Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#12118328 - 06/29/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
J_D_Patrick Offline
J_D_Patrick  Offline

North Carolina
good stuff,,,,I'm beginnging a similar journey with a new drahthaar,,,,,she's 13 weeks old and we are learning,,,,,,,I've been a dog man for 40+ years but always hounds and one lab,,,,,but now a new friend,,,,,

thanks for sharing your journey

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
CMG 300 BP

#12120118 - 06/30/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
Good luck with the DD!! The ones I've been around are GREAT hunting dogs. Looks like I got bit by the photobucket monster. Thread is quite lame now without the pics...

#12132065 - 07/07/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
Azshooter Offline
Campfire Guide
Azshooter  Offline
Campfire Guide

Tucson, Az.
Enjoyed reading about the journey with your new dog. My wife convinced me to get a male GWP pup this Feb. Our 3 yr old GWP female took to him immediately. Now they play together and hunt the property. Looking forward to the quail opener this Oct. Lots of training to do in the meantime.
Snake avoidance training next saturday.

I would encourage you to get a tracking collar. I realize they are pricey but should you loose a dog, as I did before those collars were available, the agony of trying to find the dog makes the collar worth far more than any money you have to spend. Dealing with a lost dog for a few days will turn you inside out. This is something no one needs to endure any longer. Sure your dog won't wander off but all it takes is once! Heck he could fall into a mine shaft (as a friend's did in Montana) or some other strange situation. How would you find him?

It can be an invaluable tool as you will know if the dog is on point when out of sight and you won't encourage him to return via buzzer or whistle. In heavy cover you will know what the dog is doing and if he has suddenly come across a deer and is chasing it.

#12132359 - 07/07/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
AZ- Thanks for the kudos and good luck with the new pup! I'd love to get Hank to AZ to see if he could figure out quail there without getting ever sticker and spine in the country inside him. I've hunted Gambels on foot without a dog and Mearns with a guide. Quite the experiences, both of them!

#12135630 - 07/08/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
Mjm316 Offline
Mjm316  Offline

Alaska
Dang I sure wish your pics would show up! Stupid photobucket!! Pudelpointer is on our short list

Alpha

#12141836 - 07/12/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
Last weekend was another training day. Had ordered a couple of ducks to get him some experience with them. First one we taped the wings up and let go on dry land. He flinched, but then caught on that what we wanted. Got 2 retrieves out of that bird... Next one just had the flight feathers plucked and set loose on the water. Took him a bit to catch up to him, but boy did he seem to like it!! Got 3 live retrieves from that bird...

Here's Hank bringing back his first water retrieved duck.
[Linked Image]Untitled

Last edited by pointer; 07/12/17.
#12168926 - 07/26/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
J_D_Patrick Offline
J_D_Patrick  Offline

North Carolina
hank seems to be coming along great!

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
#12169003 - 07/26/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: J_D_Patrick]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
Originally Posted by J_D_Patrick
hank seems to be coming along great!
Thanks! I'm happy with his progress considering the limited time I have to work with him due mostly to kids activities. Lately we've been working on "steady" to flush with the bumpers in the yard. He's kinda getting it, but then will get too excited and take off before I can give the "fetch" command.

#12281816 - 09/20/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
This past weekend, I joined a guy from the local conservation club in Michigan's UP for Hank and I's first attempt at ruffed grouse. The country and birds are much different than the planted birds we hunt at home or the CRP/shelterbelts we hunted pheasants in North Dakota last year. This is the cover we were seeking out and where we were finding birds.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wary birds and cover like that means that you can get a lot of birds ups and not a lot of shot opportunities and many times not even a glimpse of the flush, just the sound. The guy I went with has two Braque Fracais and we usually ran Hank with the female. She's older and has a pretty good grasp of how to hunt this cover and these birds. This was good for me as I could see how she was reacting and then could guage how Hank would react when covering the same ground. He would usually get birdy where she did and you could tell he was picking up something in the same places, which was good news for me. The first day, Hank got his first point in...of a dead bird! lol Guy shot and we didn't see the bird go down, we worked forward and all of the sudden Hank turned inside out and POINT! The bird was dead, but it was a treat to see that light bulb come on. Later that same day, after bumping a few prematurely, he finally struck a point on a woodcock. They were out of season, but it was fun to see him pick up on another species.

