Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Cooked a nice pot roast with potatoes, onions and carrots.
For dessert, I did a lemon merengue pie, a grapefruit merengue pie, and my great grandmother's angel food cake. Everything was done in either a 12" or 14" dutch oven.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh my ! The pies, the pies !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That, is a lot of good lookin' food.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That all looks great BRISTECD

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
On the topic of the ovens, I'd like to find a enameled light weight Dutch oven. Nice for camping, or what they call a shore lunch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
On the topic of the ovens, I'd like to find a enameled light weight Dutch oven. Nice for camping, or what they call a shore lunch.

I use mine everyday, Richard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lod.....69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good lucking chow, BRISTECD!

I picked up an Aldi's enameled cast iron braiser for $29.99 and so far have been happy with it. Have been on the lookout for the Dutch Oven every time I shop there ever since.

http://www.igotitataldi.com/2016/01/product-review-crofton-enameled-cast.html

http://www.grocerycouponnetwork.com...eled-cookware-back-aldi-29-99-dutch-oven

FYI- the enamel is not meant to be used over a campfire.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Good lucking chow, BRISTECD!

I picked up an Aldi's enameled cast iron braiser for $29.99 and so far have been happy with it. Have been on the lookout for the Dutch Oven every time I shop there ever since.

http://www.igotitataldi.com/2016/01/product-review-crofton-enameled-cast.html

http://www.grocerycouponnetwork.com...eled-cookware-back-aldi-29-99-dutch-oven

FYI- the enamel is not meant to be used over a campfire.

No biggie but not dishwasher safe. I wonder what sets that criteria.Possibly a clear coating ?

Last edited by 284LUVR; 07/15/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure, Denny. I don't put my Griswold cast iron in the dishwasher either.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pot Roast, watermelons and pies, Oh My!

I wouldn't put enameled cast iron in the dishwasher. Wife would shoot me.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Grapefruit meringue pie???
Never had or even head of one, BUT that sounds like something I would really like to try.

Like Lemon meringue, but better methinks.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
Grapefruit meringue pie???
Never had or even head of one, BUT that sounds like something I would really like to try.

Like Lemon meringue, but better methinks.

The grapefruit meringue pie is an old recipe. Made just like the lemon, but using grapefruit. Yeah, it's pretty good. I was surprised at how fast the angel food cake was devoured. - I'll need to make two next time, lol.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that a cobbler in the dutch on the side of the pies and cake?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Good eye! Yes it is. I was coaching my sister with that one - great over vanilla ice cream.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I enjoy Dutch Oven cooking. I am most impressed by the table..

Sam......

L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Great cooking skills. Nice to see people haven't forgot how they use to cook. Great presentation Bet food was great. Thanks for posting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Good eye! Yes it is. I was coaching my sister with that one - great over vanilla ice cream.

Yum, yum, yum. Peach, berry?

Haven't had real Dutch oven campfire cobbler since I was kid in the 70's when we used to visit my aunt and uncle in Folsom Ca. Every year on their ranch during 4th of July week. Family came from all over and did a sort of circle the RVs sort of thing and lots of cookouts. Cousins running around everywhere. Capped of by attending the local rodeo. Man those were good times. Long ago and far away in the State that is no longer today.

Last edited by FatCity67; 07/30/17.

"Maybe we're all happy."

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
BRISTECD, I am hungry now - Great post! You must have been up early to get this tasty meal, full of variety, preped & ready for all who attended... Oh my gosh, brings my wife's childhood memories screaming back as her Grandmother was an expert with the cast iron dutch oven in the field. The story goes...she could fix a mean blueberry cobler when my wife was young. Back one more generation, Bringing their 5 children from toddler to teens, grandma and grandpa sent the kids out picking blueberries all day (1940's), Grandma would can quarts of blueberries right there on the spot as they were brought in, dozens of quarts to last the long Minnesota winter and a blueberry cobbler at days end.
Wife has a question for you.... what are the tricks to bake those pies that are perfectly golden brown? Is it the depth of the oven into the coals, or do you use a grill or in home oven? do you use a 9 inch pie plate? how long do you bake? Would be grateful for a Private message to this regard if you can ever find the time. Thanks again from both of us.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trail_Hog
BRISTECD, I am hungry now - Great post! You must have been up early to get this tasty meal, full of variety, preped & ready for all who attended... Oh my gosh, brings my wife's childhood memories screaming back as her Grandmother was an expert with the cast iron dutch oven in the field. The story goes...she could fix a mean blueberry cobler when my wife was young. Back one more generation, Bringing their 5 children from toddler to teens, grandma and grandpa sent the kids out picking blueberries all day (1940's), Grandma would can quarts of blueberries right there on the spot as they were brought in, dozens of quarts to last the long Minnesota winter and a blueberry cobbler at days end.
Wife has a question for you.... what are the tricks to bake those pies that are perfectly golden brown? Is it the depth of the oven into the coals, or do you use a grill or in home oven? do you use a 9 inch pie plate? how long do you bake? Would be grateful for a Private message to this regard if you can ever find the time. Thanks again from both of us.

Cool story Trail_Hog. I had a place where my boys and I used to pick 5 gallon buckets full of blackberries. My wife would freeze them and we had blackberry cobblers all Fall and Winter. So, to answer your wife's question - the 9" pie shell is "cooked" first. The "filling", as I call it, has to be done on a stove and when ready, is poured into the pie shell. While cooling, I prepare the meringue. I use a 12" deep oven to brown the meringue - it takes about 10-12 minutes to brown and is easier than using an actual oven in my opinion. I have pictures of the process and would be happy to even post the recipe as soon as I figure it out. I used to use Photobucket, but, well...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.