Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Folks,

I'm renting a uhaul 5x8 enclosed trailer next month to tow a motorcycle(dirtbike) from Texas to Colorado. I'll be using my Tundra(4.6L) as the tow vehicle. The total weight of the trailer, including bike and gear will be appx 1350 pounds. Uhaul states the max tow speed as 55 mph. I know this is probably due to liability, but assuming the tires are in good shape and properly inflated, trailer loaded with weight biased towards the front, dry road, etc. what is the max speed you'd recommend? Would 70-75 mph be out of the question, or should I back it down a bit? I can't imagine driving 950 miles at 55-60 mph, but if anything beyond is creating undue risk, I'm ok backing it down.

What do you guy's think?

Last edited by wbyfan1; 07/13/17.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pretty short.....probably develop a death wobble pretty easy.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd go the speed limit.

Realistically, check the tires and see what they're rated for. 75 may be pushing it on smaller trailer tires.

Last edited by tzone; 07/13/17.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
All I can say is, when I pulled one from here to Grand Rapids MI (1100 + miles) - I wasn't pulling @ 55 smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In September 2015 I towed one of those trailers from central NC to here, in East Texas, just over 1,000 miles with my '06 Tundra. 70-75mph was not an issue. No wobble and the tongue length helped stabilize it.

Your plans re: weight distribution, tire condition and inflation are spot on.

Go for it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I pulled a few of them across the country several times for moves when I was in the military. I can testify that they do just fine at 85 grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who drives at 55 MPH these days. Check tires and safety chains.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never forget that they also rent to people that could not backup a trailer 12' if their life depended on it................

They MUST instruct to ALL

Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I pulled a few of them across the country several times for moves when I was in the military. I can testify that they do just fine at 85 grin

THIS>>>>>>>>>>>

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speed limit is fine. As stated, make sure you have sufficient tongue weight for stability.
I know for a fact that those same U-Haul tires on a car hauler will survive a brief stint to 105 mph with a Nissan Exterra on the trailer. (Don't ask me how I know). smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Check the speed limits for towing in the states you'll pass through. My home state has different posted speed limits on the interstate for passenger vehicles vs commercial trucks and anyone towing a trailer, 65 vs 55 in most area, 70 vs 60 in one. I assumed that 55 mph limit on the U-Haul trailer was to keep people in compliance with towing laws. That's just an assumption though.

As long as the tow vehicle is up to it, adequate wheel base, brakes for the trailer's weight, etc, and as long as the load is positioned in the trailer correctly, I don't think there's any practical need to stay at 55 or below, but .. a ticket is kind of a practical concern.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Judging by the amount of people towing U-Hauls who keep up with me or pass me when I am doing 75 mph, it shouldn't be a problem unless you need to perform an emergency maneuver or stomp on the brakes.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be afraid of getting rear-ended going 55.......I'd go at least as fast as the semi trucks.

Last edited by centershot; 07/13/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Who drives at 55 MPH these days. Check tires and safety chains.

I drive the speed limit unless I am in Kansas. Then its BTTW.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are concerned about the stability of the trailer, rent one slightly larger. You will appreciate more width and a taller ceiling anyway to facilitate getting your motorcycle inside and securing it properly.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coming back from the smokey mountains about 10 years ago I was side by side with a ford ranger pulling a U haul trailer. We weren't going crazy but probably 70 - 75mph

At one point I was ahead of him by several car lengths when we came over a hill and traffic was stopped. I had no problem stopping. Him...not so much. I looked up in my rear view mirror as I was close to coming to a stop and saw his truck go sideways with the trailer and then both of them were doing a barrel roll down the highway taking up pretty much the width of the 2 lanes of I-75 coming toward me. It was an ass puckering moment for me as I was in the family truckster and pretty much blocked in where I couldn't get out of the way.

Fortunately (for me) they rolled down into the median and ended up beside us. Both the driver and the passenger crawled out of the passenger door relatively unscathed but certainly shook up taking the lords name in vain repeatedly at the top of their lungs.

