E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EdM
I'm hoping to load some 220gr. RN stuff around 1,900fps.

Does anybody know of a commercial caster that makes something that would work with these?

Dave

I have been pleased with stuff from these folks.

http://westernbullet.com/30caliber.html

Are those prices including lube and gas checks or is that something you have to do yourself?

Dave

Sized and lubed.

http://westernbullet.com/rc3gr1.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Any advice on loading for one of these? I need to lay in some components.

Dave

Your box is full again, did you ever get a Shockwave? Thoughts?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I loaded the two I had with the Hornady 220 gr. RNSP and 40.0 grains of IMR 4350. Seemed to duplicate the military load and shot to POA with the original sights. If you just bought the rifle, it's a good idea to carefully inspect the locking lug on the bolt for cracks before using it.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/07/17.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Any advice on loading for one of these? I need to lay in some components.

Dave

Your box is full again, did you ever get a Shockwave? Thoughts?

Negative. Will be looking this weekend. On the road.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I loaded the two I had with the Hornady 220 gr. RNSP and 40.0 grains of IMR 4350. Seemed to duplicate the military load and shot to POA with the original sights. If you just bought the rifle, it's a good idea to carefully inspect the locking lug on the bolt for cracks before using it.

Thanks.

It has already been gone over by somebody that knows more about them than I.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks, Ed.

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

I've used your particular load for a few years myself. It worked pretty well on a few white tails over the years.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Have loaded the Krag for twenty years. Most have about as long a throat as a WBY freebore. Best loads were usually with 150 grain BTs or Spire points.Varget. Mild accurate and 2700 fps.Then...the last batch of loads were with 190 grain LR Accubonds. H4831 no chrono data but five into a forty caliber hole at 100 yards (from a 22 inch Contender re chambered from a 30/30). Nosler says LRs expand down to 1300 FPS at a mild 2000 FPS MV... should be great. Just about the neatest cartridge case to work with. No surprises, just mild accurate results. In spite of a long throat try seating a 150 Hornady to the crimp groove, they just do not seem to care if they jump an inch into the rifling. So many bullets work in the cartridge, just try what you have on hand. Sierra customer service gave me the Varget data. Pulled 147 fmjs over Unique for 1300 fps are one holers at 50 yards for small game.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're loading for a Krag, I wouldn't go over 40gr. 4350/220 grain jacketed bullet. That load will give you original gov't load performance. (2000fps out of a 30" rifle barrel, probably 1850fps or so out of a 22" barrel. Doesn't sound like much but remember, that load was considered big medicine for any and all 4-legged animals in North America 100 years ago.)

When the Army cried for more oomph, Frankford Arsenal upped performance from 2000fps/220 bullet to 2200fps/220 bullet. Immediately they started getting complaints from the field that locking lugs were cracking. (Remember there's only one.) They went back to the original load and recalled all of the "new improved" ammo and all was good again. Going higher than 40 grains 4350 will put you into the same scenario. This from the Krag addicts/gurus on the Krag Collectors forum, and I believe them. It's really advisable to limit pressures in a Krag to 40K psi or less. I can't speak to M95 Winchesters and other .30-40 rifles.

In mine I load 6gr. Bullseye/155 grain plain base cast bullet for plinking. 18 grains SR-4759/180 cast for general target shooting. 40 grains 4350/210 grain cast bullet for hunting, which was my hunting load back in the 80's and it poleaxed eastern whitetails. It'll be my hunting load again this year with my recently built Krag sporter. The lead bullets don't have to be hard as sin at 2000 fps, especially if you will hunt with them. Hard cast bullets behave almost like FMJ's. Hardness of 11-13 bhn is A-ok for accuracy with no leading + reliable expansion at Krag and .30-30 velocity levels.

Sizing cast bullets for a Krag can be tricky too. Chamber, throat, and bore dimensions are all over the map in original barrels. It's advised to measure the throat and size bullets to fit it regardless of groove diameter. It's not uncommon (in fact just the opposite) to find Krags with throats as big as .314 and grooves running to .312. A good compromise is to size to .310-.311 which ought to cover most examples, if you can't measure the throat. I wouldn't even bother trying .308-.309 cast bullets- I'm so jaded about Krag bullet requirements, based on first hand experience with more Krags in my life than enough.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/11/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Excellent fun to shoot cartridge, Krags only have one locking lug so be careful.

IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks to everybody for your help. Components are on order. I'm going to try the Nosler BT's and Hornady RN. Both 220 type.

Gun is in hand. Can't wait to give it a go. Will definitely use this on deer this year. It's just too cool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I've not shot my Krag in years. The pics make me want to drag mine out of the back of the safe and run a few through it.

Looking through my notes, I've tried 220 Sierra RN's with 43.5grn IMR-4831. I can't find where I wrote down any numbers off the chronograph for that load, so work up. I am fairly positive it was right at 2000fps and around an inch for 3 at 50 yards (that was the furthest range I had that day, and between the issue sights, staring into the sun, and the sewer pipe bore on my rifle, I was happy).

I've also ran 165 Speer Hot Cors with with 40.0 grn. of IMR-3031. Same deal accuracy wise at 2330 fps (I did write down my chrony numbers on that one).

I've wanted to cast for mine, but the above mentioned sewer pipe bore has always kept me from making the investment. I THINK it was a Lyman 311284 that was designed for the Krag. LOTS of good cast bullet and load stuff over Cast Boolits.com.

I need to try to kill something this fall with that rifle.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, the Hudson-designed 311284 was intended specifically for the Krag. Works in about any .30 too. (An old acquaintance used it and a caseful of surplus 4831 in his .30-30 as his black bear whacker.)

That is a dandy Model 1896, Travis. They simply don't come much nicer.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks Gnoah.

I'm happy with it.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup, pretty nice. Didn't think you swung that way. You're gonna have to buy a wider truck.

What's next, Mausers?

What fresh Hell is this?
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pappy348

What's next, Mausers?

I could use a 98 actually...

Started when I bought my dad a Garand. Something about those old military rifles I just like.

Dave

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very nice Rifle!!!! Very nice!!!!

Well done!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks K-dub!

Can't wait to shoot it.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Travis that's about the slickest action you'll ever run. You should really enjoy that side gate and the feel of the Krag in your hands. I like em myself. Best of luck.

LOL
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
This thing is percolating...

220gr. RN are doing OK.

Pics by Monday.

Travis

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.