The final morning, we hunted Hank by himself to see how he'd do. When alone, he didn't range out quite as far, but he did hunt and work the cover well. In about an hour and half he put up three grouse, two that he pointed; the last was which was a blast to watch. These ruffeds run more than I had ever seen the ones in UT and ID do. Hank started getting birdy and lined out a bit on a track. POINT! I moved in and he moved up. Nothing. We kept working it and about 20yards later he pointed again! Once more of that same routine and he finally got the bird pinned. He locked up as well as he does (he's far from a stylish point) and the bird got up. I had a bit of shot opportunity, but didn't connect. Regardless it was great to see him doing it seemingly well and on his own.

In summary, we didn't bag a lot of birds, but we moved quite a bit birds. The weather was unseasonably hot which resulted in many more mosquito's than anticipated. Hank does not like to hunt too long at 80ยบ. It was a new experience for both of us and a good time. I'd like to get back there or to similar country and try it later in the year with the leaves off and possibly some snow on the ground. Some things we need to work on; steadiness to point. He broke point a bit more than he should. Once to the point of flushing then proceeding to catch a fat, lazy woodcock. He's still crowding birds a bit too much, but I'm not sure how I can help him figure that out. I think wild birds, if given enough exposure to them, will teach him that. And lastly, some basic obedience. His recall was great! Even coming to the tone of the ecollar. Heel was good enough to not get him in trouble in the field. Being better at heel and stay would have gotten him into less trouble at the cabin. I was pretty darn tickled how he did. He's far from finished or even a good hunting dog, but he's getting better, he's mine, and we had fun!

Hank's 1st and 2nd ruffed grouse!
[Linked Image]DSCN2148 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN2156 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Other shots from the trip
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/37344273925_81af5cbb60_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Upon seeing this one, my boys were like "Hank's wrestling! He's putting in the half-Nelson!"... :rolleyes:
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4419/37153216876_3c58fe8a85_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

#12282276 - 09/20/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
30338 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
30338  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Denver
Looks like he is turning into a great dog. In the cover you were in, I'd never touch a feather on a grouse.

Last edited by 30338; 09/20/17.
Bravo

#12282561 - 09/20/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
It's tough shooting that's for sure. Not sure if great is the proper adjective, but we have fun and every once in a while get something killed.

Though I don't get to do it as often as I'd like, but it makes me smile watching how happy a dog is doing what they were bred/trained to do. It's easy to tell by watching them that they are doing what they were meant to do.

#12302336 - 09/29/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
Nebraska Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nebraska  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

That face really says it all...... laugh

#12302447 - 09/29/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
ryoushi Offline
Campfire Regular
ryoushi  Offline
Campfire Regular

Nice work Pointer! Hank's on it, gonna be a great season for you!

#12302894 - 09/29/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
battue Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
battue  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

outside the burgh
Sounds like he did just fine for his first go on Eastern Ruffed Grouse. High temps do little for his nose or endurance and leaves still up the same for the shooting.

That second Bird looks like a big Bull Grouse, but an abundance of young Birds is what one hopes for. I'd say you both did fine under difficult conditions.

Heading up there in a couple weeks.

laissez les bons temps rouler
#12306780 - 10/02/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
Thanks for the kind words. I think he'll do just fine if I can get more birds in front of him. I don't live in a place with wild birds of any number...

You guys with dogs will get my dilemma. I drew a hard to draw elk tag and a deer tag in MT this fall. That's good. The bad part is that trip is going to eat up a bunch of leave I had hoped to use for a bird trip or two. The tags are for an area known to hold some sharptails and huns. So, now I'm considering on taking Hank with me to MT. Will probably board him nearby until the big game tags are filled as I'm not sure he or I have the patience for him to be along on that portion of the trip. May have him along for the the deer part, but most certainly not the elk part. Perfect plan would be to tag out the first day or two and leave a few days to chase birds. Here's to hoping we can pull that off!