So I'm sure you can get to speed...stopping may be another story.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/13/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I pull a snowmobile trailer with 8" wheels at 70 mph and have never had a problem. I don't think anyone listens to the 55 mph claim. When you stop for food or gas put your hand on the hubs, if there hot to the touch your driving to fast and or have wheel bearing problems if not hot than you're fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
weight it towards the front and run 100 if you like,uhaul trailers have bigger tires.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found they smooth right out above 85.

Last edited by 21; 07/13/17.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a 8'X5' Pace enclosed trailer and tow it at interstate speeds or maybe a little faster with full size pickups, a suv, and even a jeep.
Never a hint of a problem.
It just stays in place and hauls stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd go the speed limit.

Realistically, check the tires and see what they're rated for. 75 may be pushing it on smaller trailer tires.
Trailer tires (ST) are most often rated for 65 mph. I would NOT go over that. And the note on the trailer re:55 mph is just a way for them to transfer responsibility onto you if you have a crash and is found to be over that limit..

Every U-Haul trailer I see is goin' at LEAST 10 over the tire limits and usually 10 over the road's speed limit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
If you are concerned about the stability of the trailer, rent one slightly larger longer. You will appreciate more width and a taller ceiling anyway to facilitate getting your motorcycle inside and securing it properly.

Sorry - slight correction.. Longer trailers definitely pull better with less chance of 'sway'...(loaded correctly, of course).. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd go the speed limit.

Trailer tires (ST) are most often rated for 65 mph. I would NOT go over that. And the note on the trailer re:55 mph is just a way for them to transfer responsibility onto you if you have a crash and is found to be over that limit..

Every U-Haul trailer I see is goin' at LEAST 10 over the tire limits and usually 10 over the road's speed limit..

Yep, read the tires. I would NOT exceed the tire rating.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Folks,

I'm renting a uhaul 5x8 enclosed trailer next month to tow a motorcycle(dirtbike) from Texas to Colorado. I'll be using my Tundra(4.6L) as the tow vehicle. The total weight of the trailer, including bike and gear will be appx 1350 pounds. Uhaul states the max tow speed as 55 mph. I know this is probably due to liability, but assuming the tires are in good shape and properly inflated, trailer loaded with weight biased towards the front, dry road, etc. what is the max speed you'd recommend? Would 70-75 mph be out of the question, or should I back it down a bit? I can't imagine driving 950 miles at 55-60 mph, but if anything beyond is creating undue risk, I'm ok backing it down.

What do you guy's think?

You'll be fine. Hundreds of those trailers are drug up and down the interstates everyday at speeds greater than 55mph. Would I bomb down a mountain going three digits? No. Cruise 70ish across texas and Colorado? Sure.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've pulled trailers close to a million miles going to rodeos all over the west. From 1 horse single axles to 36' stock trailers and some tractor trailers. Load them tongue heavy and put 10 pounds more air than the tires are rated for. Keep them level or tongue low when loaded. A few of the trailers like your renting are prone to whip so if the above doesn't help get a bigger one. Speed doesn't seem to affect this at all.

YMMV, Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've hauled a number of U-Haul trailers many times between 70 and 80 mph without a problem..
Just use common sense and drive appropriately for the traffic conditions..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Most utility trailers have ST rated tires that max out at 65 MPH. Much higher, they will start to over heat because of the sidewall flexing. Can you get away with going faster---maybe. A blowout at 70 mph on a trailer is fun to watch if it happens to someone else. Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, speed that is.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been my experience nothing good comes from being in a hurry with a trailer, forward or backward.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remove their 55 mph sticker !!!! Haul ass ,them little tires will spin right off the rim !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Same here....coast to coast. One trip was under 50 hrs.....67 Camaro both times.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Load it properly and rock on, 55 is silly, on interstate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tow any speed you want, but don't plan any successful liability claim against u haul if the trailer self destructs and your bike gets totaled.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
CHeck hitch, chains, tires, pressure, bearings.

