Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm on the hunt for a Ruger Alaskan 375 with the 20inch barrel. Does anyone have one here? Opinions? How's the Ammo availability?

BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
If your a lefty CDNN has them for $599. Don't know about right handed.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
And my Zimbabwe PH says its a great cartridge for his clients hunting ele,lion,buff. Ammo is available even in Zim(super expensive but available if you lost yours)

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Need a righty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a nice grizzly bear this June in AK. I used factory ammo Hornady 270 grain. Hornady makes 375 Ruger ammo. 270 grain interlock, 300 Dangerous game and 300 grain solids. I think Swift is also making 300 A frames. Factory ammo is expensive----you can handload it in anything you want.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
There's one in the classifieds.

Ruger Alaskan

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 20" Alaskan that I put a McMillan hunter stock on. It is one on my favorite moose hunting rifles. I currently handload 270 grain Barnes TSX for it. I have used factory loaded Double Tap ammo with the 270 TSX, no complaints. I see Swift loads for it now, I think Nosler does also, and there were a couple of the smaller companies that did also.
I also have a 20" Alaskan in the 416 Ruger. I have hunted with it with the factory stock and it too works well for moose and the normally very wet weather that goes with the season.
The 20" barrels to me, are pretty handy in tight quarters.
I really like the 375 Ruger cartridge and have another Ruger stainless rifle with an aftermarket 23.5" barrel and McMillan classic stock.

Originally Posted by DrDeath
I'm on the hunt for a Ruger Alaskan 375 with the 20inch barrel. Does anyone have one here? Opinions? How's the Ammo availability?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've no need for anything that big, but I think it's just a great cartridge; one that will become a standard in time. A Number 1 loaded down to .38/55 or .375 Win would be a great woods rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

I have the guide gun version, basically the same thing. It's a touch heavy. My biggest gripe is that now I don't have a legitimate reason to buy another hunting rifle. It's hard to not love a rifle that's 9 lbs with scope, 40 inches oal, strong action, resilient to tough environments, and can still get 2,000 ft-lbs at 500 yards. And it only cost me $650. I do like the new FTW configurations though.

The ammo situation is probably the non-hand loaders limiting factor. Hornady's ammo is good and you can get it online easily enough at 375 H&H prices but it really is a hand loader's cartridge.

What are you hunting? If dedicated for bear, you may want to just go up to a true big bore.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is one listed on a site that I frequent.........

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5451078981/m/7851084332

I have Alaskans in .375 and .416. Killed a lot of stuff with them , two of my favorites!

P.S. The wolf in my avatar was shot with the .375 smile

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Saw this over on Rugerforum (not my rifle)

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=257511

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome rifles--even better when you replace that clubby, sticky Hogue.

I've found ammo easy to find but factory is $3+/rd. I got in on the Midway/Hornady 270 RN close out and stocked up for ridiculous prices. I Load up a bunch of 'mild' loads at ~2600 fps for practicing with the express sights. It's one slick rifle. Google Phil Shoemaker's article about it.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the rifle but it needs a different stock.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wow Mojo, I'll bet those boat paddle stocks (even with aftermarket recoil pads) will rattle your teeth! smile Did you have to open up the barrel channel to get them to fit? I have several of those stocks but I really like the Hogue's so am leaving it alone for now, but I have always thought fitting my .416 in one for an ultra light, open sight, carry rifle would be pretty cool!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, they aren't bad at all...from field positions. I do little to no bench shooting anymore as I've gone to open sights. Even with the thin comb they really don't clobber you at all and (with my face, anyway) line up quite well with the express sights. Obviously, you want to make sure it's in your shoulder properly or you'll notice! laugh

My buddy and I have fired both handloads and the Superformance 270 grainers which are pretty dang hot. Matter of fact, my buddy got his first and I remember thinking 'why in gods name would you want a 20" .375--it's gonna be brutal on recoil and muzzle blast--nope, I shot his and had to go get my own! Mine weighs 7 lbs 6 oz in the boat paddle.

I was able to find two boat paddles in the mag contour so it was a straight drop in. I also bought a regular LA stock that I'll open up for my African.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
Wow Mojo, I'll bet those boat paddle stocks (even with aftermarket recoil pads) will rattle your teeth! smile Did you have to open up the barrel channel to get them to fit? I have several of those stocks but I really like the Hogue's so am leaving it alone for now, but I have always thought fitting my .416 in one for an ultra light, open sight, carry rifle would be pretty cool!

As an aside, if you have any thoughts about making a deal regarding one of your boat paddles, I've got the original Hogue. Just a thought.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There's a used one on the shelf at rob Peterson guns in albuquerque nm, you could try giving them a call.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Awesome rifles--even better when you replace that clubby, sticky Hogue.

I've found ammo easy to find but factory is $3+/rd. I got in on the Midway/Hornady 270 RN close out and stocked up for ridiculous prices. I Load up a bunch of 'mild' loads at ~2600 fps for practicing with the express sights. It's one slick rifle. Google Phil Shoemaker's article about it.

[Linked Image]

what is the new weight of your rifles with those stocks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

7 lbs 6 oz

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It'll reduce the velocity to the 376 Steyr speed (270 SP@ 2550) and then it will be useless.
24" minimum!!!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.