Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My neighbour. His eulogy. I just finished it.

Wilf Schneider's Eulogy

Wilf Schneider died on Wednesday in his 86th year. He wasn't famous, and much of his life was unremarkable. He was a simple man with simple tastes. He loved a good meal, and conversation with friends and family. He enjoyed church every Sunday, despite the dwindling membership. And he looked forward to the monthly Sunday socials. He was a staple at all Schneider and Bayless family reunions too. Bayless was his wife Maryanne's maiden name. Most of all, he loved his wife, Maryanne, and their three children - Wilf Jr, Bonnie and Jimmy. He was intensely proud of all of them.

Unlike some of his school chums, he never got into trouble with the law, the taxman, or even his in-laws. He was born into a farm family, and carried on that tradition without batting an eye.

Wilf was referred to by his city relatives as "rural folk". I don't think that it was meant as a compliment, but Wilf always considered that he was one of the lucky ones. He was an optimist who always smiled. If you have to live somewhere, he used to say, then you should go where God does his best work. We are blessed to wake up every morning to a breathtaking landscape. God adds to the canvas daily. He paints the world with vibrant colours, unique shapes, and infuses the picture with the sun and the rain, and wonderful sounds and smells.

He gave us family and friends to love. He scattered fertile soil around to grow food and feed our livestock. He remembered to provide us with a front porch - a front row seat so we could see everything that's happening in His world. He made the birds to sing for us every day. Cool well water to drink. He even gave me Maryanne, the greatest partner a man could ever have. And He put all this in the greatest country in the world. So how do you say thanks?

Ask Maryanne and the kids and they will tell you that Wilf was a gift from God. With family life in danger, in our modern time, Wilf was a rock. Simply put, he was a good man.

And Wilf will be around for a long time still. He lives on in his family and the hearts of many in the community. When you leave the service this morning, please join the Schneiders in the church park for a special luncheon. Take some time to reminisce, share a few laughs and tell your favourite Wilf Schneider story.

Wilf Jr. asked that I play this Chet Atkins song to conclude things. The kids will tell you that their dad used to listen to his favourite songs on his laptop all the time. He was a fan of 1950s and 60s country music. He always asked people not to hold that against him, and he'd laugh. I guess you could say that Wilf knew how to blend the old and the new.

He never crabbed about the changing world in which he lived. He never talked down to anyone, or complained that things were not like they used to be. He just said that God had a plan and would look after everything.

So, in honour of Wilf Sr., a simple song to end his eulogy. And thank you for coming today.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Steve.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The world desperately needs more Wilfs.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What a fine eulogy you've written!

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks.

The luncheon was well attended, and a lot of fun.

No tears or sad stories, just good food and friends enjoying the afternoon. We did tell stories about Wilf and his family. I hope my send off is half as good.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds like Wilf was one of the good ones. Very nice job on his eulogy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,053 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.