Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just received the AT One stock this morning. I needed to fit the trigger guard and forgot about taking the mag from the OEM stock and putting it in the Boyds. So I took it out again and banged the mag into the well. The mag lifts up from the OEM stock. There is a silver clip at the back which secures everything. Just give it a good tug! This is for the Stevens 200/non-accutrigger Savage SA.

It does take some light tapping with a nylon hammer and punch to get it seated. Mine did anyway. I torqued the front screw to 35 in/lb. The rear to 30in/lb. Everything fits and mechanically functions, although the butt pad for LOP was difficult to extend. It's new though, and probably has to be worked a few times. One of these mornings I will get it out to the range.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First I've seen a AT-ONE mounted on a rifle, other than the images on their web site. I guess I wasn't paying attention, but the bottom of the stock, forward of the trigger guard looks 'square', or at least there appear to be no rounded edges.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It has a flat bottom. The edges aren't sharp though. For lack of a better description, they are like the edges of a 2x4. The edges are smoothed and rounded.

I only handled it briefly. The rifle sits well on my knee and would do okay on a rest. It is 1 inch wide at the tip - the barrel end. It is 1 3/8ths wide near the mag. It is heavier than the OEM plastic, but that's to be expected. I'm guessing, but the rifle, scoped, weighs 7.5 to 8 lb. The forestock will not move if you use a bipod. Like any stock, you will either love it or hate it. So far, I like it. This particular rifle is a 243.

I will shoot it, unbedded, and if it performs, I will get another for an Axis rebuild that I am doing. I often use cut pieces of pop can as shims to level the action inside a stock. The Finns and a few other countries used to shim with brass when wood was the only stock material. Shims work well with laminated stocks.

Of course, the big selling point is the ability to change the LOP and cheek height. That's a nice feature. It will adjust correctly for most, but not all shooters.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, but why does your stock have a sling swivel on the right side of the stock?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know. It's easily removed though. Push the centre button and it detaches.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's to attach a sling....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's to attach a sling....

Yes, but why would you attach a sling to the bolt handle side of a stock?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some stocks and military rifles were configured so that the rifle would lie flat against your back and not have the heel of the butt stock, magazines, or other hardware dig into, or hit your body while walking. They bounce less than rifles with traditional bottom mounted slings. This pic is representative of the style.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I want to give a quick plug to Boyd's for their customer service and prompt delivery. I recently pulled my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker from the safe to change the scope and found that the Dura-touch finish on the stock had deteriorated into a stick mess. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on the rifle, I ordered a classic design Boyds and had them do checkering and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. I ordered the stock on June 6th, it was built on June 7th (according to date stamp in the forearm) and on my doorstep on June 10th. The stock looks great. I took it to my gunsmith for a bedding job and he also commented on it's overall appearance and said that the inletting looked good and straight, but would know more when he starts the bedding process. Based on my experience, I may pick up another Boyds to replace a rifle with a composite stock that I've never liked.

I have had generally good luck with Boyd's, but the idiots they employ for returns are beyond stupid. I bought a Marlin butt stock and it came drilled with 1/4" hole for the attach bolt, which is a tapered bolt to enable snugging up the stock to the tang. Despite sending photographs, detailed descriptions, and two replacement stocks, Boyd's failed miserably. I ended up with a new stock (drilled improperly) and a refund, simply because even the supervisor could not understand mechanical advantage.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
3584Elk, sorry you had a bad experience with your Boyd's Marlin stock. After finishing the scope install and setup of my X-Bolt 300 Win Mag, I am extremely pleased with the new Boyd's stock. The rifle is not only more accurate now, but the 1.5+ lbs. of added weight and stock design has made the rifle much more pleasant to shoot. I have a new-found confidence in the rifle that I didn't have before. Hopefully Boyd's will make it right for you.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've installed several Boyds and in general love them for what they cost. I had them checker one for a Savage muzzleloader and thought it was killer!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by tmitch; 07/20/17.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a nice looking stock. The laser engraving is excellent.

That's their Classic stock, I believe How is it for scope alignment? It might be the picture, but the comb looks like it could be higher.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, it is their Classic design. The scope alignment/cheek weld was excellent for me, however everyone is different. My face may be on the large size as I have trouble getting low enough to use the iron sights on my Winchester Safari Express and Ruger Guide Gun.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, but rifles designed to be slung on their side are designed to be slung on the left side opposite the bolt handle, as with German military Mausers, or opposite the cocking handle, as with the M-1 Carbine in your picture. Your Boyds stock has a swivel on the right rear, but no corresponding swivel that I can see on the right front, so what purpose does it serve?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tmitch
Yes, it is their Classic design. The scope alignment/cheek weld was excellent for me, however everyone is different. My face may be on the large size as I have trouble getting low enough to use the iron sights on my Winchester Safari Express and Ruger Guide Gun.

I'm glad it fits. I thought about getting that model, but was unsure about the cheek weld.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Yes, but rifles designed to be slung on their side are designed to be slung on the left side opposite the bolt handle, as with German military Mausers, or opposite the cocking handle, as with the M-1 Carbine in your picture. Your Boyds stock has a swivel on the right rear, but no corresponding swivel that I can see on the right front, so what purpose does it serve?

I would say that it is just a place to put it. I took mine off and put it, labeled, in a drawer. There are conventional swivels on the bottom of the stock.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

From Boyds website: "all At-One stocks come equipped with a single-point sling mount that, with the push of a button, can be moved to either side of the stock in seconds."

Installed on the right side of the stock, it's for carrying left handed single point.

Charter Member

szihn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That makes sense. I'm not sure how many people use a single pt. sling, but it's there if you need it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
That makes sense. I'm not sure how many people use a single pt. sling, but it's there if you need it.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I've never seen anyone, anywhere, carry any firearms that wasn't either an AR or a pistol grip equipped pump/semi-auto tactical shotgun with a single point sling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I've never seen anyone, anywhere, carry any firearms that wasn't either an AR or a pistol grip equipped pump/semi-auto tactical shotgun with a single point sling.

Yup...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's probably marketing. Look at how many products are marketed as "tactical", painted OD green or grey, or are capable of attachments like flashlights and lasers.

I just took that thing off and put it in my spare parts drawer. You know when you go to a gun show and there are always one or two guys that have cardboard boxes full of odds and ends? That's where mine will end up. Lots of people rummaging through the boxes looking for something that they might need. Most of the parts aren't recognizable, but sometimes you find a treasure.

I took the AT-One stocked rifle to the range and put a few rounds downrange. It performed about the same as the OEM stock, but fits better and is heavier. It's a 243, so recoil wasn't an issue, but the heft and flat bottom made it easier to control on the bag. I tried a few shots from the sitting position, with the stock resting on my knee. With the flat bottom, it is much more stable than traditional rounded stocks.

As a result of that, I ordered another for a walking 6x45mm bolt. It will be finished in applejack.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 30 invisible), 1,886 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.