Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice-looking Starcraft has caught my eye locally. It's a '71 hull, nicely accessorized out and with a rebuilt 120 Merc. It would see both freshwater on still water and large rivers, and then also some saltwater up at Puget Sound. Primary use is fishing.

Google says these are well built, good handling boats. Any experiences yay or nay?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had a Starcraft Supersport 1969 vintage for many many years. Only a 16 footer but nice boat. I've seen many Starcraft around here, all seem to hold up well and owners are happy.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Starcraft hull will be fine. Need to check compression on each cylinder. Good is 115 to 121,2. Mercury says within 10% of one another but a cylinder under 100 is cause for concern. What model # or name is the boat? powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a mid 90's, 19', Superfisherman 190, riveted aluminum hull. Bought it new and the only problem I ever had with it was that a couple of the rivets leaked. They fixed it under warranty and never had any other issues. I liked that light weight aluminum hull; it would cruise at 45mph with a 75 hp Merc outboard. Great fishing/family boat.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by powdr
The Starcraft hull will be fine. Need to check compression on each cylinder. Good is 115 to 121,2. Mercury says within 10% of one another but a cylinder under 100 is cause for concern. What model # or name is the boat? powdr

I don't know. Haven't talked to the seller yet. Supposedly 2nd owner and the motor has been "professionally rebuilt". Here she is-- the Avocado Express!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 07/11/17.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had Fishmaster 196 for 7 years now. Best boat I ever had by far. I love the 19* dead rise hull on mine. Rides great even on the waves of Lake Erie.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
There would be a big difference between the 2 boats pictured, and where/how they were used.
Id personaly keep looking.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand. The one I pictured is the one for sale. I wouldn't want to go much bigger, though a little would be ok. My kids are grown up and 9/10 of the time, it'd be just me alone or with my wife or my buddy.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Id not want much to do with an old rivited hull and an IO that looked nearly as old. Trailer looks pretty rough as well.

If it ran good and was cheap enough......it may get you on the water for a few seasons before you'd have to decide on how much work and money youd have to put in it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Mooner. I'm an aluminum sporting-boat noob (my family's boats have been Fiberglas ski boats). Google had told me that the riveted Starcraft hull was pretty good (and that older welded hulls can fail at the welds) but I'm hearing you.

I'm adverse to bad investments and have avoided owning my own boat for that reason <g>. But as you say if I can get in cheap....

I live near a big lake. I'll see if the seller will plunk it in the water for me, if I decide to pursue it further. How fast does a leaky rivet show up?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm not an aluminum guy either. My boat is glass. Lots of riveted holes seems sketchy to me on an old boat but may very well be sound and GTG.

Look for any water intrusion or corrosion. Check any area that is cored with wood. Transom, deck, gunwale.......If it is wood core and skinned with aluminum and the wood gets wet, it'll rot and corrode from the inside. Check under the deck and the bilge.

I/O drives need maintenance and the older the drive the more it usually takes. Looks like an early or pre Alpha drive. I have the same one. Impeller and lower unit lube every year or two. Check the bellows. Any wear and they should be replaced. It springs a leak and you ain't gonna stay afloat. I'd want to look at the lube in the drive. Make sure it is sealed and the lube looks good. IE no metal or water. Lots of parts for those drives are available. Rams and trim pump should be in good shape, clean fluid, and obviously no leaks.

Lots of old boats are a wiring nightmare. 46 years of folks adding and removing electronics and wiring.

What type of gas tank? In floor? Make sure it is in good shape. Old tanks leak and can cause issues. Some of those issues can go boom. Make sure the blower is working.

Boat ain't any good if you can't get it to the water and that trailer looks to have some rot. Check hubs and bearings. Brakes, if it has them. You'll want a spare and an extra hub and bearing set is never a bad idea.

My boat is nearly as old. Paid little for it and have enjoyed it the last 5 years from the sound drinking beer to the pacific fishing for halibut. Old and used is always a crap shoot.

Personally, I'd look for something like a 16-18' Klamath or other skiff with a solid outboard. Keeping it simple with boats is always a plus.

Last edited by MadMooner; 07/13/17.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned a few starcraft over the years. Overall the hulls have been pretty good but one item of concern for me would be the floor. Most of the ones I owned especially in the 70's and 80's had issues with floor rot. Replacing a floor is a pretty big task depending on style of boat. Just something to check on.

living the good life every day
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
$4,500.00? You really are a fuggn idiot.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't pay anything near that. Half, maybe. I know the seller and he's motivated. We'll see.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a small 1961 Starcraft runabout. Dang tough boats. It works pretty well. That said, looks to me, like that boat has some issues on the transom, below the outdrive. Looks like somebody is trying to plug a leaky seam. There is a Starcraft forum on iboats.com, that has a wealth of info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought an 82 starcraft 16' riveted hull. she doesn't leak a drop, and the decks had recently been replaced so the interior is great. it sails across the water like a greased fart and the deep hull and vertical sides are comfortable with the wife and kids on board. I wouldn't own a fiberglass boat but that's just me. I paid $2000 for mine a month ago with a 60 horse johnson that runs like a swiss watch. see if you can test drive it first if possible. otherwise get some muffs and have the guy run it in the driveway before you settle on a price. that's what I would do anyway. not sure if the inboard has it's own cooling system or how they operate, might not be able to run it out of the water. if that's the case then insist on testing it, and watch when you pull the plug after leaving the water. if it leaks, proceed with caution.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good advice and info, thanks CO1135!

I've been too busy to explore this any further. Picked up a big new customer and it's been a hectic 6 weeks or so tooling up for their work.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
On the very bottom of the hull near the drain plug what is that black paint doing there? Something is up
I can assure you a boat of that vintage will need maintance IE a steering cable trim lines maybe a bellows kit etc

plan on it

That alum boat sitting on a roller trailer for 40 plus years not sure about that

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 07/30/17.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bought brand new 18' Starcraft Holiday 1989 had leaking rivets afer 2 months whole boat had to be re-riveted.....still had some leaking even after that never again will I buy a Starcraft

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know, thanks!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.