Battue- That second bird was by far the biggest we shot on the trip.

Last edited by pointer; 10/02/17.
#12307815 - 10/02/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
J_D_Patrick Offline
J_D_Patrick  Offline

North Carolina
I enjoyed the hunt recap,,,,my 6 month old pup and I are headed to the UP here in a week or so (depends on work schedule),,,,hope to get on some birds but will be happy just to explore for next year

#12308827 - 10/03/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
JD- Good luck!! Hopefully they get a freeze or two before then. The mosquitos were a pain! The leaves were starting to turn a bit, so you should be hitting it pretty well for color.

#12401099 - 11/16/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
I haven't updated this much lately as I haven't done much except some work in the yard with bumpers and obedience stuff. My plan for Veteran's Day weekend was to head to Iowa to meet a guy for some pheasant hunting. The Monday before the guy contacted me and let me know that he'd had a death in the family and would be out of town. I very much understood and hold absolutely no ill will. However, this put me into a bit of a quandry. While I had posted in a previous thread on here about Iowa pheasant hunting, I didn't really know where to go. For the price of the trip to Iowa, I could buy a whole bunch of birds to release myself or to visit preserves here at home. Between JLS and my wife, they convinced me that going to Iowa was the better choice, so Thursday after work Hank and I headed out.

I had a general idea where the guy I was going to with hunted, so I booked a room and did some internet recon. My co-worker is from the part of Iowa that I'd be staying in and his family have a farm there so that help me center in where I would base out of. Long story short I spent 2.5 days bouncing from one public land spot to another as well as some time on the co-workers family farm. Hank and I moved quite a bit of birds over that time with a very high hen:rooster ratio. To the order of 10:1. Even though they couldn't be shot, the hens gave Hank some very valuable lessons!

The first day out, Hank was full of piss and vinegar, charging through cover working far and wide. By the third day he was beat up! Scritches and scratches everywhere, footsore, and tired. Until he got a whiff of bird or flushed one then it was back to game on! The last bird of the trip was "The One". We had moved 9 hens on this piece of ground, with him having pointed a good number of them, two of which he pinned between me and him before the flush! We were working our way back to the truck when we jumped a deer. The deer bounded up and off the property. A minute or two later, Hank was quartering in front of me when he started getting birdy and lined out a bit on a track. He'd lose it for a second, come back to find it, and kept moving on. I was thinking that he was probably trailing the deer and attempted to recall him with his collar's tone. No response. As he neared the edge of the cover I got ready to give him a shock when he locked up on point! By this time he was about 75yds away and he took me a bit to get over there as the grass was tall/thick enough and laid over enough that one had to sort of goose step through it. I get there and he's still locked up on a piece of cover about the size of a dinner table. I move in front of him and he holds! One more step and a roosters launches out cackling and flying for all it's worth. One shot and the bird's down, Hank grabs it and brings it to hand. It was fun to see him find, track, point, and retrieve the bird! If they could all just work out that smoothly...

When Hank was younger I used to tease that he was a hunting breed and not a hunting dog until I had shot some wild birds over him. More recently, I teased that he wasn't a versatile breed as he'd only done upland birds. Well, I can't do that anymore. I retrieved his first duck that I was able to shoot after jumping it off a creek and also jumped then retrieved a cottontail I shot!

[Linked Image]DSCN2282 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

[Linked Image]DSCN2300 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4566/37674879304_5f12e9da23_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Fun trip and Hank and I both learned a lot! Now, to figure out how to get back to Iowa again this season...

#12401301 - 11/16/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
ZKight89 Offline
ZKight89  Offline

Central FL
This made for a great read pointer! Perfect timing for me to see this, we're headed to pick out our first lab pup this afternoon.

#12402785 - 11/17/17 Re: New dog journey... [Re: pointer]  
pointer Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pointer  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Indiana
Thanks and good luck with the pup!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 180
AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
538 registered members (12344mag, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 1234, 257Bobs, 65 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 453 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.