Drive sensibly. 55mph is dangerous on interstates down in America.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First rented a U-Haul (4x6) to move to AZ from PA in 1961, and my 54 Chev with the OHV 6 hardly would turn more than 60 - so we chose 55. Since then I have rented many, many and learned quite a bit about U-Haul. They build them strong, use good materials and have a well-proven design. And, seems they use better tires than those we usually get at tire stores for our light trailers. All of the above is to their advantage - avoidance of road trouble means good rep and repeat customers. There is a reason why you see so many sailing down the Interstates - running fast - without problems.

Apply the advice given above by some experienced trailer guys (size, loading, tongue weight, etc.) and have a good, safe and speedy trip.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
Most utility trailers have ST rated tires that max out at 65 MPH. Much higher, they will start to over heat because of the sidewall flexing. Can you get away with going faster---maybe. A blowout at 70 mph on a trailer is fun to watch if it happens to someone else. Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, speed that is.

I'm probably one of the few guys that had a blow-out with a U-Haul trailer on the freeway, and walked away.

I rented a U-Haul tow-dolly, different than the trailer, but same limitations. Started in Alabama with decent, but worn tires on the dolly, and 56 Chevy sedan as the load. By the time I made Tennessee, one of the tires had to be replaced, it was shredding the tread. I asked for an inspection of the dolly and was told it was "good to go". I was given two new tires and rolled on.

By the time I reached Oregon, the tires were down to 25% tread and badly cupped. I had a half a day to go, screw-it, press on. Mid-day on the freeway, the right dolly tire blew, dragging my pick-up into the guard rail, and the load. We bounced down the guardrail, and I did as best I could keep the two vehicles straight. The pick-up finally caught the guardrail or a post, bounced to the left, and we came around 180 with the tow dolly pushing us forward.

When everything came to a screeching halt, the pickup was sitting in the right lane looking back down the freeway at oncoming traffic, the tow dolly hitch was wrapped under the rear pickup axle and the 56 Chevy was sitting up against the guard on the dolly facing in the direction of travel, beside my door.

Point being - check the equipment, and make sure it's performing as it should. I should have turned the defective one in when I reached Tennessee, or used an auto transporter. If it doesn't look right, don'y accept the rental.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most, but not all, ST tires have a 65mph speed rating. I have some of the new Goodyears made in America and they are an ST with an 87mph rating. Having lost a tire tread while towing, I can tell you it isn't fun and frequently causes some pretty bad damage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure they're aired up. Check the bearings. Make sure your tongue weight is good. But if you dump that thing going over 55, you better have a rider on your insurance.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have a drive on trailer for a 51 Willys Jeep the wife has.

Buddy was in a hurry to get home from NM hunt once...

I"ll just say that it hit 3 digits for quite some amount of time, but he claims it never hurt the trailer because the trailer or tires were never on the pavement at that point....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I towed the same trailer from AL to AZ, and I had it crammed to the gills. I averaged about 75 most of the trip(I was glad to leave AL). No issues, but I made sure it had good rubber before I left.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't limit my speed to 55. But about 65 is as fast as I want to pull any trailer. Since most trailer tires are rated for 65 that is a good limit in my opinion.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
plug in Sammy Hagar

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For years U-haul had a limit of 45 on all their trailers. I guess they got tired of being laughed at and raised it to 55. 55 on a busy highway can be dangerous with as zillion cars trying to pass you at 70+. It's just a liability game Uhaul plays.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
I wouldn't limit my speed to 55. But about 65 is as fast as I want to pull any trailer. Since most trailer tires are rated for 65 that is a good limit in my opinion.
That..

FWIW, on the yearly trip to the Sturgis Rally with the toy hauler, I set the cruise at 65 (if on the Interstate) and that's as fast as I go - no matter if the speed limit's 70.. Also use TPM systems on the trailer tires. That's saved me several times from having damage to the trailer when (not if) I have a flat tire during the trip..

