24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can anyone direct me to a page that has a registration form for re-entry back into the US for your firearms? I realize Canada has a form but does the US require one for bringing your firearm back into the US?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You're asking about CBP form 4457.

"Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad"

Fill it out prior to leaving the USA, made my re-entry into the USA, with my hunting rifle, quite easy. The rifle was inspected by US agents on my departure and return from Washington State. . The Canadians were actually pleased to see it, and just charged me their $25 entry fee for the rifle.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/form-4457-certificate-registration-personal-effects-taken-abroad

Regards, Guy

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, that is correct and Thank you.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Good luck.

I haven't planned the specifics of the hunt, better to be prepared in any event, but thank you for the wishes:-)

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, US doesn't require one. Matter of fact they didn't even request to see my guns.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"better to be prepared" never had to worry myself either, but I guess that is why we have this forum, so we can all share knowledge and experiences. They wouldn't have a form if they didn't require it though? Never have I been to the border with a rifle so this is another reason I asked.

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sometimes U.S. Customs asks to see proof of firearms ownership when returning from other countries, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a 4457. A U.S. sales receipt for the firearm also works, or even the Canadian import form.

It also depends on what else you're bringing back. I've hunted in Canada at least 15 times, and when bringing game back the U.S. side has rarely been interested in the firearms. Instead they want to inspect the meat and its export form.

A lot of it depends on the individuals at the port of entry. Was once held up at a little tiny border crossing between Alberta and Montana by a jerk of a U.S. Customs agent who couldn't believe Alberta had higher limits on waterfowl than the U.S.--or that my wife actually hunted too. Eventually the other agents at the crossing helped straightened him out--but we also had plenty of documentation, which counts for a lot when crossing international borders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As noted, the Canadian import form work fine. I, along with dozens of firearms, moved their using said form(s) as required. I them 4 1/2 years later upon my return to the US.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Definitely complete a 4457 form before leaving the states, when completed it certifies that you had the items listed in your possession before leaving.

I travel to Canada 15 - 20 times a year, always with firearms since I am going for competitions. I have never had any hassle from Canadian customs but I cannot say the same about re-entry into the U.S. In my experience it all depends on the agent you happen to encounter, some of them just seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to firearms, others are not a problem.

I also list binoculars, cameras, spotting scopes, rifle scopes, since some of them are foreign made by listing them you have proof that you left with them and did not buy them in Canada . I even list the ammo I take - a couple of years ago I had an agent try to confiscate the ammo I was returning with, he was totally convinced that I could not bring my unused ammo back into the U.S. I finally got a supervisor to straighten him out but it ended up costing me a couple of hours time and frustration.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Interesting thing, coming back into Washington with my rifle, after the Alaskan hunt.

The first guard didn't recognize the signature of the border agent who had signed my 4457 three weeks earlier and acted like she doubted it was legit.

Somehow I remembered the guys name! He was a good guy, even wished me well on my trip & hunt. I mentioned his name and she relaxed instantly. I did have to have the rifle serial number verified again. Ya, the US side was a lot more thorough than the Canadian side of things.

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

That tends to be true of Canada, but I've seen the opposite now and then.

Have also had some interesting experiences bringing firearms back into the U.S. from other countries. On one occasion, arriving in Miami from Argentina with two shotguns, I handed a young U.S. agent my custom form, which had both shotguns on it. I was firmly informed that my form was no good, because "you have to fill those out every time you leave the country." I said no, they're good for life, and when the young agent strenuously disagreed, I said, "Get your supervisor." The supervisor took one look at the form, rolled his eyes, and waved me through.

Another time I came back from Africa and handed a large, muscular young agent the store receipt for my .375 H&H. I hadn't bothered with the custom form because a receipt from a U.S. store, with your name on it, is proof you purchased the rifle in the U.S. before leaving the country. He looked at it and immediately said, "You got a good deal on that Ruger No. 1!"--and also waved me through. I believe you know both the store and the rifle....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the shares people, it is not rare that things do happen coming back to the US. Definitely, want to make sure to be prepared for the situations that may occur.

Oscar Wilde~~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Be as ready as you can for customs, both ways, they can be Jeckle, and Hyde.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Be as ready as you can for customs, both ways, they can be Jeckle, and Hyde.

The regulations change with the shift change!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or even between the members of that particular shift.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recall a few years ago, upon returning to the States from a Newfoundland moose hunt, that US customs did not want to inspect guns, but we needed to stop to fill out a form to transport the meat back into the United States. No charge, just a small wait, so I guess if I went again I'd try to fill that out ahead of time.

Incidentally, they walked a German Shepherd along a group of us waiting in line. The dog stopped and sniffed at a rough looking woman's crotch. The woman INSTANTLY became irate, and was dragged into an interview room. The last thing I saw as the door closed was a butchy looking customs woman donning a black rubber glove. I was glad we got stopped just to see that!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see that the 4457 has a new incarnation and an expiration Date as well. My old ones are expired? Did my ownership expire?

Odd to think that a documenting proving ownership might expire.....

SCI is advising that expired forms will not be accepted in some locations.

I hope this is not the case for returning from Canada! this is just proof of ownership... nothing more.

Any experience or thoughts?

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have no experiences as of yet. Thoughts? Hmm, I will make sure I have one coming and going. Strange I think, yes, but I don't travel through Canada often. Not much input for you but a general reply.

Oscar Wilde~~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shortside
I see that the 4457 has a new incarnation and an expiration Date as well. My old ones are expired? Did my ownership expire?

Odd to think that a documenting proving ownership might expire.....

SCI is advising that expired forms will not be accepted in some locations.

I hope this is not the case for returning from Canada! this is just proof of ownership... nothing more.
lle
Any experience or thoughts?

I just took a look at my 4457's, some of which are over 20 years old, and they have many different expiration dates on the form. This is not unusual for government forms, it only means that some change has been made to the form and a new date is assigned when the change takes place and new forms are printed. I just filled out a couple of 4457's the other day and the expiration date on them is 2014, when they are all used up they will start using 4457's with a different date on them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.