Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of doubles shooters use 9s for the first shot, but that's a very close shot. Never for the second.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
grandsons are going to start 4H trapshooting soon.......youngest one wants to shoot his 28 guage...

How's the trap shooting working out for him?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
At the 16 yard line----no problem. Get him started to shoot trap & he'll be hooked for life. I know I can't get enough. I'm addicted to that "puff of black smoke"

wink Me too.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by nighthawk
grandsons are going to start 4H trapshooting soon.......youngest one wants to shoot his 28 guage...

the younger grandson shooting the 28 is coming along fine .......improved to hitting 12-15 per 25 round...

the older one is having a problem though....hitting is not the problem...he is a pretty good shot for 12 years and eats it up..never wants to quit shooting...the problem is he holds the gun so somehow it thumps him on the cheekbone and he ends up with a nasty bruise

we have had him try 3 different guns and it is all the same , I think it is the way he leans into the gun too far , but he is stubborn and says that is the sight picture he likes

not sure what to do with him at this point

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A common cause of that is not getting a good cheek weld. The cheek should press firmly on the stock ( but not excessively so) or you get a hammer hitting a nail effect. It also helps in keeping the shooter from raising his head as he pulls the trigger and promotes a consistent mount. It's hard to tell by observation.

Could be a stock fit problem but a form imperfection is more likely.

Yeah, they can be stubborn. I've spotted form problems where a kid just wouldn't change. After sufficient nagging they'll give in to get that jerk instructor off their back. Then you get a wide eyed look like maybe the old fart knows something when they begin to hit better. laugh

Hint: Some kids get a streak of defiance about that age. Had a kid who was coached heavily by his dad and the kid would do pretty much the opposite. Finally his dad backed off and I told the kid the same thing in a different way and progress started to be made.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by nighthawk

we have had him try 3 different guns and it is all the same , I think it is the way he leans into the gun too far , but he is stubborn and says that is the sight picture he likes

Another thing to check: He may be cross dominant and leaning hard into the stock so he gets a better sight picture with his left eye.

I shoot a 28ga almost exclusively and I prefer 7 1/2s for clay targets, but 9s will work if that's all you have. 4H here in GA shoots "modified trap" so the shooters are standing right next to the trap. Targets are close and shouldn't be out of range of #9s. Its basically like shooting low 7 in skeet except the trap is set to wobble.

If you are going to keep shooting the 28 for clays, I strongly suggest getting a MEC 9000 and reload your shells. It pays for itself pretty quick.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.