To the OP: does U-Haul supply spare tires/wheels with their trailers? I've never rented one so I have no idea.. I hope they do - and IF so, I hope you bring a jack and tools to change a tire..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's freeway speed limit is 80, trucks 70. We have some cars doing 80, many doing 75, trucks 65 to 70, and RVs from 65 to 80. There's a lot of passing, dodging, and dangerous driving. I think it was safer and just about as fast before they raised it from 75. A few days ago I had a guy in a motorhome doing close to 80 with a cell phone in his ear drift over and push me onto the shoulder. I sure wish he would have pulled into a rest stop where I could have discussed it with him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Higher than 55 is OK physically; but, if an accident does occur, you are on your own and U-Haul (or other company) is off the hook entirely.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by JMR40
That..

FWIW, on the yearly trip to the Sturgis Rally with the toy hauler, I set the cruise at 65 (if on the Interstate) and that's as fast as I go - no matter if the speed limit's 70.. Also use TPM systems on the trailer tires. That's saved me several times from having damage to the trailer when (not if) I have a flat tire during the trip..

To the OP: does U-Haul supply spare tires/wheels with their trailers? I've never rented one so I have no idea.. I hope they do - and IF so, I hope you bring a jack and tools to change a tire..

Off topic-
Lee, what brand TPMS do you have on the trailer?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As with most things related to towing, "PULLING" is usually much less of a concern than "SUDDEN STOPS" or "Maneuvers". Checking tire pressure, tire condition, proper loading (tongue heavy) all go a long way toward minimizing tire failure and other excitements.

Open road with good forward visibility, 70-75mph probably not unreasonable. Crowded urban rush hour traffic, even 55mph might be "over driving" your ability to maintain control. Common sense goes a long way toward having an "uneventful" trip...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at the tire and axle set-up on these trailers. They are usually way stronger than the box. The axles look stronger than the axles on my toy hauler. 6 lug wheels on a 5 x 8 trailer? Those usually have 8 ply tires on them. I think U-haul builds them knowing they will be abused. However by stating on the contract that 55 mph is tops they got you if something goes bad.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is U-haul liable when an 18 wheeler plows into the back of one of its trailers being hauled at 55mph on an interstate highway with a 70mph speed limit?

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=FlaRick]Is U-haul liable when an 18 wh
No, that would be the driver and the trucking company, unless there was a posted minimum of higher than 55

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I agree that 55 is dangerous on the interstate that has a posted 70 mph limit. I would not rent a uhaul if you can't safely go over 55. P.o.s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pretty short.....probably develop a death wobble pretty easy.

TOUNGE WEIGHT

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next up-

Who tears the tags off their mattresses? The good, the bad, and the ugly, the real world ramifications of this dangerous practice.

LOL
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Put some weight in the bed of the Tundra. The light rear end is a lot of what went wrong with the guy and the Ranger. Moral is to look well ahead Is the price of a longer trailer higher? Any of them have surge brakes? Any time you get a trailer with a wheelbase shorter than the truck backing becomes a real headache. I only once had trouble with a trailer; canned ham behind a T100 ,hit a whoopee on solid ice at 40, counter steered about 4 times and the trailer went clear to the jacknife position. I thoutht I was gonna buy it but recovered. It was 2 am. so that helped. The little off camber spot is still there and brings back memories every time through.

I agree that 55 is a way to get rear ended, or cause trouble for other vehicles traveling at highway speeds.

TV this morning showed a U Haul behind a ? that plowed into a semi, didn't see more, but one killed.

Last edited by kennyd; 07/14/17.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
How does Uhaul know what speed the trailer was pulled at?

Do the trailers have recorders?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

You never know...Pays to look under any vehicle you rent. GPS data loggers are cheap, small, and can be powered off of the taillight wire to keep them charged and they can run more than 30 days without being recharged..

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

Most large construction sites around here have Tattle-Tale transponders on every piece of equipment on the job, to protect against theft. (They also Mark the property, that Tattle-Tale is in use) and it would be very easy to track any trailer by it's transponder code, if it has one. If it were me, I'd install it inside the tounge, feed it off the brake light wires, and tie to the frame for an antenna.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've had no problems towing u-haul trailers at speeds I won't mention here behind my Tundra. I don't think uhaul really gives a schitt, just a CYA on their part.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 9 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,406
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.