one in .300WM, the other in .338WM. Both have Zytel .with boat paddle stocks. Have not weighed the rifles but assume about 8.3 pounds with scope.

300WM = 180g @ 3033fps using 70.0g powder, calculated recoil = 29.2 ft-lbs
338WM = 225g @ 2742fps using 69.0g powder, calculated recoil = 33.8 ft-lbs

"Shoulder math" concurs with the calculated recoil - the .338WM hits harder, and noticeably so.

Here are some similar calculations made on JBM ballistics software:

Assume a .300 WM and a .338, both in 9 lb. rifles.
.300 WM = 180 gr., 69 gr. powder, 3100 fps MV, - Recoil velocity 14.0 ft/sec., Recoil energy 27.4 ft.lbs., Recoil impulse 3.9 lb/sec.

.338 WM = 225 gr., 70 gr. powder, 2850 fps MV- Recoil velocity 15.4 ft/sec., Recoil energy 32.2 ft. lbs., Recoil impulse 4.3 lb/sec.

The .338 in these identical weight rifles has more recoil, and does so at a higher recoil velocity, than the .300- so much for the theory that the .338's recoil is more of a 'push'. It is not.
It boils down to stock design, how the rifle fits the shooter, recoil pads, etc. that factor in to the subjective nature of felt recoil. One of the hardest 'kicking' rifles I have ever shot belongs to my daughter in law- it is a Savage .270, shooting factory 130 gr. ammo.

Yes, stock design and fit, plus weight have a lot to with perceived recoil. I got a .338 Ruger Hawkeye African (without the muzzle brake) that has a McMillan stock with a Decelerator recoil pad. The LOP is 12-1/2" (includes the pad). This rifle does not kick as one would expect, more like a shove against my shoulder.

Last edited by Ray; 07/17/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In the past I had identical model 70 classics in 300 and 338. To me the 338 was more mild mannered. As it pertained to muzzle rise, blast, etc. Recoil was about the same until you went to 225g bullets in the 338, then the recoil was slower, but stiffer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Btw, does the 338 work better than the 300 for gut shooting elk?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by BWalker
Btw, does the 338 work better than the 300 for gut shooting elk?

I dunno about 300's and elks, but I know a 250 gr. TB factory load out of a .338 will exit the opposite shoulder blade of a yearling 600 plus pound moose on a raking shot which enters, just creasing the front of the near ham. Through the forage-filled paunch of course. That's roughly 3 feet of animal, with that dense mass of vegetation right in the middle. Messy. And yes- I was holding for the opposite shoulder on purpose.

He had already taken the first one through both shoulder blades without going down, and a second "a bit low" (knee cap, ok? ). He was leaving post haste straight away for heavy cover, 3 legged, so, as he turned a bit from "Texas heart shot" placement, I kept shooting. He went down with the 4th shot, a Sierra GK 250 gr. hand load, broadside. He was going down within seconds anyway, so the last one was superfluous. As it was, so were the second and third shots. Tough little bugger!

I'm kinda proud of my shooting on that moose. I was firing standing, off-hand, from a rotten, crumbling downed birch log about 3 feet off the ground, through a screen of alder leaves at starting @120 yards and ending at @ 140 (paced off across ice a few months later) The first and third rounds exited the same hole, the fourth about 4 inches higher. I have that shoulder blade in my cull corner. smile

For gut shooting and knee busting moose, .338 Trophy Bonded bullets worked great..... smile. The GK had an exit wound twice the size of the 2 TB combined, inch and a half or so vs 3/4 inch. The GK just missed the top of the shoulder blade. It looks like all 3 exited the same hole, but that's just the way the bone chipped.

I could tell you so, and who would know? smile

If you want "overpenetration", those TBs will do it! I have no doubt they would have gone full length through him (or a full grown bull) had I chosen so.

Last edited by las; 07/18/17.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
las,

If you want to bust moose gut to pieces (lungs too), nothing better than one of the old Federal 250-grain NOS HE loads coming out the barrel at 2,700 fps smile

I still have a few left. I shot a moose "in" the lungs from about 175 yards, and there were pieces of lead all over in the chest cavity. The moose dropped like hit by lightning, too. A couple of days later I saw a huge grizzly walking away from the gut pile, something I wasn't prepared to see, but there was no way that I was going to shoot that grizzly with the same type of ammo. By the time I thought about it, the bear was gone.

Last edited by Ray; 07/18/17.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.